Any difference between starter for manual v. auto transmission?

Bernyerd

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L BRM
Hi All,

I’m a new member to the forum and have enjoyed visiting this site over the last nine months of TDI ownership. You all have made this place an awesome resource, thank you. I’ve scoured the site and haven’t found a feed that pertains to a new question I have come across, so here it goes:

I’m replacing the starter in my 2006 Jetta (1.9L BRM, manual) and based on a few comments/ reviews decided to go with a reman unit from NAPA (part # RAY 2446765, $101). After installing, I noticed the ignition-switch receiver on the solenoid didn’t match the plug, i.e., rectangle receiver v. oval plug. I went back to NAPA and we came to the consensus that the starter I needed was in fact their reman unit for an automatic transmission (RAY 2448216, $154).

Has anybody run into this issue in past and should I be concerned that this starter is listed for use in an automatic? Their reman Bosch unit (SR049X, $198), with the same receiver, is also listed for an automatic. Is there a difference in the length of the starter’s drive pinon for auto v. manuals?

As a side note, when I pulled the old starter out it looked like the innards of the unit imploded: drive pinon busted off-plain, dust and metal shavings caked on outside. I can provide numbers from the original unit if needed. Thanks in advance.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Bosch number for the BRM Manual (PN 02Z911023F) is SR0833X. DSG starter is clearly different, not interchangeable.