Cruise Control not Working

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
Car is a 2000 Golf TDI auto.

Tried changing the entire cruise module with the wiper and turn signal controls...still does not work.

Any ideas?

Could it be a computer issue?

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
thanks.

Cruise was working fine and then just stopped one day.

Car is not chipped...bone stock.

Lights do dim when the tranny shifts...not sure why because the car has a brand new battery and alternator.

someone told me that sometimes when voltage drops it can mess up some settings like CC.

which version of vag-com will scan my car like in wingnut's thread... CAN 812.4 and/or 805.2?

ymz said:
Could be a number of things...

Start here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=825571

Did the CC work any time in the recent past ?? Is your car chipped ????

Yuri

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
It could also be a faulty brake pedal switch. Common problem and there was a recall for them on the early MKIV gen cars. In fact, there were recalls on the recalls. Thats where I would start. Call the dealer, ask them if your car was part of the recall and if so, was it done.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I'm not sure of the #, but there's a group in VCDS which shows all cruise inputs on one screen. In my case, the cruise switch had a faulty wire. replaced the switch and all is well, but VCDS made diagnosis easy, as I could confirm each cruise input on the screen - clutch, brake cruise on, accel etc.

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
I just had the car in the dealer for an e-test and they said that all the recalls have been done.

If the brake switch is not working and causing the cruise to not work then will the brake lights in the back not work as well?

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
If the break switch fails, the GP light will flash. I swapped my switch out in the summer, wasn't even $9 from a dealer. I'm not sure if it affected my CC though.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
The switch controls both the brake lights as well as turning off the CC. They are seperate circuits, so its possible the brake lights will still functon normally, but still affect the CC. But as suggested, the easiest way to diagnose it is with Vag-com. That will tell you if its the brake switch or the CC switch in the signal stalk.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Wingnut said:
The switch controls both the brake lights as well as turning off the CC. They are seperate circuits, so its possible the brake lights will still functon normally, but still affect the CC. But as suggested, the easiest way to diagnose it is with Vag-com. That will tell you if its the brake switch or the CC switch in the signal stalk.
I didn't realize it was done at the switch. I assume the clutch has a separate switch to turn off the CC?

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
since I do not have vag-com at the moment I think I will try to swap out the switches to see if that works...hopefully my sister won't mind :)

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
the clutch will deactivate the CC as well as long as the ECU knows it's hooked to manual tranny

if it's an auto there is no clutch so it doesn't get that input

mjhandy said:
I didn't realize it was done at the switch. I assume the clutch has a separate switch to turn off the CC?

meisterleipz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (01M)
swapped the switches and CC still is not working. I put my switch in my sister's car and the cruise works fine...so obviously switch is fine.

looks like vag-com is only other option?

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
My cc sometime does not work when I try to ACC (accelerate)
for the past 3 yrs, and then it dawned on me,
I tried pushing down on the ACC switch while pushing the lever to the end ,
so basically compressing the contacts.
What do you know it worked.
You may have a flaky cc switch itself.