Should I buy this 2001 Jetta TDI Opinions/Comments Welcome

McFarlin109

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed Black 220k and still going strong, 2000 Jetta TDI white 5-speed 128k(parting out)
I found a 2001 Jetta TDI less than 2 hours from me for under 2k and I am considering checking it out and possibly picking it up and test driving it. The only downside is the high mileage so let me know what you think.

2001 4 door VW Jetta Turbo Diesel. 5 speed. new timing belt. new pulleys. new servintine belt. new front break pads. new rear rotors and pads. straight pipe exhaust. EGR delete kit. 40 mpg. Decent tires. It has 357,834 miles (low miles for well maintained deisel engine). Needs front struts and rear shocks only.

Thanks,
James

Last edited:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Walk up and offer 1700 cash in hand.
If all that work has been done and car seems clean as in well maintained that's a really good find.
I wouldn't worry so much about the mileage, these cars of that Era have been know to get over 600,000 miles.
One thing to be concerned over is the egr delete and emissions testing if your state has that.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Low miles for a well maintained gasoline engine, too, that really doesn't mean much. It is still a Volkswagen. It could be a neglected pile of crap or it really could be a well cared for specimen.

I would judge it on condition in an objective manner, regardless of what the odometer says. You can easily find several grand worth of deferred PM and repairs needed on a car that "runs fine".

Things like door latches, parking brake cables, control arm bushings, cooling fans, axle beam bushings, HVAC case foam, etc. can all be neglected items that can cost a fair deal to remedy.

If you are looking for a fixer upper, it may be a great deal.

McFarlin109

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed Black 220k and still going strong, 2000 Jetta TDI white 5-speed 128k(parting out)
One good thing about my state is that there are no emission testing(most people have probably never heard of it). I don't know how many trucks I have seen that some one has cut the exhaust system as close to the manifold as possible with a sawzall. They think it makes it sound better, but it is pretty damn annoying when you have to ride in the cab. Anyway it is awesome since EGR deleting and catless exhaust systems aren't a problem.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
. I don't know how many trucks I have seen that some one has cut the exhaust system as close to the manifold as possible with a sawzall. They think it makes it sound better........

Not surprising coming from the state you are in... lol;):rolleyes: