micro d's VS e-code fogs?

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW stock:Totaled 2000 black Golf gls 315K : retired
micro d\'s VS e-code fogs?

OK I am looking at getting fogs for my golf, I have been debating between micro d's and e-codes, my understanding is that fogs should be as low as possiable for the most benifit in fog, how does a fog light in the main light housing compare? Would anyone be able to do a picture comparson side by side of a set of micro d's and e-codes?

Bill

el_flasho

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta

i have e-codes, but unfortunately there isn't much fog here in austin, tx for me to test them on. i've heard the same thing though, that if you actually want to see through fog to get the micro de's.

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver

E-codes alone are great in the fog, compared to N/A headlights, because of the well-defined cutoff, and the E-code foglights are excellent. The idea of foglights needing to be low to shine under the fog is only good up to a point. Demonstration: Take a flashlight and lay it on the ground and see how far the beam goes. E-code fogs are only a few inches higher than Micro DE's, anyway. What's important for foglights is an even cutoff on top, and a broad beam. I cannot recommend E-codes highly enough (I have Hellas on the Golf.)

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg

I have both Hella E-codes w/fogs and Hella Micro DE's and they're both wired to a euro-switch and the key is how the lights are aimed. You can have the best lights nd not have them aimed properly and they won't work worth spit. I have the DE's wired to the first fog light detent on the light switch and the E-code fogs wired to the second pull. When I'm travelling at night, I usually use the headlights and DE's (Yes, gern, I know how you feel about foglights when it's not foggy but visibility is important to me!) and only when visibility is reduced due to fog do I turn on the E-code fogs while turning off the main headlight and leaving the DE's on. With the lights wired this way, I have a variety of combinations to choose from and each illuminates a different portion of the road. My light pattern basically looks like this:

<font color="blue">HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH</font>
<font color="green">LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL</font>
<font color="orange">FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF</font>
<font color="yellow">MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM</font>

<font color="blue">H</font>= highbeam
<font color="green">L</font>= lowbeam
<font color="orange">F</font>= E-code foglights
<font color="yellow">M</font>= Micro DE's

tdi_tim

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Re: micro d\'s VS e-code fogs?

I have fog light bulbs in my ecodes, and they actually work great in the fog. They shine surprisingly low for being in the headlights.

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver

I have both Hella E-codes w/fogs and Hella Micro DE's
I've thought about putting DE's on the Golf to have this setup. And you're right. Aim is everything!

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI

Ed,

Would it be possiable to get a side by side pic of the micro de's and the ecodes at night? I would love to see both lights by themselves to get a true comparison, but I do like your set up with both the e-codes and the micro de's. I am guessing that you would suggest to buy the e-codes before the micro de's?

Bill

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg

Yep, the benefits of the E-codes over the OEM headlights are twofold: 1) much better lighting than stock and 2) built-in fogs. The DE's are nice, but they're an extra over and above the E-codes. In my opinion, you're best to improve your everyday lighting before you add extra lighting. I'll get some pics and post them tonight.

Edited to add pics

E-codes

E-codes & Micro DE's

E-codes & Fogs & Micro DE's

Closeup of lighting

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI

Very cool thank you, I was trying to get a picture of the light patterns on the road but these pics are very enlightening too

Bill