www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old April 10th, 2019, 05:37   #16
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDeeds View Post
Thats awesome! I dont know much about the tranny tune you had but do you think your transmission tune increased tq and hp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I posted a comment above that tries to explain how the Transmission tune has changed the cars.

To answer your question, I would say no it did not increase them but it made the ECU tune a more complete package for the car overall. The shifts feel smoother while more aggressive. The car is always ready to be stepped on when I'm driving in Dynamic-Sport mode. No lag if I decide to step on the gas randomly at any speed. The other thing that seems quite subdued is the jerk motion when shifting from gear to gear under hard acceleration. I feel as if I'm being pulled forward each shift instead of that back then forward motion one would normally feel.
Huskies2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 22:35   #17
DieselDeeds

Great answer! Yeah I saw your explanation earlier but didnt quite understand if that increased actual power or just increased drive-ability.
DieselDeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2019, 13:51   #18
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

I picked up an OBD Eleven, its an app friendly plug n play equivalent to the VAG Com. The app makes coding easy by paying for one click access to things like Video in Motion/Turn off Auto Start/Stop, Needle Sweep etc... You can also long code if you prefer.

Anyways today I took the A6 out on the highway as I need to be proactive on the passive regens. I have not traveled for work in two weeks so most trips are short and not above 2k RPM. Adding the tune and deciding to keep the emissions equipment I'm not sure what to expect.

I forgot to take this measurement before the highway spin so I sadly have nothing to go off of. Are these good? bad? numbers for soot and regeneration criteria? I read the criteria number above 85% is where you need to do an active/forced regen.

Maybe I should take it back out on the highway to get that number lower?

Old April 17th, 2019, 12:40   #19
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Update, went on another drive to see what would happen. These are the new results. I assume the regen % being lower is a good thing?

I don't know what to think of the new soot mass calculated vs soot mass measured.

Old April 23rd, 2019, 10:24   #20
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Found out some new information this week. Car had Audi care still available and paid for. Thought this would be a good freebie to have the car run over by Audi technicians and see what they find. Maybe the custom tune. You probably know where this is going.

I asked that they do whatever they can to check emissions equipment and give the car a deep dive since I bought it used from across the country though it was a one owner lease. All is good, but then they ended with our technician said the car was tuned as the ECU had a flash and thus turned it into TD1. Moving forward we cannot honor any free warranty work on the vehicle that was to be provided.

All of this I knew and was figuring they would find going into it. This just pushes me a little closer to getting the delete sooner then later. The shop has been dangling the carrot in front of me the whole time to have everything come full circle and really enjoy the car fully by deleting and custom tune.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 16:35   #21
bahiaeternal
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that they were able to detect the tune even when you were not there for warranty work. I have driven tuned vw tdi's since 2001, but this is the first time I've taken pause to getting a tune. I have already had a Nox and O2 sensor take a crap on me. Those are not cheap.

Keep us posted on your mods, congrats again on the new ride. Let us know if you throw a new rear sway in.
bahiaeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2019, 09:38   #22
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahiaeternal View Post
Sorry to hear that they were able to detect the tune even when you were not there for warranty work. I have driven tuned vw tdi's since 2001, but this is the first time I've taken pause to getting a tune. I have already had a Nox and O2 sensor take a crap on me. Those are not cheap.

Keep us posted on your mods, congrats again on the new ride. Let us know if you throw a new rear sway in.
The visit was an experiment to see if they would find it. Now I know and have an idea how to plan for the future. Not mad about it at all.

Your in New Jersey which has strict laws I believe? Have you done any mods to the A7?
Old April 25th, 2019, 17:29   #23
bahiaeternal
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskies2710 View Post
The visit was an experiment to see if they would find it. Now I know and have an idea how to plan for the future. Not mad about it at all.
Your in New Jersey which has strict laws I believe? Have you done any mods to the A7?
It was a worthy experiment. I've been wanting to replace the rear sway bar, I've read elsewhere that it really changes how the car feels taking exits, pass cars etc. Here is the solution I found online, but not cheap.

https://store.034motorsport.com/034m...a7-s7-rs7.html
bahiaeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 09:07   #24
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Im glad you reported this. Many have stated on these forums that VW/Audi did not flag my tuned car but they are not going to flag it when the customer is paying THEM money (that only incentivizes the customer to go to an independent garage). But if the customer comes in asking for free warranty work on a tuned vehicle, you can expect them to flag it at that time.

2015 Q5 TDI w/ Chipwerke tuner, 36K Miles. Post fix MPG: 33.9
2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2019, 14:32   #25
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
Im glad you reported this. Many have stated on these forums that VW/Audi did not flag my tuned car but they are not going to flag it when the customer is paying THEM money (that only incentivizes the customer to go to an independent garage). But if the customer comes in asking for free warranty work on a tuned vehicle, you can expect them to flag it at that time.
I had always planned to be hands on with this car. You only live once and enjoying it to full capacity was my goal. Hopefully this takes out some of the questions of to tune or not to tune.

With that said, if I were trying to keep the warranty, I highly advise against an ECU Tune. Reflashing back to stock is a mute point from my understanding this experiment. This dealership simply checked the ECU counter. They didn't mention finding anything besides that and backed out from doing any more digging. Do you really want to argue when your stressed out and something broke?

Unless you look into the two ways below.....

1)Find an Audi/VW dealership who provides and advertises APR Tunes and will guarantee you keep the warranty because you did the work with them. Chicago has two spots, Audi Hoffman Estates and VW Schaumburg. If your okay going with an APR tune over the top dogs Malone, Kerma, RocketChip.

2) Get a piggyback system like the Chipwerke that Mythdoc recommends. Simple as plugging in and out no flash. I've read good don't get me wrong, but I've also seen stories of that being a let down over a regular tune.

Decisions...decisions...decisions.
Old May 17th, 2019, 05:41   #26
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Small update.....Buzzken with a high flow cat has arrived. Scheduled to be installed middle of next week. Thanks for the quick responses and information from the Buzzken rep on TDI Club.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 14:15   #27
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Just received the car back from the shop after installing the Buzzken "downpipe" with High Flow Cat. Had my buddy at the shop take it home yesterday (I didn't want to be stuck on the side of the road from a CEL Put 50 miles on it. No CEL's. I've had it about 20 miles and all good especially from my butt dyno. Will put another 150 miles before my long trip coming up. Do not want any surprises mid way through with no shop nearby.
Notes:

Good:
1) Buzzken A6 Pipe Fit - Anyone with an A6 thinking about this downpipe kit this is the only answer you need. Buzzken promised it would bolt right on from factory. Their word held true. The shop confirmed there was no fabrication needed. Very easy install. The other competitor was upfront that fabrication would be needed. Both great products but know the Buzzken will fit the A6 as promised. Side note ordered May 2nd, arrived May 13th. Comes from Canada.

2) No Diesel Smell - Easy install and great fit I assume help. AC was run 10 minutes, no leaks. Heat run 10 minutes, no leaks. Running the car hard on the street with windows up. No smell to talk about. Its 80 out, with a good 15 mph wind. No diesel smell at stop lights with windows down. I'll update when I have a zero wind day and 80 degree heat.

3) Dyno/Power - Waiting to get the official documentation. Tuner said he got another 30+hp and 25+trq. This is a daily driver and I again specified don't push it to hard. Keep the turbo safe. Temps were taken back up to the same level as pre install so we could get a bit more boost �� Estimating Engine HP ~345 Engine Torque ~ 580

4) Heat Inside Car - This is still TBD. It was 50 degrees this morning. Not hot, not cold. I don't think its a proper temp to see if the heat in the car will work in the winter time. Within a few minutes the heat was sweating me out of the car though. Fingers crossed it carries true to winter time. Part of the reason I took the jump is the 3.0L engines fair much better after this install in retaining heat for winter. Or so I've read.

5) Kept all the stock equipment for later down the road if I want it put back on

The Bad:
1) A bit smokey for my liking on only half throttle let alone full. If I drive it normal no issues no smoke. Step on it and you get the burst of smoke. Its not blind the driver behind me bad, but its noticeable and really the only dilemma I have with the install that includes the high flow cat. Currently using Biodiesel. I can drive 10 minutes away from my home though to get straight ULSD #2 Diesel. Would this help? Hot Shot Diesel Additive is a big seller in the truck industry. I'm not sold on that being anything more then snake oil though.

or

Is this tune running to rich? Clogged air filter? MAP sensor need to be cleaned out? other things that came to mind.

2) Custom ECU Tunes Pricing - I dropped the ball on this part, maybe didn't ask enough questions, or they should of specified better that custom tunes pricing is not based off previous tunes. I still received a discount but its not like a malone tune. If you jump stage 1 to stage 2 with malone you just pay the difference. In this instance my stage 1 custom was cheaper then malone. Jumping to the stage 2 though with the new equipment meant starting fresh from stock. Thus I could of saved some green had I gone right to Stage 2 with Buzzken setup. Overall a tad more now then doing the malone route. If anyone goes the custom route make sure you ask the questions! Extra OT shifts are what got me debating to do this so I'll just grab one more and forgive myself for the mistake lol

TBD - MPG's

Anyone with thoughts or help to my one dilemma please share.

Last edited by Huskies2710; May 22nd, 2019 at 16:18.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 08:35   #28
Radman
Veteran Member

One concern I would have is Biodiesel, I don't think many people are running Bio in the 3.0TDI due to Fuel pumps being sensitive. Maybe do some research before destroying a VERY expensive pump. Plus your warrentee is void so even more critical for you.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 11:55   #29
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
One concern I would have is Biodiesel, I don't think many people are running Bio in the 3.0TDI due to Fuel pumps being sensitive. Maybe do some research before destroying a VERY expensive pump. Plus your warrentee is void so even more critical for you.
You make a great point. I'm doing what I can to gather information on the use of Biodiesel. What I do know is most Illinois stations have 11 to 20% biodiesel.

There are ULSD #2 stations in my area and the shop did recommend I visit those as often as possible.

Will that lower the smoke though?

Moving forward I'm trying to figure out my gameplan. Switch solely to ULSD #2? Mix some bio diesel in from time to time for lubricacity? If I have to fill with bio-diesel whats the best additive to keep in the trunk to pour a few ounces in?
Old May 24th, 2019, 08:14   #30
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
Updates:

1) Through the BMW diesel forum got word a Shell Station very close to me is independently owned and has Shell Premium #2 ULSD. Talked to the owner actually and he said his station is routinely asked that question and why he doesn't intend to switch. Probably helps he is right next to the german dealerships who would prefer to fill up with his product.

2) Having got word from the shop, there was no block off plate or bypass installed to the egr. It was only tuned out. Could we assume this is leading to the heavier then anticipated smoke? Is there a break in period for DPF delete and it will calm down over time? Only 150 miles in.

The car hauls now and is the shifting ever so smooth. There is no motion whatsoever on shifts. Quiet with windows up no matter how I drive. Put the windows down and the exhaust gives a nice low rumble without being obnoxious.