Ignition Key Transponder

LordGunner

TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9L 6 speed manual
Ive been searching the net for awhile now to see if I can find out anything on how to check if the Ignition Key Transponder is bad. The issue I am having is that my car worked fine and now the immobilizor is active.

So is there any way to check to see if it is the Ignition Key Transponder located around the ignition or am I just **** out of luck here?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Try some searching, there are some things you can do, like leaving the key in for 2 hours?
If the car runs, the transponder is working.
Maybe disconnect battery for a time, get things to reset?
hth

LordGunner

TDI
I took the battery out for 3 days to make sure nothing had power left in it. The immobilizer light is on and keeps flashing so I dont know if I have to reprogram the car or if the ignition key transponder is bad.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
VCDS scan will flag transponder issues. :)

That said, many people resolve 'em by turning the key to "On" and leaving it for 30 minutes or so... might be worth a try.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
No, just turn the key to the on position. Do not try to crank the starter for 30 minutes. Some folks have reported that disconnecting the cables from the battery and touching them together will reset some things. That might be worth a try. Good luck!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
No, just turn the key to the on position. Do not try to crank the starter for 30 minutes. Some folks have reported that disconnecting the cables from the battery and touching them together will reset some things. That might be worth a try. Good luck!
It's probably over 10 minutes, but not necessarily 30 minutes. I know when you reprogram a key for the immobilizer you have to wait about 10 minutes after logging into the area with VCDS before you can actually commit any changes. Maybe it's that delay that has to be overcome.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Diesels have a big strong battery that can run the ECU for days... of course, making sure the radio/fans/headlights are off is wise... emergency brake on to turn off the DRLs. :):)

LordGunner

TDI
Thank you so much. I tried leaving the key in the ignition and it freakin worked! I havent been driving it for the past week just because of that and Ive had to resort to taking the truck to work which gets little to no gas mileage.

So once again thank you so much and my bank account thanks you even more.

fossill

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
The best fix is to get an immobilzer delete. If someone really wants your car, nothings stopping them from having it.