www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old October 11th, 2018, 07:35   #1
Chris_TDI_98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 mpg with leaking injection pump
Question Help what’s gonna by on in this pic. And why.

Anyone ever see something like this before.
How did you fix it.
Also, apparently the coolant temp sensor is dead or disconnected/broken wire because the glow plugs run full cycle (10 sec) above 45 degrees F when they should run and immediately shut off after 2 sec.

Chris_TDI_98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 13:58   #2
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Housing is cracked.
Abacus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 14:13   #3
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

What does your coolant look like? That looks rusty.
Old October 11th, 2018, 15:00   #4
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

I’d spend money on routine maintenance, rather than leds and other wants. Rather than the car getting stolen, you’re slowing killing it.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 15:49   #5
My_name_is_Rob
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Vento
Fuel Economy: 46 mpg

I hate to be a stickler, but you should give that thing a wash. It looks filthy.
Old October 11th, 2018, 16:05   #6
Chris_TDI_98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
Housing is cracked.
Which housing? Sorry. You mean that contraption where the coolant sensor mounts?
Old October 11th, 2018, 16:07   #7
Chris_TDI_98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_your_money View Post
What does your coolant look like? That looks rusty.
Rusty or I was dumb and mixed two conflicting types of coolants I saw somewhere that can cause that red rusty look too...
Old October 11th, 2018, 16:09   #8
Chris_TDI_98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
I’d spend money on routine maintenance, rather than leds and other wants. Rather than the car getting stolen, you’re slowing killing it.
For real. I’ll do coolant flush and refill next.
What’s the best spot along the coolant pathway to unhook a hose and put a garden hose in and blast it with water til it’s clear and clean??
Old October 11th, 2018, 16:10   #9
Chris_TDI_98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_name_is_Rob View Post
I hate to be a stickler, but you should give that thing a wash. It looks filthy.
Any tip on which spray it with so it gets off the gunk and not hurt the wires hoses and sensors ??
Old October 11th, 2018, 18:02   #10
RoseBud68
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post

-Todd
Could not agree more with this ^^^^. But hey, these kids today are only thinking about one thing.
Old October 11th, 2018, 19:50   #11
My_name_is_Rob
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Vento
Fuel Economy: 46 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_TDI_98 View Post
Any tip on which spray it with so it gets off the gunk and not hurt the wires hoses and sensors ??
I sometimes use an engine degreaser on mine, but it should be a cold engine, and it should be rinsed off with water before running the engine. Most wand car washes have an engine and tire degreaser as well, and a good soak does wonders.
Old October 11th, 2018, 21:12   #12
ketchupshirt88
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-42 with a lead foot.

Quote:
For real. I’ll do coolant flush and refill next.
What’s the best spot along the coolant pathway to unhook a hose and put a garden hose in and blast it with water til it’s clear and clean??
All of them... seriously, it’s the only way to even get a majority of the old stuff out. You want to flush the heater core, radiator, head, block, everything. You also may find that the “quick connections” with the clips and orings at the lower radiator and thermostat don’t want to seal anymore once opened. I used “right stuff” to remedy that and just open it at the hose clamp instead of the clip thing.

Some consider it bad to use green coolant in a VW... but it’s a 20 year old car in rough shape anyway, as long as you don’t mix coolant types it doesn’t really matter.

That housing is a pretty common issue with cracks, but at least it’s easy to get to and fairly cheap to replace.
ketchupshirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 21:36   #13
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
There isn't, because there are multiple paths, some of which are only open when the engine warms up. You also don't want to blast a system built for 15 psi with a 40 psi garden hose... or your next post will be about replacing a heater core.

You'll need to drain it as best you can, fill it with water, run it up to temperature, let it cool, drain it, re-fill with water... etc etc etc... until what you drain is clear. 2-3 times generally does it.

Some people pull the t-stat so that they don't have to run the engine all the way up to temperature.

All of this is in the service manual, BTW, which would probably be a great investment, given how much work you have ahead of you with this car, per all the threads... and you'll probably discover more stuff as you dig in that you'll want to research.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 23:24   #14
turbodieseldyke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 jetta
Fuel Economy: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Waldon View Post
You also don't want to blast a system built for 15 psi with a 40 psi garden hose... or your next post will be about replacing a heater core.
Assuming the lower hose (or something) will be disconnected, the system will never even reach 4psi.

To answer Chris: when I flushed mine, my nozzle fit perfectly into the reservoir cap hole, so that's where I stuck the hose. YNMV (Your Nozzle May Vary)
turbodieseldyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 09:20   #15
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseldyke View Post
Assuming the lower hose (or something) will be disconnected, the system will never even reach 4psi.
If there's any restriction, at all, which there could well be if different coolants have been mixed or the system has gunk in it... the system pressure can reach garden hose pressure... and it can be the last straw for an aging heater core.

Been there, seen it with my own eyes (luckily not my car... I was running towards my friend's car screaming "STOPPPPPP!!!!" at the time.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseldyke View Post
To answer Chris: when I flushed mine, my nozzle fit perfectly into the reservoir cap hole, so that's where I stuck the hose. YNMV (Your Nozzle May Vary)
With the t-stat closed a large segment of the cooling system circuit will not be flushed simply forcing water down the reservoir... 'cause the t-stat's exact job is to isolate that segment from normal flow.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is online now   Reply With Quote