Demulsifier additive?

ricohman

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon
It's starting to freeze in the morning and that got me thinking about additives for the winter.
On my Ford 6.7's I have only used the Ford additive which is a demulsifier/cetane boost and anti gel.
Since VW does not recommend an additive, and the filter housing has no drain, is anyone finding any moisture in the housing during the winter?

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Power Service winter formula (in the white bottle) has all of that.

I've never seen any water/frost/ice in the filter canister during winter.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
+1 for PS!!

I've used a shot of PS every fuel up for this '14, our old '10 and my MKIV.

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
My primary reason for using a DFA is to increase the lubricity of the ULSD formulas available in the US. In SoCal, the weather doesn’t get cold enough to warrant antigel, but believe that most additives with antigel can be expected to work to the temperatures in their specifications. I haven’t had any issues related to water in the fuel in any of my diesel vehicles, and a cetane boost doesn’t hurt, but has been imperceptible in my experience.

I use Opti-lube Summer+ or XPD hoping to delay any IP or HPFP failure as long as possible. It has worked so far....

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
My primary reason for using a DFA is to increase the lubricity of the ULSD formulas available in the US. In SoCal, the weather doesn’t get cold enough to warrant antigel, but believe that most additives with antigel can be expected to work to the temperatures in their specifications. I haven’t had any issues related to water in the fuel in any of my diesel vehicles, and a cetane boost doesn’t hurt, but has been imperceptible in my experience. I use Opti-lube Summer+ or XPD hoping to delay any IP or HPFP failure as long as possible. It has worked so far....
Members who use additives generally do so to address lubricity, cetane, or water in the fuel. Cold climate owners often use anti-gel when temps dip low, which obviously isn't a significant concern in SoCal. Why then do I use PS white (winter) all year round (which includes the last year in San Diego County and Twentynine Palms)? Because in addition to improving lubricity and boosting cetane, PS addresses my primary concern, which is water. Although the ALH fuel filter has a water drain (somewhat questionable in effectiveness), the CRUA does not. I won't speak to methods of treating fuel, as we have many good threads which do so (including the thread I linked above), but I specifically prefer PS over a demulsifier like Opti-lube, as I want to avoid free water from forming in the system. From reading threads over the years, your 2014 isn't likely to show the effects of water in the fuel until there's an opportunity for inspection (which may never happen depending on how long you keep the car), or it may be less of a concern in SoCal compared to other areas, but if I owned a CJAA and was concerned about the HPFP, I'd want to address water as well as cetane.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Members who use additives generally do so to address lubricity, cetane, or water in the fuel. Cold climate owners often use anti-gel when temps dip low, which obviously isn't a significant concern in SoCal. Why then do I use PS white (winter) all year round (which includes the last year in San Diego County and Twentynine Palms)? Because in addition to improving lubricity and boosting cetane, PS addresses my primary concern, which is water. Although the ALH fuel filter has a water drain (somewhat questionable in effectiveness), the CRUA does not. I won't speak to methods of treating fuel, as we have many good threads which do so (including the thread I linked above), but I specifically prefer PS over a demulsifier like Opti-lube, as I want to avoid free water from forming in the system. From reading threads over the years, your 2014 isn't likely to show the effects of water in the fuel until there's an opportunity for inspection (which may never happen depending on how long you keep the car), or it may be less of a concern in SoCal compared to other areas, but if I owned a CJAA and was concerned about the HPFP, I'd want to address water as well as cetane.

You've done a great job of explaining exactly why I've been considering using the winter blend of PS all year long. All it would take is one bad batch of fuel and my 335k km CP4 pump would be toast, not to mention the collateral damage. I view the additive as cheap insurance more than anything.

ricohman

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon
Lots of great suggestions.
Now how do you add it? The factory filler needs something the width of a diesel nozzle to even open the filler neck.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lots of great suggestions.
Now how do you add it? The factory filler needs something the width of a diesel nozzle to even open the filler neck.
Generally, owners are only using a few ounces of additive, which (for our MK7) flows past the misfueling guard into the tank. If that doesn't work on your car, a fuel adapter will do the trick. It's good to have one in the trunk anyway, just in case.

https://www.idparts.com/diesel-fueling-adapter-p-2418.html

Last edited:

ricohman

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just pour it over the closed fill gate flap and it will seep by?

I use a funnel, but that's also because I've always kept little one in a ziplock in the back of the car since the MkIV days, and I'm often dosing 3-4 cars at a time. The misfueling guard doesn't seal off the fuel neck (at least on our Mk7's), and if I raise the funnel up, the additive flows from the funnel neck right down past the plastic tabs. The fueling adapter will actually open up the misfueling guard tabs, and allow you to flow additive further into the neck of the tank, which is likely a superior method. If you dose prior to a fill-up, the D2 will sweep any additive into the tank.