3.0TDI Chain Rattle count thread

AndreiMTM

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
Hello everyone, before I bought my C7 A6 3.0TDI I did a lot of research on whether or not these cars have timing chain issues. It seems like a lot of them have timing chain rattle but I never came across an article/video stating that the motor skipped timing or anything along those lines. So to get a more clear answer on this topic for myself and for others, I thought it would be helpful to get together a list of people that have had a chain rattle, for how long, if it was fixed or caused any issues, and if it was by any chance covered under the extended warranty. I’ve also read on the Romanian Audi forums that some people replaced the chains and tensioners and the noise was still there, while for some it went away. Anyway, here we go:

Car: US spec 2014 Audi A6 C7 3.0 TDI

Current mileage: 67k miles

Timing chain rattle since: bought the car
with 44k miles and it’s been doing it since I bought it, not sure for how long before

Oil change interval: every 10k until 40k Miles, after which i switched to a 5-6.5k interval.

The noise doesn’t particularly bother me, but I definitely notice it every once in a while (not present on every start). But coming from a 2.0T TSI VW cc, Id like to know if this actually could be an issue or if it is just something that can be lived.

PS: I understand that it can be different from car to car, but I still think it would be helpful to see for how long people have had the timing chain rattle present and if it ever caused an issue.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Old news. Already threads here on it. VAG cannot make chain driven OHC engines that are durable. They just can't. They excel at belt driven engines. Chains they are awful. Welcome to 1992 (the VR6 came out that year... later that same year we found out that Mercedes-Benz had all the German engineers that know how to turn an OHC with a chain. Nothing has changed).

AndreiMTM

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
Old news. Already threads here on it. VAG cannot make chain driven OHC engines that are durable. They just can't. They excel at belt driven engines. Chains they are awful. Welcome to 1992 (the VR6 came out that year... later that same year we found out that Mercedes-Benz had all the German engineers that know how to turn an OHC with a chain. Nothing has changed).

Don’t really see how this can be “old news” when I’m not stating any news, just simply trying to have a designated forum/list documenting the issue. If there is already a thread please link it so the discussion can be moved over. I’ve only been able to find scattered information on multiple forums and through various posts. Having the information condensed into one forum, I believe, would be helpful.
And yes I’ve owned multiple vw products with chains (including a vr6) and read about every Audi/vw engine that has chain issues. Ridiculous that after so much time they haven’t gotten the hang of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk