www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old October 9th, 2018, 20:32   #1
coolbreeze
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 31/38/51
Default Why is my MPG better since phase 2 recall

I am now more then 3 months since my phase 2 recall has been completed in June and I expected more restrictive exhaust and lower mpg results per tank. My previous Fuelly results kept me squarely in the low to mid 42 per tank range.

After having my 2015 Golf SE TDI DSG with 38k miles phase 2 recall work completed I expected lower tank averages, but to my surprise I have increased by over 3mpg. This is also summer results which can be my lowest results other then winter driving.

The only negative I have experienced is higher then normal Ad Blue use. I am burning through at a quicker pace then normal but I can deal with that since my average tank is up considerably. My miles at refill are running in the mid 500's easily were I had to visit my Sheetz station right at 500 on most tanks prior.
Old October 10th, 2018, 02:57   #2
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

I also noticed a higher MPG rate.

It seems that the phase 2 fix does better with higher cetane than it did pre-fix.

As far as Ad Blue, I've kept track and a full (Entire 5 gallon tank full to the rim) DEF tank gets me about 11,000 miles before the light comes on. (1500 miles remaining) which puts the "out" level at about 12,000 miles.

I drive Uber/Lyft so my car can vary from all-city to a mixture of city/highway driving on any given night. Still, I've seen a very predictable DEF usage over the past 50,000 miles since my Phase 2 fix and, like you- a higher MPG.
itsmejerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 08:51   #3
squibymcfibbins

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
I am now more then 3 months since my phase 2 recall has been completed in June and I expected more restrictive exhaust and lower mpg results per tank. My previous Fuelly results kept me squarely in the low to mid 42 per tank range.
After having my 2015 Golf SE TDI DSG with 38k miles phase 2 recall work completed I expected lower tank averages, but to my surprise I have increased by over 3mpg. This is also summer results which can be my lowest results other then winter driving.
The only negative I have experienced is higher then normal Ad Blue use. I am burning through at a quicker pace then normal but I can deal with that since my average tank is up considerably. My miles at refill are running in the mid 500's easily were I had to visit my Sheetz station right at 500 on most tanks prior.
Saints be praised looks like I'm going to look for a used Golf TDI now!
squibymcfibbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 07:07   #4
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Well with my Passat the Mpg is slightly lower than the before Phase 2 consumption and I believe that is the general consensus by people who do a manual/computer generated Mpg figuring. It's not enough to make me want to switch over to a gas powered car.

The MFD display lies like a rug !
Old October 11th, 2018, 16:41   #5
coolbreeze
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 31/38/51
Default With out a doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Well with my Passat the Mpg is slightly lower than the before Phase 2 consumption and I believe that is the general consensus by people who do a manual/computer generated Mpg figuring. It's not enough to make me want to switch over to a gas powered car.

The MFD display lies like a rug !
My MFD was over 3.5mpg off but seems a little more accurate since Phase 2. All my average tanks have been done by hand since purchased.

Of course I mean since purchase of my Golf, not my hand.