Installed my dash cubby tonight.

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Using this video :
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1905744/...content=retail&utm_campaign=ES1905744s_rVideo
I installed the dash cubby. I took out all of the "USA Bracket" pieces - there are 5 or so stainless steel pieces hidden in there.
Either the new cubby uses one additional screw more than the old panel, or I lost one. I rummaged around in my 'spare VW parts bin' and found a torx screw that was an exact match - here's to hoping the missing screw doesn't end up in my tire.
I recommend this for everybody - it's a great storage spot and the install is easy.

Rutch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I ordered the dash cubby from ECS a few weeks ago and it came with an extra screw along with all the parts. I've managed to lose that screw since then and haven't installed anything yet though. Hopefully I find it eventually, lol...

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Using this video :
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1905744/...content=retail&utm_campaign=ES1905744s_rVideo
I installed the dash cubby. I took out all of the "USA Bracket" pieces - there are 5 or so stainless steel pieces hidden in there.
Either the new cubby uses one additional screw more than the old panel, or I lost one. I rummaged around in my 'spare VW parts bin' and found a torx screw that was an exact match - here's to hoping the missing screw doesn't end up in my tire.
I recommend this for everybody - it's a great storage spot and the install is easy.
It looks like most of the labor is in disassembly. The video makes it look like most of those parts are discarded, is that the case?

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
That was one of the reasons I liked the cubby.
I checked and a variety of .380s will fit in there nicely, one at a time, of course. Also a stack of fuel receipts will fit under the .380.
LOL. Was gonna say, wouldn't fit my Walther P99 even if I dremeled out a hole for the front to pass through and put it in sideways. I've got a Boberg XR9 on pre-order, so maybey that could fit. :rolleyes:

I keep my work ID, gate card, and an SD card in there most of the time. It's actually not very big though.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
It's odd the differences between US and Canada. Mine came with the dash cubby and that ULSD sticker that you're talking about that I guess was where the cubby is now, is a smaller version right under the dash illumination pot.

I wish the car came with the under seat drawers.

I quite like the dash cubby though. Good place for key cards, wallet sometimes, other keys that you don't need while on a trip, whatever.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
When I asked my sales guy why non-US cars had so many more great features. His reply was that VOA feels the TDI is bought by cost conscience Americans and most don't want to pay for these extras. Really? But we do like Velcro blocks apparently!

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
The reason the Dash cubby is not included on US cars has nothing to do with price/cost/value unfortunately.

The US required the steel brackets to be placed inside of the dash to limit the forward movement of the driver's knees during a crash.

The brackets completely fill the space normally used by the drawer - also, the brackets block access to many of the relays and must be dis-assembled to gain access.

You can still ride a bicycle down the highway but you can't have a cubby in your dash! YAY Governement.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
where can you ride a bicylce on the highway?

trentf

TDI
MkVI Golf 2 Door 6M. Black
Yep....US crash specs

The reason the Dash cubby is not included on US cars has nothing to do with price/cost/value unfortunately.

The US required the steel brackets to be placed inside of the dash to limit the forward movement of the driver's knees during a crash.

The brackets completely fill the space normally used by the drawer - also, the brackets block access to many of the relays and must be dis-assembled to gain access.

You can still ride a bicycle down the highway but you can't have a cubby in your dash! YAY Governement.
I had a Mini Cooper several years ago, and I installed the "Parcel Shelf" as they called it which replaced the panel under the steering wheel. A very nice mod to say the least! The part was not an available option on NA spec cars and I had to order it through an aftermarket vendor the imported them. My local Mini dealer would not order the part when I asked.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
Hey, if they say they need brackets for US knees, why don't the Canadians also need them for their knees?

Might not be as many lawyers in Canada per capita. :confused:

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
When I asked my sales guy why non-US cars had so many more great features. His reply was that VOA feels the TDI is bought by cost conscience Americans and most don't want to pay for these extras. Really? But we do like Velcro blocks apparently!
And cup holders!

NukeIT

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 VW Golf TDI
cant wait for my cubby to come in the mail... hoping to install it this weekend...

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI

You're exactly right.

I design auto interiors for a living. There's a good reason for these regulations.

For the 50th anniversary of the IIHS, they did an offset-frontal crash of a '59 Bel Air and a '09 Malibu. The Malibu driver would likely walk away. The Bel Air driver would likely be dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

As a side note....have any of you visited foreign countries? Maybe not exotic locales like Canada. I mean Turkey, Argentina, Thailand... It makes you thankful for the restrictive building codes we have here.

NukeIT

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 VW Golf TDI
Government regulations have done wonders for our safety.

But I have to hate big brother when it prevents me from having some pretty awesome cars as well. Alfo Ramero, Citroen, Peugeot, just to name a few.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
it can be found cheaper other places OEMplus TMtuning i think, but it all then depends on shipping too.

Bugdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6M
You're exactly right.

I design auto interiors for a living. There's a good reason for these regulations.

For the 50th anniversary of the IIHS, they did an offset-frontal crash of a '59 Bel Air and a '09 Malibu. The Malibu driver would likely walk away. The Bel Air driver would likely be dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

As a side note....have any of you visited foreign countries? Maybe not exotic locales like Canada. I mean Turkey, Argentina, Thailand... It makes you thankful for the restrictive building codes we have here.
I agree regulations of all sorts have been to our benefit. However, in this case I think this may be a response (dare I say knee-jerk:D) to the less-than-optimal seatbelt compliance rates in this country. It appears this bracing would primarily benefit a non-belted person as they fly forward into the dashboard in a frontal crash. If true, religious seatbelt wearers such as myself would get little from the brace. Other examples of USDOT specifying more conservative engineering are airbags that deploy with more force, and a single intermediate tire pressure instead of normal and fully loaded pressures.

Durock

TDI
2012 Golf 4dr, Tech pack
Curious am I, about this mod

Questions I have, yes, hmmmm. Questions I have….

It looks like this is a $75 to $100 mod. Plus some install time (1 hour, 2 maybe)

1) How well does the color match the rest of the interior?

2) How well is the fit of the kit parts?

3) How useful is the storage you gain (assuming you want to carry something other than a small caliber pistol)?

4) For those of you who install this kit, would you do it again now that you’ve had a chance to use it on a daily basis?

Lastly, Could some of you post pictures of what you use the storage cubby for?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I'm not entirely convinced the dash cubby was omitted for crash standards....

First off all, the steel bracketery that is removed is much less forgiving and much less of a "crumple zone" than a couple plastic trim pieces.

Secondly, VWoA would NEVER allow sales of an accessory that would jeopardize crash standards. Even if it were hypothetically only for sales outside the US, it would not be advertised in the US accessory catalogs.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
I'm not entirely convinced the dash cubby was omitted for crash standards....

First off all, the steel bracketery that is removed is much less forgiving and much less of a "crumple zone" than a couple plastic trim pieces.

Secondly, VWoA would NEVER allow sales of an accessory that would jeopardize crash standards. Even if it were hypothetically only for sales outside the US, it would not be advertised in the US accessory catalogs.
No, it is due to crash regulations, but ones left over from the 80's. Regulations from back then required the airbag to protect occupants who weren't wearing their seat belts. My old 89 Benz 190D had knee braces built in which would hold you in place for the airbag to hit you in the face if you were in an accident due to the same regulations. Basically, if you don't wear your seat belt, don't do this mod, otherwise, it's fine.

Questions I have, yes, hmmmm. Questions I have….
It looks like this is a $75 to $100 mod. Plus some install time (1 hour, 2 maybe)
1) How well does the color match the rest of the interior?
2) How well is the fit of the kit parts?
3) How useful is the storage you gain (assuming you want to carry something other than a small caliber pistol)?
4) For those of you who install this kit, would you do it again now that you’ve had a chance to use it on a daily basis?
Lastly, Could some of you post pictures of what you use the storage cubby for?

I did do it again on my Golf R. I use it to store small items I don't want rolling around the interior. My work security badge, the gate opener for my subdivision, etc. You get used to having it that you really do miss it when it's not there. The kit's parts are all OEM so the match to the rest of the interior is perfect.