HOW TO: Wireing the rear fog with the 5 light mod

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
Nice how to! I'd like to add that tie wraps and/or hockey tape wrapped around the wire as it passes over the drivers side rear wheel well keeps the wire from tapping and driving you insane.

penclnck

[*]5 “Female side terminals” I don’t know if that is the right name, but this is what you want:
This is a "Faston" style terminal, I believe created by Tyco/Amp (who is a OEM supplier for VW/Audi). It will be the .250 size needed, to which is the "common" size, and most of the time the only size you will find at hardware/automotive stores.

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
great write up. i installed the fog bulbs and the diode jumpers last night. i won't get the euroswitch until the cullen ecode group buy is shipped, so i did not run the wire back yet. at least i have the brighter stop lights for the time being.

also, i read in tongsli's oem foglight thread that crimping is better than soldering, so i shortened the leads on the diodes and connected them to the wires with crimp connectors. it made a nice compact electrical connection.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
Nice job!!

What powers the foglight--the wiring harness? Is this why we MAY have to use a 15A fuse? The jumpers do not need to be in place for just the foglight to operate--correct? You simply wanted the brake lights and fogs to come on simultaneously--correct?

If the answers are yes, I'm definately doing this! Thanks for the work!!!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The fuse sends power to the euroswitch. When I pull it on my car the front fog icon doesn't light. So, the fuse is just for the fog light, there are seperate fuses that run the brake lights, and also run the rear fogs when they are operating as break lights.

Yep, the jumpers are just if you want the 5 light mod too. If you don't want to do that part, you don't have to install them. If the rear fog light was the only thing you were connecting, you also wouldn't have to use any diodes. BUT, FWFI, I think the 5 light mod is a good safety improvement. So even if you didn't want to install it now, I would wire in the doide for the fog light wire, in case you wanted to do the 5 light mod later.

-Jason

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Well, I just did this last weekend, before this beautiful write up! Anyway, one suggestion. If you see the one picture with the taillight, the OEM wiring harness plug has one open spot. That is the OEM location for the rear fog. Use the other end of the repair wire (that you plugged into your switch) and put the pin in that slot instead. A little more OEM and just a cleaner install...

cevans

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Which Diodes did you get? I went to my local electronics part supplier at lunch and there is literally 100's of different kinds of Diodes. Do you have the Radio Shack part number?
Excellent write up BTW!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Sorry... I allready threw the box away
But it was a 3A rectifier diode.

Using the repair wire would have given a cleaner install... didn't even occur to me. Thanks for the tip!

-Jason

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
Thanks Jason!

I have one last question: the VW repair wire--how long is it? Does it have a 'special' end that will enable the wire to be inserted into the switch? What's the other end of the repair wire look like?

Thanks again.

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
Re: HOW TO: Wireing the rear fog with the 5 light

I did the rear fog light mod (without the extra brake lights) last night. Very easy thing to do - the dead pedal was the toughest thing to deal with.

Use care when handling the wire at one end or the other after threading it and before tying it in to the sockets - the wire is not trapped anywhere along its length and could easily be pulled out of reach.

MCA

Torque_Junkie

TDI
2002 Jetta

Great write up! Thanks!
Just curious, why do you only light the drivers side during fog? Why not illuminate both taillights?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI

At least in Michigan, it's illeagel to have them on both sides AIRC. Plus, with only one side lit, the driver's behind you won't think your brake lights are stuck on.

That and it's easier to connect

-J

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)

well all of our volvo's have two rear fogs,,, and so does my Golf... i was SUUUUUPER glad I had them on Wed!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI

well all of our volvo's have two rear fogs,,, and so does my Golf... i was SUUUUUPER glad I had them on Wed!
Tell me about it! Coming home I could only see 3 dashes (ya know... the stripped yellow line) in front of me! Glad I had the fog!

-J

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

three? Man you were lucky... i could only see 2 most of the time...

The whole single or double rear fog debate comes up here every once in a while since way back when we all first did it.

I like having two to simulate rear brakes
for the tailgaters... snap em on when you can't see their headlights and they kinda freak... no not nice but effective. Having just a single rear fog doesn't work all that well for it....

Oh and i don't like tapping the brakes under those circumstances in the chance they are not paying attention....

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Oh and one more thing...

Feel like putting the images and words together into a document? I'd be honored to put this up as a PDF on my web page...
i can PDF it if you don't have acrobat...

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI

I have Acrobat. I'de just like to make a few revisions first.

The throtle cut out kinda sucks... can fake out the talegaters. And with my snow screen clean, I can't smoke em out either
Ahh well... The last thing I need is a cop giving me grief about my 'busted' brake lights. I do NOT need any more points on my liscense

-J

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2005, Shadow Blue

How about one of those red light scrolling signs that says

"You are Tailgateing" "Back off!"

I bet some of them would still not get the message!

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

[And if you really want to be nasty to tailgaters listen to this story: Had a friend in high school and he modified his BACKUP lights to be controlled by a switch inside the car! Said it worked well on tailgaters - just "flip 'em on" and watch the fun when on the highway!
Once someone skidded to a stop behind him at a light almost hitting his car so he flipped them on - the other guy backed up right then and there! Light turned green and he drove off going forward with backup light still illuminated and laughing out the window. So maybe we need a mod for indepedently controlled backup lights to handle the serious tailgaters?
Years ago, I had two of the Plymouth Champs (made by Mitsubishi). LOUSY backup lights. I bought a pair rectangular clear halogen fog lights, and mounted one to each back bumper. Hooked them to the backup lights using a relay. Added a switch also. Would you like to guess how well this got the attention of tailgaters? Never had to turn it on twice!