www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old September 18th, 2018, 07:49   #61
atc98002
Veteran Member

I had a Rogue rental last year in Virginia, and wasn't impressed with their CVT at all. I can live with the one in my Outback, but that's because it's the 6 cylinder. I probably wouldn't have bought it with the 4 cylinder.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 11:44   #62
2000alhVW
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98002 View Post
I had a Rogue rental last year in Virginia, and wasn't impressed with their CVT at all. I can live with the one in my Outback, but that's because it's the 6 cylinder. I probably wouldn't have bought it with the 4 cylinder.
I'm pretty sure this is why the Subaru Crosstrek is such junk. A gutless 4cyl with that worthless CVT.
2000alhVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 13:26   #63
atc98002
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000alhVW View Post
I'm pretty sure this is why the Subaru Crosstrek is such junk. A gutless 4cyl with that worthless CVT.
I took a Crosstrek Hybrid for a test drive a couple of years ago, whenever they were available. It seemed acceptable, but the Hybrid was not available with Eyesight. I had a Forester rental for about a month last year, and that was what convinced me I couldn't live with the 4 cylinder CVT. I rarely realize I have a CVT with my 6 cylinder.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't jump on a new Tiguan TDI if they suddenly appeared. But I expect all we'll see in the US is a hybrid version. I'd likely take that as well, if they can keep prices under control.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 20:34   #64
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Apparently some VW group members missed that memo;

Porsche eliminates diesel cars from its lineup
nwdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 14:05   #65
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

Default Pick Up Trucks Still Have Diesel Options

The pickups both USA and Asian have diesel options. I even think there are a few SUV's with diesel options....

I still have my TDI Diesel I4 SportWagen..... There are plenty of fuel stations with diesel fuel to buy at excellent price per gallon.... I am good.

gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 17:06   #66
ezshift5
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Please note Fuelly...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
I still have my TDI Diesel I4 SportWagen..... There are plenty of fuel stations with diesel fuel to buy at excellent price per gallon.... I am good.
'pilot, i miss my 2013 JSW TDI 6M. Averaged 44+ MPG until the day VW made me the "offer I could not refuse".

Diesel here on our left coast is outrageous. I have been better.

all the best,

ez
Old September 29th, 2018, 09:10   #67
atc98002
Veteran Member

This thread has seriously gone off topic
Old September 29th, 2018, 20:07   #68
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800km/1100km/tank

to get back OT:

I think about a hybrid VW from an historical perspective. Yes, Dr. Porsche pretty much invented the technology (Mixt Drive, 122 years ago) but you will notice he had the good sense to abandon such nonsense by the time he had matured to the point of making his signature design and later his own cars. All through the air cooled era, Porsche and VW vehicles featured super simple and reliable electrical components - mostly from Robert Bosch gmbh.

Fast forward to 1969 when der kleineautogesellschaft went vasserpumpen with the acquisition and merger of Auto Union and NSU. The first Audi (1973 Fox) to reach these shores had a pretty neat inline 4, but was characterized by some of the most mickey-mouse (sorry Walt) electrical devices known to man. The first A platform cars, starting with the Scriocco, sported the same junk that routinely failed.

Now, just to clearly show this bifurcated company, the introduction of Bosch (really Bendix) D Jetronic into air cooled cars was quite successful, with even the failure of a computer (actually an extremely rare event) so simple that as mechanics (that's what they called us then) we would simply open it up and find the fried component and run down to Radio Shack and buy a new one to solder in place. It was seldom a problem to HAVE, never mind need to fix and electrical problem in an air cooled VW. Most were caused by inept mechanics screwing up terminations - especially to ground points.

Not so true for the "new direction" with the arrival of the AutoUnion based cars.

So here we are in an era where EVERYTHING at VW is pretty much Audi-like and electrical/electronic stuff still is about as poorly designed and built as the first C platform 5000s - that were reliability disasters. Think of the already overloaded fuse/relay box of an A1 Golf overloaded further with at least double the current load from slapped on devices, almost perfectly mounted in every car directly below the water leak path from the antenna hole. VW/Audi seems to have a very difficult time moving much beyond that way of doing things in the digital era.

The only thing to ever make VW/Audi an alternative to anything was their excellent diesel engine development - until of course their arrogance to so flagrantly violate rules and lie about it.

And you think I would buy a whole car that relied on VW making a successful electrical or electronic device? (BTW: my new-to-me ultra low mile Q7 TDI just locked on the rear view camera for my wife while I am out on the road for an extended project out of country - thrilled I am).

Dream on. I have just bought my last ever VW product after 52 years of loyal ownership.
4L='14 Q7 TDI, B7='15TDI(buy back), B6='09 wagon gasser, A4=2003 TDI Variant, A3=Golf CL, A2=2x1.6 Jetta TDs, Golf Syncro Country, A1=Scirocco Mk1 & 16v, Audi 5000TD, 2014 I, Porsche 924/M471 and a bunch of diesel trucks.

Last edited by Pat Dolan; September 29th, 2018 at 20:12.
Pat Dolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 03:16   #69
cheezy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: NB-52.6, B4-37 city on 2 yo fuel!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Apparently some VW group members missed that memo;
Porsche eliminates diesel cars from its lineup
I'll believe it when I see it; CNN.money dot com and the Car mags toe the line for the big 3, perpetuating all lies which are deemed necessary.

For many years I have read Bob Lutz (Road & Track) tell us that the Chevrolet Volt/Bolt are THE future and that Elon Musk sucks. Meanwhile, here in alleged "Chevy Country" where the GM factory is now sold and in full demolition, we can see 5-10 Teslas a day per 1 Volt.

A plug in diesel hybrid with KERs would yield over 100 MPG and oil and gas can't have that in the U.S.A..Toyota and Honda and VW have eaten the Big 3's lunches for the last 20 years in sedans, and will continue to do so for the next 50 years as GM/Ford leave the segments altogether. Bob can go Lutz himself, diesel wrenches will continue to eat, and Fred's will thrive on.
cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 11:29   #70
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
I'll believe it when I see it; CNN.money dot com and the Car mags toe the line for the big 3, perpetuating all lies which are deemed necessary.
For many years I have read Bob Lutz (Road & Track) tell us that the Chevrolet Volt/Bolt are THE future and that Elon Musk sucks. Meanwhile, here in alleged "Chevy Country" where the GM factory is now sold and in full demolition, we can see 5-10 Teslas a day per 1 Volt.
A plug in diesel hybrid with KERs would yield over 100 MPG and oil and gas can't have that in the U.S.A..Toyota and Honda and VW have eaten the Big 3's lunches for the last 20 years in sedans, and will continue to do so for the next 50 years as GM/Ford leave the segments altogether. Bob can go Lutz himself, diesel wrenches will continue to eat, and Fred's will thrive on.
CNN is simply reporting on what Porsche said;

"Porsche is not demonizing diesel. It is, and will remain, an important propulsion technology. We as a sports car manufacturer, however, for whom diesel has always played a secondary role, have come to the conclusion that we would like our future to be diesel-free." - Oliver Blume (Porsche CEO)

Perhaps there's anther way to interpret that quote?
nwdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2018, 07:30   #71
showdown 42
Veteran Member

Most people who bash diesels have never driven one. Once you see the power and economy you don't go back to gasser. I'm never going to have an all electric car. Most wouldn't buy one without the crazy subsidies the govt puts on them. Talk about a waste of taxpayer money.
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2018, 07:35   #72
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
CNN is simply reporting on what Porsche said;

"Porsche is not demonizing diesel. It is, and will remain, an important propulsion technology. We as a sports car manufacturer, however, for whom diesel has always played a secondary role, have come to the conclusion that we would like our future to be diesel-free." - Oliver Blume (Porsche CEO)

Perhaps there's anther way to interpret that quote?
I remember there being a lot of head scratching when VWAG announced a diesel Porsche, but then we also scratched our heads when Porsche slapped their name on both a 4 door sedan and a couple of SUVs. Not really staying true to their roots!
Old October 15th, 2018, 07:40   #73
German_1er_diesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): BMW 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
I remember there being a lot of head scratching when VWAG announced a diesel Porsche, but then we also scratched our heads when Porsche slapped their name on both a 4 door sedan and a couple of SUVs. Not really staying true to their roots!
I agree, almost as bad as VW slapping their name on watercooled FWD cars!! Sacrilege!!!
Old October 15th, 2018, 07:46   #74
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

At least on this side of the pond, that seemed like a more natural progression.
Old October 15th, 2018, 07:47   #75
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
but then we also scratched our heads when Porsche slapped their name on both a 4 door sedan and a couple of SUVs.
always funny seeing the overpriced t'regs running around

"haha bud, you spent 10k plus on a different wrapper for your candy bar"
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote