www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old May 16th, 2019, 14:25   #1
jublybug

Default oil pump picture/ info please

Dose anyone have or can take a few detailed pictures of a 1.9 tdi oil pump .especially the pressure relief valve . Exploded diagrams or anything . Im in the process of sorting my oil pressure issue. Ive had the relief valve out of the filter housing and it looks and feels ok so I'm on to the pump valve as the suspected culprit so any Info would be great

Thanks in advance jim
jublybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 08:52   #2
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

There's nothing to them, they don't so much pressurize as throw oil up to the valve train. There's no relief, but there is a pressure valve spring thingy behind a screw plug. You can put in a heavier spring for more umpff.
Having been thru this (low oil pressure) I might interweb guess you have spun crank and/or rod bearings. These are what creates pressure in the block.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 00:20   #3
jublybug

Thanks for the reply . Where abouts on the pump is the plug? . I'm suffering to much oil pressure not to little . The miles and amount the cars towed if I had a bearing fault there would be bits of crank on the road by now .its mainly when cold if I set off hard up the road from my home the car eather runs on a couple of cylinders with loads of smoke (diesel ) or dies and spins over with no compression . Give it a minute to let the pressure drop and the car will start no problem small amount of smoke quickly clearing and driveing normal once warm its not an issue . I believe its valve jack.

Jim
Old May 20th, 2019, 04:40   #4
AndyBees
Veteran Member

I cannot imagine anything about the oil pressure (too high) that would cause the symptoms you describe other than turning the hydraulic valve lifters into solid lifters. (Valve Jack.... ) Would that cause the lifters to keep the valves open slightly, don't know? But, if so, likely the valves would get smacked by the pistons, thus now trashed.

But, I do believe the pressure relief by-pass valve in the oil filter housing would divert the over-pressure back to the oil pan. So, I think something else is going on.

Keep us posted!

Edit: Have you put a pressure gauge on to see actual pressure?

Last edited by AndyBees; May 20th, 2019 at 04:42.
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 11:30   #5
jublybug

Its the only conclusion I can come to .cant think of any other way of losing compression then it coming back . Only happens when cold also it would only take a small amount of valve lift to lose compression the head is off at the moment and no signs of contact on pistons or valves . . I haven't had a oil pressure gauge on the car I do plan on fitting one to keep an eye on what's going on . . Sump is coming off next so I can see if there's anything in there .may aswell im not planning stripping the engine again hopefully for a long time

Jim
Old May 21st, 2019, 11:14   #6
jublybug

Ok so got the sump off tonight and Ive found what looks like threads (half coils of aluminum) in the pick up strainer .some actually partly through the mesh . ?

Jim
pump off tomorrow I think.

Last edited by jublybug; May 21st, 2019 at 11:15. Reason: spelling
Old May 21st, 2019, 12:23   #7
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Sounds like you gotta worser problem. How do you know you're pressure is too high? These engines are all over the place, car only monitors the pressure within certain RPMs.
Is it possible compression is venting into the block?
Old May 22nd, 2019, 12:11   #8
jublybug

Ok so pump off tonight .striped ,inspected and cleaned no signs of wear there is the odd scratch and what looked like pin marks as if something's maby gone through it . But I'm happy it turns free and has plenty service life so I've reassembled it oiled it and spun it by hand and it pumped oil in seconds. So next I think I'm into checking oil galleries also I'm going to remove the oil cooler under the filter housing incase anything ended up in there.

Jim
Old May 22nd, 2019, 12:28   #9
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

With metal shards in the pump, decent chance the oil cooler is clogged.
[ignore my earlier post about bearings, that's just for Low oil pressure]
Old May 22nd, 2019, 23:46   #10
jublybug

Next question is the a removable plug to clean out the oil gallery's and which end of the block is it? Hopeing its not the flywheel end .

Jim
Old May 23rd, 2019, 06:46   #11
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
I cannot imagine anything about the oil pressure (too high) that would cause the symptoms you describe other than turning the hydraulic valve lifters into solid lifters. (Valve Jack.... ) Would that cause the lifters to keep the valves open slightly, don't know? But, if so, likely the valves would get smacked by the pistons, thus now trashed.

But, I do believe the pressure relief by-pass valve in the oil filter housing would divert the over-pressure back to the oil pan. So, I think something else is going on.

Keep us posted!

Edit: Have you put a pressure gauge on to see actual pressure?
It actually DOES happen, and I have seen it multiple times on multiple engines. A new oil pump fixed it every time. I had one peg an ATF pressure gauge that went to 300 psi
Old May 23rd, 2019, 11:28   #12
jublybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
It actually DOES happen, and I have seen it multiple times on multiple engines. A new oil pump fixed it every time. I had one peg an ATF pressure gauge that went to 300 psi
Wow your the first person that's said they have seen the problem and fixed it . Have you seen this on VAG tdi,s ? And did you ever strip the pump and find any issues with them? . Ive had mine in bits and found no real issue it had minimal wear and all seemed well.

Thanks for the reply

Jim
Old May 23rd, 2019, 11:41   #13
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

He may be the first, but Oilhammer has worked on these cars as much as anyone. And he's good. I've sure never heard of that condition, but as my handle suggests, I'm not a mechanic.
Old May 24th, 2019, 03:40   #14
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I have seen it on an ME engine (1986.5 1.6L diesel), several VR6s (A3 Jettas, couple Eurovans), an AEG 2.0L, and a couple AZH 2.0L engines.

Cold start, sometimes if the engine is allowed to idle for a few minutes, it will not act up, but increasing the RPM a little after a cold start will cause them to start missing and stumbling, because the lifters are overpumping and hanging the valves open.

I never messed with taking an oil pump apart. They are cheap, and once you have it out, why waste the time? I do not even bother to check oil pressure anymore when I see this happen, I just replace the pump.
Old May 24th, 2019, 07:25   #15
jublybug

Yes that's the exact issue .usualy I would just let it warm a little and drive steady till warm . But the head gaskets gone so I've got the time to investigate the oil issue now . . Just don't like spending on parts unless I can see a problem with them . ( I am from Yorkshire ) being such a basic item and there being no wear I could see and the big valve is clean and working when pressed on it all looks well .

Jim