Newbie with a tdi issue

Bobby_Johnson

TDI
2000 jetta
Hello everyone,
I just bought a 2000 jetta tdi 5spd. It's a fix'er up'er with 225k miles on it.

Seems to run good, from what I can tell (new to the tdi engines). However if I'm on the interstate and let off the accelerator and instantly get back into it. The car will hesitate and a puff of white smoke will blow out the car. Then it drives fine. Does it everytime you do it. If you let out, wait ans then accelerate again easing into it. It doesn't do it.

Any ideas?

Also, I show a fault code p3130 as well..

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bobby_Johnson

TDI
2000 jetta
Thanks for the link.

I have a bit of a update on the car..

If I run 70 MPH I have no issues at all.
Literally 71+ is where the following issues occur.

If I attempt to hold ANY speed above 70 the car jerks violently. Almost as though the car is governed (speed limited). If I accelerate it will run fine. Again, it's only when I attempt to maintain any speed above 70.

Let's say I accelerate to 80 and let off the accelerator.. It will jerk violently until it gets back down to 70 or below.

It's extremely mind blowing to me.

The only other thing. The engine light is on for the temp sensor (short to b+). If I'm driving down the road, the temp Gauge hand will not go above the 3 marks at the bottom. Come to a idle and park, it will increase up to 190.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bobby_Johnson

TDI
2000 jetta
Guys I'm grasping at straws here.
I'm updating with the latest issues...

Had a coolant sensor trouble code.. Engine wouldn't start unless it was unplugged. Replaced the coolant sensor today and it still doesn't want to start unless it's unplugged. Any ideas?

Also, replaced the fuel filter hoping it had a effect on the issue described in the first post. Now I have constant air bubbles in the clear line running to the injection pump. Also, if you rev the engine.. The bubbles get MUCH larger.

Drove the car on the interstate after all this and it still has the issue. Also had a now power issue when driving back home after the trip. Code 1556 I believe it was, turbocharger. Checked the vacuum line to the turbo and it seems fine.

Now if I disconnect the coolant temp sensor I get a erratic idle and a high idle.

I have two videos that I will share soon of the air bubbles and erratic idle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI

Guys I'm grasping at straws here.
I'm updating with the latest issues...

Had a coolant sensor trouble code.. Engine wouldn't start unless it was unplugged. Replaced the coolant sensor today and it still doesn't want to start unless it's unplugged. Any ideas?

Also, replaced the fuel filter hoping it had a effect on the issue described in the first post. Now I have constant air bubbles in the clear line running to the injection pump. Also, if you rev the engine.. The bubbles get MUCH larger.

Drove the car on the interstate after all this and it still has the issue. Also had a now power issue when driving back home after the trip. Code 1556 I believe it was, turbocharger. Checked the vacuum line to the turbo and it seems fine.

Now if I disconnect the coolant temp sensor I get a erratic idle and a high idle.

I have two videos that I will share soon of the air bubbles and erratic idle.

Sounds like you have multiple problems going on. I would check all vacuum hoses to make sure they are a) still hooked up, and b) don't have holes/not deteriorated.

Also, you may want to check the turbo vanes to see if they move freely or not.

Edit: The air bubbles could be caused by a leaking fuel filter tee. I would visually inspect the fuel filter, fuel filter tee, and fuel filter clip.

I would also buy another fuel filter clip too if the fuel filter tee is determined to be the cause.

Last edited:

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Your pump is suckin' air.

When I bought my 03 Golf, that clear fuel line was all bubbles...more bubbles than fuel.

I installed a new fuel filter, new thermostatic tee with new o-rings, and a new Mickey Mouse clip (not that it mattered), and replaced all of the injector return lines. After that, no bubbles. Every once in a while I can find one tiny bubble sitting at the high spot on the line when the car is off, but that's it.

If a new filter, thermo-tee, and injector return lines didn't fix it, I'd also look at replacing the fuel line clamps on the filter, and check the pick-up in the fuel tank for blockage (it's easy to access...under the passenger rear seat).

Rem:D

Bobby_Johnson

TDI
2000 jetta
Thanks guys. I'll dive back into it in the morning. It's been driving me crazy and I been getting discouraged. I really appreciate the responses.

Bobby_Johnson

TDI
2000 jetta
Replaced the thermostatic Tee and I check out the tank pickup lines. Seems the air bubbles may be gone.

Also replaced all the vacuum lines.

However, I still have the studder/cut out at 71+ mph.
When I let out of the accelerator pedal on the interstate and attempt to accelerate again, the car also hesitates and will blast a puff of black smoke.

Third, in order to start the car, I must unhook the brand new coolant temp sensor. Otherwise the glow plug light doesn't come on and the car refuses to start.

Any ideas?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
A bad or failing MAF can cause some strange symptoms. Try unplugging it and reproducing the issue. Another clue is if it runs better unhooked, bad MAF. If your MAF is OK, you should loose some 'umph' with it disconnected. It will throw a code but clear it once hooked up again.