DIY: Installing the Mann ProVent CCV Filter

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
edit: A PDF Version of this post is also available (3.8 megabyte download).

The VAG 1.9l TDI engine is one of the finest passenger car Diesel engines currently in use. However, while its EGR and CCV systems are extremely effective in keeping emissions in check, the soot from the EGR system combined with oil vapors from the CCV system can lead to deposits building up in the intake manifold. In order to prevent their engine’s intake manifold from becoming clogged with this buildup, many owners of TDIs have been looking for a high-quality filter to prevent the introduction of oil vapors from the crank case into the intake tract. Mann+Hummel makes a CCV filter for light-duty diesel engines, the ProVent 200. Though rather expensive (US$150), it is a high quality part with a long filter life (estimated at between 50,000 and 100,000mi when used in the VAG 1.9l TDI). I purchased mine from Reliable Industries Reliable Industriesin Louisiana, USA. It can be purchased in Canada from R.E. Morrison Equipment Inc. in Ontario. Detailed technical info on the ProVent can be found in this PDF document.

The installation was performed on a US-Spec 2004 Golf GL TDI-PD100 with a 5-speed manual transmission. I believe that this installation will also work for cars equipped with automatic transmissions, and it should also work for ALH-equipped A4 chassis (pre-2004) TDIs. Here is a diagram showing the suggested hose routings for installation in a 1999.5-2003 TDI (thanks to GeWilli for the original engine diagram). The ProVent is in red, the line from the stock CCV puck to the ProVent is in green, and the line from the ProVent to the intake is in blue.

Note for Non-PD Owners: The PD (BEW engine code) engine has the oil fill cap and the CCV puck reversed when compared to the ALH engine. Just remember that the hose from the CCV puck should go onto the top fitting on the ProVent, and the hose returning to the intake tract should be attached to the bottom fitting on the ProVent.

DISCLAIMER: The author assumes no responsibility for any damage caused to any vehicle, or any bodily harm, caused by following the instructions outlined in this document. The author is not affiliated in any way with Volkswagen AG or any of its subsidiaries, Mann+Hummel, Reliable Industries, or R.E. Morrison Equipment, Inc.

First, a look at the filter itself:

INSIDE THE PROVENT 200

The filter housing has an inlet at the top, an outlet with a pressure regulation valve at the bottom, and a drain hole at the bottom for condensed oil.

Here is a view of the ProVent disassembled:

Clockwise starting at top left we see the Housing Lid, the Housing, the outlet pressure regulation Valve Cap, the Bounting Bracket, and the Filter Element.

Here is a close up of the underside of the Housing Lid:

The Lid screws on to the top of the Housing and has an integrated overpressure relief valve to prevent excess pressure buildup should the Filter Element become clogged.

A similar pressure regulation valve can be seen at the outlet:

The Filter Element itself is made of a high density synthetic material:

Here is a view of the inside of the Housing, where the filter sits:

There is a void below the Filter in the Housing where condensed oil collects and drains to the hole at the bottom of the casing. This void holds approximately 78ml of fluid with the drain capped. Whether this is enough volume to collect condensed oil over a period of, say, 10,000 miles is unknown at this time. In my installation I have attached a section of 1/2" ID hose, capped at the end, to the drain hole, and will attempt to measure the rate of oil accumulation over the next few thousand miles.

Here is a view of the Filter inside the Housing:

FILTER INSTALLATION

My goals for my filter installation were three:

1. The installation should be as clean as possible;
2. It should fit under the engine cover; and
3. It should be as maintenance-free as possible.

Here is a diagram of my planned installation that I drew prior to installing the ProVent:

I attached the ProVent to the oil filter housing using metal plumbing strap (galvanized steel strapping with holes punched in it) and bolts with nylock nuts. I placed a slit-open section of tubing between the plumbing strap and the oil filter housing to prevent any damage to the housing.

For tubing, I hoped to find a source for molded oil-resistant hose that would allow me to reduce the number of unions in the hose route. I was unable to do so, so I used 3/4" ID unreinforced vinyl hose. The 3/4" ID hose requires heating to fit around the ProVent's fittings and the fittings on the CCV puck & intake, but it will result in tighter seals with less chance of leaking oil.

I chose a hose route that avoided putting pressure on any of the tubing, and allowed the engine cover to be installed without modification. Copper sweat-sweat 90 degree bends were used rather than PVC hose unions because I feared that the barbed hose unions would be too restrictive.

My list of materials came to this (prices in US dollars):

Mann-Hummel ProVent 200 - $160 incl. shipping
6 feet of 3/4" ID vinyl hose - $18
6 90 degree sweat-sweat copper unions - $3
16 hose clamps - $17
18" of 1/2" ID nylon-reinforced vinyl hose (attached to the drain hole in the ProVent) - $2
1 PVC 1/2" cap (on the end of the hose on the drain hole) - $0.50
1 roll of metal plumbing strap - $1.50
2 1/4"x1" bolts & 2 nylock nuts - $0.50
TOTAL COST: $202.50

Except for the ProVent, all the supplies were bought at the local hardware store. The following figure shows the lengths that I cut the hose to:

FINISHED INSTALLATION

Here is the finished installation:

The ProVent's inlet and outlet hoses fit in between coolant hoses. The fit is snug, but not too tight, and helps stabilize the hoses and the ProVent:

Make sure that none of the hose clamps rub on the heater hose. The metal hose clamps could wear a hole in the heater hose over time causing a coolant leak!

The engine cover fits over the setup, but I had to cut away some of the foam that wraps around the head where the hoses cross it:

I also had to cut a notch in the engine cover where the hoses exit:

And finally a view of the engine bay with the cover re-installed:

I left about 18" of hose attached to the ProVent's drain hose and plugged at the bottom. I will watch the oil accumulation there, and if less than 70ml of oil accumulates between 10,000mi oil changes, I will simply plug the bottom of the ProVent.

I'd suggest tightening all the hose clamps after you've driven it around a bit, while the engine is still hot. The tubing will soften and allow you to get a tighter seal around the copper fittings.

I hope this is helpful to you all and encourages you to install a similar system to keep your TDIs' intakes clean!

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
DIY: Installing the Mann ProVent in a 2004+ TDI-PD

Excellent writeup JD. Please add a link to my How To thread.

If I may make one suggestion though. Instead of using the copper 90* elbows, I used plastic ones for my CCV setup. They are available at any hardware store and the grey color should stand out less:

Also, the use of hose clamps would not be necessary. This system is low pressure and the hose fits very snug on the plastic elbows, so that will also reduce the clutter. It would also reduce the cost by removing 12 clamps from the parts list. Sorry if I offend, just trying to make the install standout less and cleaner looking. But great job

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore

Thanks for the kind words! I'll add it to your thread for sure.

If I may make one suggestion though. Instead of using the copper 90* elbows, I used plastic ones for my CCV setup.
I went with the copper fittings because I thought they'd offer less airflow restriction (I'm adding quite a bit already with all the 90 degree bends, hose, and the filter), thought they'd stand up to the heat better, and I liked the way they looked. To each his own, I guess!

Xgaz

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Highline, 2004 Jetta TDI Sport

This is what I'm talkin bout!!!

What a great site. Excellent "How to"
I'm definitely going this route to keep my intake clean.
My car is brand new, only 3300kms..., I suppose the intake is still like new, so this will keep it that way.

(probablt asking to much, but..., any chance getting this on a PDF?)

ps..., Some of you should be hired by VWOG.

Xgaz

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Highline, 2004 Jetta TDI Sport

newbie here
...., you are talking about installing this mod in order to avoid having all those clogged up intakes or valves..., right???

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore

you are talking about installing this mod in order to avoid having all those clogged up intakes or valves..., right???
Yep, Oil Vapors from CCV + Soot from EGR = Deposits clogging your manifold and EGR valve. Remove the oil vapors & the soot just blows through.

I'll put a PDF together later tonight & add a link to the original post.

DriverFoundNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW in Salsa Red; 2005 Golf in Indigo Blue

Guess I have to ask the anal-retentive question: how does this impact the VW warranty?

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore

how does this impact the VW warranty?
Like any other mod, it really all depends on the dealer. I've heard stories of dealers complimenting owners on their CCV filters (Old Navy or otherwise). Since this modification simply makes the CCV system work as it should have from the factory, and will eliminate problems (rather than cause them), I doubt it would cause any trouble at all. Dealers know about the intake sludge problem, and will probably not mind owners using well-engineered equipment to avoid it (FYI Mann+Hummel make the OEM CCV filter in VW's TDI engines as well as the ProVent).

I wouldn't anticipate any problems. On the other hand, I don't plan on taking my car to the dealer much, if at all, so for me it was a moot point.

ArnieJ

TDI
04 Indigo Blue PD Golf

I noticed on Wingnut's response that he suggested the hose clamps shouldn't be a necessary element to your great set-up. I'm curious, if after installation you found that the fit of the hose over the elbows and what not was secure enough to avoid the clamps altogether? And, to restate what others of said, thanks for the great post. Ausgeseichnet!!

Arnie

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore

I noticed on Wingnut's response that he suggested the hose clamps shouldn't be a necessary element to your great set-up.
They wouldn't be necessary had I used barbed PVC hose unions instead of copper. The hose slips off the copper quite easily, unfortunately, which is why I added clamps.

PVC unions would probably work fine, but I wanted to use copper because I knew it won't become brittle from years of underhood temperatures, and because I was a little concerned about the extra restriction & turbulence in the airflow they'd introduce over the smoother copper fittings. But in reality, PVC unions would probably work just as well--I just like to be conservative in my engineering.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V

I'll support Jeff's being conservative and using hose clamps, especially with the nylon-reinforced clear plastic hose. That hose gets very soft when hot. I even used hose clamps with my CCV vent istall where I used old-fashioned 3/4" i.d. black rubber heater hose.

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore

That hose gets very soft when hot.
This is true. After I did my first "test drive" after installing my setup (my 35mi commute home from work, average speed 65-70mph [yes, I did the install during my lunch hour
]), I checked the fittings and noticed that the hose had softened & expanded enough to allow some oil to seep out around the first fitting after the stock CCV filter. In tightening the hose clamp there I found that I could tighten the clamp a lot more than I could when it was cold, due to the hose being softer. After that I added this paragraph to my writeup:

"I'd suggest tightening all the hose clamps after you've driven it around a bit, while the engine is still hot. The tubing will soften and allow you to get a tighter seal around the copper fittings. "

Jetta2004

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI-DSG-O Package, Wheat Beige with Beige Interior

Wow, what a great service to all of us with a TDI Pumpe Duese VW.
Thank you for sharing this with us and for the time to spent posting this for our benefit.
Many thanks.

rphatton

TDI
Golf 2001 Silver

a great write-up on a common TDI problem. Those pics were really helpful. Thanks again for the effort you put into that.

gearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf

Jeff, great post. Is the filter cartridge re-usable (after cleaning)? How much for replacement cartridges? Any pics of the inlet hose & outlet hose (recent, to see the filtering efficency)?

VicTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon

Any thoughts on why the engineers at VW don't feel this is necessary? Thanks.

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore

Thanks for all the kind words, I'm glad that this is helpful to so many!

A few answers to questions above:

I've only had the filter installed for ~400 miles, so any photos I took of oil buildup would be inconclusive. I'll keep everyone updated on the filter's performance as the miles build up. Others have had the ProVent installed longer, and I've quoted their experiences below.

Mann+Hummel make the stock CCV "filter" that VW uses. As to why VW doesn't use a ProVent-like filter, my guess is that they ran a cost-benefit analysis and decided that it wasn't worth the extra cost to include such a filter. To be honest, most drivers won't notice the symptoms of a clogged intake in all but the most extreme examples, and VW took the gamble that people would rather pay less up front and possibly deal with a problem later.

The filter is not reuseable and costs about $50. No one knows how long it will last for sure yet, but the ProVent is rated for engines up to 350kw. The PD only puts out 75kw, so the filter should last quite a while. I'm planning on a 50,000mi service interval for now, but will inspect the filter and check the system's pressure at every oil change (10,000mi).

As for the unit's filtering efficiency, here are some quotes from people who have had them installed for several thousand miles:

paul a writes:
In terms of removing the finer oil droplets I think you are money ahead with the Provent. It seems with all CCV filter solutions it's easy to remove the first 99% - in fact with the stock system that much probably ends up in the intercooler.

It's the last finely-aerosoled 1% that makes it all the way back up again to the intake. The Provent has a very fine glass fiber media and an appropriately-high surface area.

In the 2000 miles since my Provent installation I see the supply tube and filter inlet area are saturated with oil. However the interior of the canister and exit tube on the far side of the element are not even the slightest bit oily.
keywestbob writes this...
I have now run the Mann filter for over 1600 miles. 80% of my driving is Interstate, normal cruise speed is 65+ mph. I followed Drive By Wires recommended break in and running procedures. I am using Motul 505.01 and the car has a total of 7300 miles on it. I bought it new in May. The vinyl tube running from the CCV to the ProVent is very dark with oil, there is a slight amount of oil collecting at the leading edge of the 90 degree turn hose barb to the ProVent. An oil film is noted inside the top of the ProVent as well as some staining of the inside of the lower portion of the filter media. No droplets/stains or anything noted in the lower portion of the ProVent or oil in the return hose (which is 1' long and capped shut). I still have the same amount of suction on the line running from the CCV now as when it was installed. To check how the filtering is working I pulled a section of clean white cotton through the vinyl hose running to the intake from the ProVent filtered side, it came out as clean as it went in. I repeated the clean test after soaking the cotton with brake clean and it picked up a slight discoloration. The ProVent in my opinion is a success.
...and also this:
I did install a Mann filter system on my '04 Jetta at 5100 miles. When I did my oil change at 10,000 miles I removed 1.5 ounces of oil from the drain line I have hanging down from the Mann filter. The 1" (ID) line running to the Mann filter and the 90 deg elbow have a very nice oily coating while the 1" line running out of the filter is almost as clean & clear as when it was installed.
Now, some people have balked at the cost of the ProVent and replacement filters. But here's my philosophy:

1. The ProVent is thoroughly engineered & tested to deal with CCV filtering on diesel engines. It has pressure relief and regulation valves to prevent overpressure from clogging caused by a saturated filter or ice buildup (both very unlikely IMO).
2. Once installed it is very easy to service and shouldn't require any attention other than draining any condensed oil at every oil change and replacing the filter element every 50,000mi.
3. It seems to do the best job of removing oil vapors from the CCV airflow of any solution yet tried.

Note that Old Navy's CCV filter for PD engines is not yet available, and Old Navy has said the price will probably be around $150-$175--the same as the ProVent. Replacement filters for the ON device are cheaper, but they don't last as long and don't seem to do as good of a job at removing oil vapors completely (according to what I've read in the forums here).

I didn't set out to spend $200 on a CCV Filter system, but when I looked at the different setups available, their cost to operate, and their effectiveness, the ProVent seemed to be the clear choice. It is not the only choice out there, but for me it seemed the best.

delste

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2004 Black/Black leather

Does anyone have an opinion on ProVent vs OldNavy CCV.

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore

Does anyone have an opinion on ProVent vs OldNavy CCV.
I'm sure that that question is a flamewar waiting to happen, so before I go on I ask that we all keep our cool to keep this thread from being locked/deleted.

Here's what I was able to come up with after some searching. Short version: Fewer people have been using the ProVent than the ON CCV Filter, and for fewer miles, but the evidence points to it doing a more complete job of removing oil vapors. Long version:

Post by keywestbob:
I have now run the Mann filter for over 1600 miles...To check how the filtering is working I pulled a section of clean white cotton through the vinyl hose running to the intake from the ProVent filtered side, it came out as clean as it went in. I repeated the clean test after soaking the cotton with brake clean and it picked up a slight discoloration. The ProVent in my opinion is a success.
Post by Wingnut:
I just removed [my ON CCV filter and gravity trap system] yesterday and there was less than a teaspoon in the bottom of the trap after about 10,000km. But there was still some getting through as you can see from the blackened hoses:

This system worked pretty well, but it is such a pain to change the ON filter and the in-line filter every few thousand miles. Hopefully with the spin-on filter, I can go 10-15k or so before needing to change it? Time will tell.
Post by mydeathbynapalm:
I [cleaned] my EGR/intake...at 19,800 and [again] at 30,175. At that first cleaning I installed the OldNavy CCV filter...The backside of the EGR and the intake looked nearly as bad after these past 10,000+ miles as it did after almost 20,000 miles.
And here's a detailed discussion of the ON CCV.

xsbank

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf indigo blue

Nice work!
I'm curious if anyone has considered if the long hose run and the canister alone might be sufficient to separate the oil vapour from the crankcase effluvia and still get the oil to condense out without using a filter? The only thing that makes me uncertain is the flow rate of the after-market filter; perhaps I don't understand the purpose of the elaborate filter... I know that the intakes are clogging but if this goo is so pervasive, won't a filter bung up quickly? Presumably the goo is now condensing in the intake because there is always a steady stream of coolish air there. If the installed filter is not doing its work, why not? Could it be because it never gets cool enough for the vapour to condense because the filter is mounted under the engine cover where it gets nice and warm? This mod that you have done, and I agree that the copper is a nice touch, will it work because it is in the cooling stream from the radiator or is the rad heat too high? Perhaps that's why a filter is necessary?
Struggling with this, obviously. I should shut the lid and both me and the computer should get some sleep. If I'm kept awake by all you lot you know your karma will be bad...

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore

Nice work!
Thanks!

I'm curious if anyone has considered if the long hose run and the canister alone might be sufficient to separate the oil vapour from the crankcase effluvia and still get the oil to condense out without using a filter?
It's been tried by several. Wingnut documented his install; he went so far as to use an Old Navy CCV filter, a long length of hose with a tee in it, and an in-line fuel filter. He found it still didn't catch everything and the filters needed to be replaced/cleaned eveyr few thousand miles.

The only thing that makes me uncertain is the flow rate of the after-market filter
The ProVent is only running at 25% of its maximum flow capacity in a 100hp TDI-PD, so flow rate isn't a problem.

If the installed filter is not doing its work, why not? Could it be because it never gets cool enough for the vapour to condense because the filter is mounted under the engine cover where it gets nice and warm?
The OEM "filter" doesn't work because it's really just a set of baffles to stop the largest oil particles. The aerosolized oil vapors go right past it, but get stopped by the filter element in the ProVent, no condensation necessary. So temperature isn't an issue. When the engine shuts down and the vapor cools, it does condense, and flows to the bottom of the ProVent where it exits through the drain tube.

Hope this helps!

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel

FYI, at 2000 miles:

Last edited:

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel

Right, it's just a foam pad.

rphatton

TDI
Golf 2001 Silver

My question is: has anyone who has experienced a stumbling TDI PD engine, as many have, installed the EGR filter and eliminated the jerky, like-a-misfire, engine problem? Granted it can eliminate a buildup of sludge in the intake, but has anyone noticed a difference in engine performance? Even after an EGR replacement by VW at 1500 miles my 2004 PD acts the same as before. VW says there is no engine reflash required on my late model build.

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
None thanks to dieselgate

Wow, this is an awesome setup! Having cleaned four intake manifolds over the last two years (mine and my siblings) this modification is definitely going on my 05 Passat Variant PD. I am going to try and fins some space remotely so it doesn't have to go under the engine cover. Space is really tight in Passats.

Has anyone tried this unit on a Passat yet?

Thanks,

Steve