HOW TO: Traditional method Oil Change Instructions

mazot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
Very nice work! Thank you very much! Beatiful pictures. I learned how to change oil using oil extractor in this forum and now I can challenge myself with the traditional method.

m.

RHN

TDI
2003 Golf GL 2015 Golf SportWagen Trendline
Re: HOW TO: Traditional method Oil Change Instruct

Great work!
Been doing oil changes on my gasser cars for years, new to a TDI so its great to get the specifics on doing an oil change on these vehicles. Very well done.
Found one small typo. On the caption describing the top of the filter element it should read "Oben/Top" ~ Oben is top in German.

Rick

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I like it and can't say enough about the importance of climbing under the car periodically to see what's doin'...especially at this time of the year when everything and anything can go wrong.

Minor note: you could add the torque value in English units (plastic oil filter cover: 25 N*m < = > 18 ft*lbs) for those that are metrically challenged and be consisent throughout this nice .pdf!

Here's another great doc that can and should be added to our missing DIY section

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

For anyone not into the oil extractor thing, using a Fumoto Valve is a great addition to the traditional drain method.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB

Thanks for the suggestions. I updated the document.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Well, done, just some nit-picky things that I noticed.

"Remove all torx screws that are holding..."

"The part in between is the flywheel housing"

"if you have an engine cover, it will need to be ..."

"If you can't remove it after remove the two 10mm nuts then you know why" (I'm lost on this sentence. It doesn't make sense)

NOTE: Green circle difficult to see

"Once you have loosened the cap completely, pick it up..."

"Just make sure it is snug so that it won't..."

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB

Updated it again. Thanks. (Didn't know we have a proofreader on board.
)

I used Paint to make those circles. I don't know how to make it thicker. I know I can do it with a straight line but I suck at making hexagons or squares.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself

Well, what you have done here is about 1000 times more than I know how to do, so my hat is off to you for that.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow

I am thinking you might was a disclaimer in the beginning.
Also, a power screwdriver makes quick work of those belly pan screws.

Now what I need is a similar HOWTO for the metal skid plate, lol.

pac4639

TDI
2002 Jetta

Hello folks, please tell what you use for jacking the front end of your Tdi's? Thanks, John

acktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS Reflex Silver

Using Rhino ramps is the easist method, they're plastic ramps that support 5000+lbs, you just drive up on them. They're about 20$ at the auto parts store.

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
Where do I get a Flute Wrench. I attempted to change the oil on my 2000 Golf a few weeks ago and could not get the filter off. I tried a filter wrench, a strap wrench, a 76 mm socket, and finally one of those grip all wrneches from Home Depot. Nothing would turn it. They all slid off it. I finally got it changed at my local mechanic, who had a flute wrench.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>Where do I get a Flute Wrench<<

Although my wife plays the Oboe, I think I can help with the Flute Wrench...

If you're in the U.S. (please update your profile...), AutoZone "B" Cap Wrench (76mm-14 flute) is what you need... less than $5.00. WalMart may have their own version of it, but it's made of plastic...

All the best,

Yuri.

aberson

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 4d Black/Tan
2001 golf didn't have retained crush washer

Hey all, thanks for the howto, very useful! Just changed my oil for the first time (in my life).

Quick note: my 2001 Golf didn't have a retained washer on the drain plug. I think the howto says 2001 and later has em. So if you're changing yours, you may want to double check.

I just re-used the old one

adam

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
Yes, it is for an A4 engine.

For your A3, be careful with some aftermarket oil filters. It is a tad bigger than it should be. You will get oil coming out and spewing all over in the middle part of the engine.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I'd never looked this over before. thanks for doing this, DeafBug.
One suggestion- Instead of putting the engine cover and belly pan on and driving around for 10 minutes, I suggest you start the car while it is on the ramps, let it run for a few minutes (2-3) while checking for any leaks. Shut the car off, put the cover and belly pan back on, bring it down from the ramps. Let it sit while you put the tools away and clean up. Check oil and add any necessary, then take it for a drive.

This would allow you to catch any problems before putting any load on the car.

I hope this is helpful. Thanks again for the nice write up!

mckannick

TDI
2000 New Beetle TDI
Fine job

Fine job on that write up. Lots of folks will make use of that info. However, since the drain plug on my TDI beetle was just stripped out by the lousy shop I picked to do the timing belt, I guess I'll need to find the links to the drain valve idea, or the siphon hose trick.

bayshorecs

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Just another tip.

A well placed screwdriver against the bottom of the filter and a tap with a hammer will make a small hole in the bottom of the filter. The oil will then drain from the filter and allow you to remove the filter without covering yourself and the engine with oil.

Just an OLD trick.:D

DaveNca

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 5-speed, Black
Great work on this writeup. One thing I don't think was clear was the orientation of the oil filter inside the cap. "Top" can mean different things. Here is a photo showing an exploded view. Hope this helps.

Dave

fricker3

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 and 2001 Jetta, 2002 New Beetle
I just bought a 76 mm, 14 flute end cap wrench from NAPA and when I got it home it was to small for my cars. 2001 Jetta and 2002 NB. I am heading down to Autozone to see if theirs fits.

Eric

fricker3

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 and 2001 Jetta, 2002 New Beetle
Dave,
Thanks, I ended up getting the one at Autozone and it fits great. It was the "B" end cap wrench just like ymz suggested. It didn't have any dimensions on it but they let me check to see if it fit before I paid.

Eric

BigFatDuck

TDI
'98 New Beetle GLS TDI
i just want to say that i'm very thankful these pictures were available. i just attempted my first oil change today only using a bentley manual i just purchased, and i was royally confused about the o-rings. at first i just set the little o-ring around the tip that is connected to the cannister, but i realized that the ring just falls right off (duh?)... luckily it was just big enough not to fall in the hole. after more careful observation i realized where the old o-ring was and put the new one in it's correct place, but just slid the big one up to the edge of the cannister (so it sat between cannister lip and the part it screws into), then being unsure if that was correct i find this thread and what do you know, it was clear as day exactly how it should be and i had done it wrong.

THANK YOU!

Jonker

TDI
02 Jetta
DeafBug said:
I created a PDF file to explain how to change the oil on our TDIs if you are not using one of those oil extractors. There was some instructions on those but I felt that we need a traditional method. So I did it. I would appreciate any improvements if you find any.

Question - when you put the new oil filter into the 'cap' and press it down into the housing....is the fabric at the bottom of the new filter supposed to bend/crimp into order to fit around the inlet nozzle at the bottom of the well ?