hood latch

jettamama

TDI
2000 Jetta
Hi all,

I just bought a 2000 Jetta - I went to look at my engine, but when I went to close the hood, it doesn't close all the way. Is there something special I need to do, or am I that stupid??? I'm a newbie and I need all the help I can get.

Ben1000

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Baltic Green 5spd
You shouldn't need to force it, but it will take more force than you're probably wanting to put on a new-to-you car.

As long as you didn't adjust the rubber screw bumpers at the front corners of the hood it should close normally without causing any damage.

Make sure the latch hasn't been closed accidently somehow by pulling both releases again. Then drop the front of the hood from about a foot up. That should do it, and not cause any damage.

Trog thou Meatier

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora/Jetta
jettamama said:
Yes, I have tried slamming it, but it still won't latch.
I'm guessing that the latch mechanism is all gummed up. Take some oil and lubricate all the moving parts of the latch. The main moving bits are at the back. Then try to move everything to get the lubrication in there (including the interior release handle). I had mine seize with the bonnet shut, so you're lucky in that respect!

It may also be that your car has been in an accident and the catch on the bonnet doesn't match up with the latch. You can check this by peering through when you try to close.