www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Forum and Web Page Info > TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions

TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions This is the place for updates on the website and forums. This is also the spot for forum questions, comments, ideas, gripes, requests, etc. This forum is NOT for posting problems about your car. Non-topic posts will be moved or removed.

Old December 29th, 2002, 10:21   #1
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km
Default Switca

I just received sad news from a friend of "Switca'(Matt):

Quote:
My name is Dave. I live in Connecticut. I grew up with 'Switca.' I have some sad news for you. Switca passed away in Ellsworth Maine where he was working at the time. He was a computer tech. He was the best in the business.

He died at 2:00 PM on December 3rd 2002. He was working in a hospital at the time.

I know he was a member of your forum for a few years. I would appreciate if you would inform your members of his death for me.

Our families were very close, and our friendship goes back 30 years.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My condolences go out to Switca's friends and family. Many of you may remember him from TDIFest 2000 and 2002. If you want to leave any comments for his family, feel free to leave it in this topic. I'll forward the link of this topic on through his friend to his family. He will be missed

Fred
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 11:19   #2
dudybug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: yes, consumes fuel
Default Re: Switca

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
dudybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 11:25   #3
Gary Miyakawa
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1998 NB TDI

Sad, Sad news....

You will be missed sir..

Gary Miyakawa

P.S. Obvious Fred, we sadly have a new entry for the Gone but not forgotten section....
Gary Miyakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 12:14   #4
chopchop
Veteran Member

How very, very sad. Strangely, it had just struck me a couple of days ago that Switca hadn't been posting for a little while.

You'll be missed here, Switca.

My sincere condolences to his family & friends.

- Richard
chopchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 12:41   #5
SkyPup

What a bust..... we had a great time at the 2002 TDI Fest in Michigan too. I was wondering what was up as I hadn't heard from him for awhile either.

He had had a heart attack just about a year ago but at the fest he said that he was doing real well in spite of his cornary condition. This is indeed another sad day. I was glad to be able to share the time and thoughts we had together. God rest you soul.
Old December 29th, 2002, 14:57   #6
Oo-v-oO
Veteran Member

Bummer. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] What can you say?

-Lee
Oo-v-oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 15:38   #7
MaryP
Veteran Member

This is too sad! I never met him, but he seemed like a really nice guy. My deepest sympathies to his family. It's amazing to me how well you can get to know some people on the forum and then when you meet them in real life---you feel like you've known them forever. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
MaryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 15:59   #8
Land Duck
Veteran Member

Location: I thought I was right wing before I joined the TDI Club

Sad indeed. Condolences to friends and family.
Land Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 16:21   #9
The Ripster
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45-50

Switca arrived at the first TDI Fest on Thursday as I did. We took an evening boat ride and dinner down the river at Wilmington. He was very helpful and would volunteer at both Fests that I was able to attend. We also met up again at TDI Fest 2002. He could be spotted for the hat he wore that would cover his neck and ears from the sun, almost like Lawerence of Arabia. For those of you who might not remember I have posted his photo from TDI Fest 2002. He is on the left, with the neat hanging clip for his name tag he always used at the Fests he attended.

He will be remembered by me as one of the original group, that travelled to GTG and Fests and was a support on line and in person. He is fondly remembered and will be missed.
The Ripster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 16:41   #10
MOGolf
Veteran Member

We spent quite a bit of time together at the 2002 Fest, including just the two of us getting a late night meal down the street from the hotel. He was a person I had not met before, yet he made me feel like we had been friends for years.

You'll live on in my memory, Matt. Thanks for the friendship.
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 16:45   #11
cars wanted
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 65/45/38

I met Switca at several GTGs. I saw him lose weight and generally improve his overall physical health and well-being over the last year or 2 since his first heart attack. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
It is indeed a cruel irony that he died after such careful attention to his health. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

My sincere condolences to his family and friends. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I was privileged to have met him.
cars wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 18:10   #12
96Wagon
Veteran Member

I did not know him, but know he always had something good to add to the conversation.

I also was wondering why he had not posted for a while. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Sorry to his family.
96Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 18:29   #13
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Fuel Economy: Old Passat 40 Mercedes 20

Damn! I am really depressed!Gregor was a really great and funny guy!
This picture is from one of the first TDI GTG's
ever held! It was held at a truck stop in Fredererick MD on a real cold and windy day!
We ate, then stood in a Parking lot show and telling our cars! I was in attendance at probably 5-6 GTG's with Gregor he will be missed!
My Condolences to his family and friends!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 18:36   #14
Route 66
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 VW

My condolences and deepest sympathy to his family and closest freinds, he will be missed.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 18:51   #15
TDI Believer
Responsible For Global Warming

TDI(s): No more TDIs

Damn. Switca was one of the first TDIers I met...at that same truckstop in Maryland some three years ago. Saw him in Wilmington at the first Fest too. He introduced himself to Dollie and I as "Switca of Arabia" with that hat thing he wore.

I'll miss ya guy...
TDI Believer is offline   Reply With Quote