www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old May 19th, 2019, 16:44   #31
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

If they can do it with existing technology, why not? I can't imagine the number of tuned cars makes any significant contribution to pollution, but there doesn't seem to be a reason not to inspect for tunes regardless.
Old May 20th, 2019, 10:14   #32
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
I received notifications from the DMV when my vehicle wasn't up to date during one of the required emissions updates pre-dieselgate indicating that I would no longer be able to register my vehicle until the fix had been applied. California had a record that my vehicle had not been updated yet and they were notified directly when it was updated. All of that was handled without my involvement other than taking the vehicle to the dealership.
Did California accept money from the VW settlement? If so, then refusing to register an unfixed TDI is in violation of the Dieselgate settlement, as far as I know.

I cannot help but agree with IBW's description of CARB as "predatory" - while it is true that the air in areas like LA are better since they've been around, I tend to view them as not unlike a Homeowner's association that started out well-intentioned, but has over the years become drunk on their own power and operating with a grossly over-inflated opinion of themselves.
Old May 20th, 2019, 11:03   #33
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik View Post
refusing to register an unfixed TDI is in violation of the Dieselgate settlement, as far as I know.
This is incorrect information in that it has no relevance to what I wrote. It's one of the reasons non-Californians shouldn't opine about California law aside from the fact that it's off-topic.

People who don't know California laws
Commenting on regulations pertaining only to Californians
Turning the conversation political, even though it has to relevance to the above two points in this thread
People, who don't live in California and don't have first-hand knowledge about our regulations, commenting on the various regulations concerning vehicle registration and ECU tampering
People engaging in this off-topic discussion veering off into another irrelevant discussion about Dieselgate.

These are the problems I'm seeing in the last few pages of responses...all started because of the initial off-topic, political commentary.

On top of it call, you guys are just plain wrong. The federal government regulates whether you can or can't tamper with an ECU (you can not), but states may or may not be lax about upholding that law. Nothing to do with CARB, other than CARB actually implementing regulations for California smog stations to root out violators of both federal and state law.

Last edited by bizzle; May 20th, 2019 at 11:11.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 11:49   #34
dlai
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Up There

Quote:
In fact, my understanding is VW regularly updates CARB with such records specifically for registration purposes. I received notifications from the DMV when my vehicle wasn't up to date during one of the required emissions updates pre-dieselgate indicating that I would no longer be able to register my vehicle until the fix had been applied. California had a record that my vehicle had not been updated yet and they were notified directly when it was updated. All of that was handled without my involvement other than taking the vehicle to the dealership.

Just for the record, bizzle is correct. I had this happen with my 05 wagon. Rocketchip Jeff helped me flash my ecu for one of the glow plug recalls way before dieselgate in my attempt to avoid the dealer at all costs.

A few years later another glow plug recall was issued by VW also before dieselgate and my DMV registration came in the mail stating that I could not register my car without having the recall done. So I had no choice but to go the dealer and get the recall done. After the recall was done, the dealer gave me a pink colored card stating that the recall was done and had a dealer stamp on it. I was directed to send this card in with my registration which I did. A few weeks later I received my registration sticker in the mail. So information is given by VW to the DMV.

Chainless Since 4/22/09
dlai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 13:36   #35
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik
refusing to register an unfixed TDI is in violation of the Dieselgate settlement, as far as I know.
This is incorrect information in that it has no relevance to what I wrote. It's one of the reasons non-Californians shouldn't opine about California law aside from the fact that it's off-topic.
You clipped off part of my statement there. The full statement(which anyone can read up-thread) is as follows:

Did California accept money from the VW settlement? If so, then refusing to register an unfixed TDI is in violation of the Dieselgate settlement, as far as I know.

I'm not the one who brought up denying registration of unfixed Dieselgate TDIs, you did. I simply asked a clarifying question because everything I'd read here in the Dieselgate section indicated that if a state took money in the settlement, they were required to continue to register affected TDIs whether they were fixed or not.

Couldn't you have simply answered my question and moved on, instead of misquoting me and going on a tirade?
Old May 21st, 2019, 14:21   #36
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

An unfixed dieselgate TDI is a separate issue from an aftermarket-tampered TDI. Do you need the full logic chart?

Stock unfixed, legal on account of the dieselgate agreement.
Stock aftermarket hot rodded, not legal - tampering.
Fixed stock, legal.
Fixed and then aftermarket reflashed, not legal - tampering.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 16:46   #37
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

To be honest, yes.

I wasn't even expecting anyone to answer my question. Thanks, Brian.
Old May 21st, 2019, 19:33   #38
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik View Post
You clipped off part of my statement there. The full statement(which anyone can read up-thread) is as follows:

I'm not the one who brought up denying registration of unfixed Dieselgate TDIs, you did. I simply asked a clarifying question because everything I'd read here in the Dieselgate section indicated that if a state took money in the settlement, they were required to continue to register affected TDIs whether they were fixed or not.

Couldn't you have simply answered my question and moved on, instead of misquoting me and going on a tirade?
No, I did not bring up unfixed dieselgate TDIs. In fact, I specifically included language to indicate I was referring to vehicles pre-dieselgate in order to prevent an irrelevant dieselgate discussion:

Quote:
If it's a required emissions update, like the one we had to do shortly before Dieselgate broke, one would not be able to register the vehicle until the recall is completed.
(emphasis added)

dlai also responded with an example that was obviously pre-dieselgate. His 05 isn't even a CR. You chose to roll right over both of our posts and continue arguing about CARB and dieselgate.

That's why your response to mine was a non-sequitur.

I'm not on a tirade and I didn't misquote you. I'm refusing to engage in the political discussions you and others keep trying to bring into this thread to the best of my abilities. From my perspective, I'm a California driver trying to answer another California driver's question about California specific regulations that may or may not exist. Non-Californians peppering the conversation with argumentative posts and politically inflammatory commentary are not helpful, in my opinion.

Last edited by bizzle; May 21st, 2019 at 19:35.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 12:38   #39
CleverUserName
Veteran Member

Can anyone provide an article or document to provide more insight to these new rules for flashed ECUs?
CleverUserName is offline   Reply With Quote