www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 13th, 2000, 10:03   #1
Mitch

Fuel Economy: 62 mpg
Default Blue Eyes is gone

I have not been reading the TDI forum for a few months, but someone replied to one of my one messages about MPG.

I lost my daughter Katie & my 98 NB TDI Blue Eyes in a Christmas day accident. I miss them both dearly. I am now driving Katie's 99 NB GLS 2.0L Automatic.

For the record Blue Eyes did all he could, I survived with minor injuries. Katie fell asleep at the wheel and hit a callbox pole on I-10 mile marker 148 West. The pole snapped at the base and crushed the roof of the NB. She died instantly, the car then rolled 5 times. I crawled out with minor cuts and bruises.

I doubt I spend any time in the forum in the future, since I no longer have a TDI. I hope my next NB will be a hybrid, I need 100 mpg+.

Mitch

ps. There are currently 5 pages on the web, in addition to our web site,
which has not been changed since the accident:
http://www.newbug.org/ then scroll down to Katie's picture, then click on
"Katie's Gift" or http://www.newbug.org/fth/katie.html Please take the time
to sign her guest book on the prior page or via this link: http://callisto.guestworld.com/wgb/w...?owner=dclamee
http://www.vwworld.com/ then click on "For Katie"
http://www.beetlebuzz.com/news1.html
http://www.newbeetle.org/features/katie.shtml

http://www.geocities.com/junebug_n_c...l?948291724540
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2000, 10:31   #2
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Default Re: Blue Eyes is gone

My Deepest Condolences Mitch!Although I don't own a New Beetle I belong to newbug and followed you and Katie around the country!
Just because you don't have a TDI you are alway's welcome!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2000, 17:52   #3
KO
Veteran Member

I too, extend my sympathy.
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2000, 22:29   #4
Peter Cheuk
Gasser :P

Mitch, my condolensces. I felt deeply when I heard of your loss back in December.

Please, don't be a stranger. You will always be welcome here, TDI or no.
Peter Cheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2000, 06:05   #5
SkyPup

I share your grief at the loss of your daughter. As a motorcyclist who has been involved in a fatal accident myself and who survived in a coma for 12 days I know the risks of highway travel. The most dangerous thing anyone here reading this does each day is put the keys into the ignition thereby creating great risk for themselves and others.

Good luck in your journey through life. Remember that life always works itself out for the best! May peace be with you......
Old February 14th, 2000, 08:47   #6
mickey

Mitch: I concur with everything posted here. It's wonderful you were able to spend so much time with Katie last year! My deepest symathies to you and your family.

In surfing around the web, using the links you posted, I was impressed by what an impact you and Katie had on the VW community around the country, and by the outpouring of sympathy and genuine grief at her passing. Somehow I can't picture that happening if you were Corolla owners! VW owners really are a big "family." I was never a VW guy before...I just bought my Bug because of the engine. But I'm starting to realize that these cars really are special in some strange way. Especially TDIs! Please don't be a stranger. You don't have to be a current TDI owner to be a TDI fan! Good luck to you!

-mickey
Old December 25th, 2000, 14:25   #7
Driv'n EZ
Veteran Member

On this anniversary day of your loss, I want you to know you are in our thoughts.

With deepest sympathy,
David & Susan
Driv'n EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 17:58   #8
whitemiscief

I extend my sympathy to your losses. And NB or not, You're are always welcome around here!
whitemiscief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 18:10   #9
blue909
Veteran Member

I wholeheartedly echo the sentiments of everyone above... having a TDI isn't prerequisite for site participation (it didn't stop Fred, and he MADE TDIclub!). You're among friends and always welcome here.

blue909
blue909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 21:15   #10
saabguru
Veteran Member

Mitch:

May almighty God bring you comfort, Mitch, and may His tender mercy rest upon your daughter Katie's eternal soul..You and yours will be in my prayers.

Lance
lance@mbz.org
saabguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 21:45   #11
Route 66
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 VW

Mitch my condolences.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 23:33   #12
riddei
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/47/40

I remember this story [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .

Unfortunately, This thread is 2 & 1/2 years old. I don't know why it was resurected, and I hope Mitch is doing as well as possible.

Best wishes!
riddei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 23:35   #13
mickey

It came up again because there is still a link to it in the "Gone, but not forgotten" page.

If the thread were in the General Discussion section, it would have been automatically purged.

The blurb in the "GBNF" page contains a link that says, "condolences may be left here."

-mickey
Old August 11th, 2002, 11:10   #14
Mitch

I am thinking about getting back in the Saddle again. I'm still driving Katie's Silver NB Angelisa, but as of late I am commuting 180 each way, putting about 1000/week on her and I would like to get an older (cheap) TDI. Nothing fancy, no stinkin' hole in the roof, no leather, just a strong motor and mechanically sound ride. I am looking for a 95-97 Passat, Jetta or Golf.

Since the accident, my life has had it ups and downs the last few years. The biggest up is I met the woman of my dreams and she actually married me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.r2katie.com/Wedding/Wedding.html

Last edited by Mitch; April 20th, 2013 at 23:17.
Old August 11th, 2002, 11:11   #15
Mitch

ps. 2.5 years and I am still a new member? What's it take to get any respect around here? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]