My MAF fix revisited.

cage

Top Post Dawg
I have been noticing MAF and drivability posts and was wondering how many people have tried my dielectric silicone fix and what their experiences are. I have had mine done for quite a while now and it is still running flawlessly. The reason I started this post is because my other one got too long and involved and sometimes off the subject. I received personal messages from quite a few people stating that their cars were running better so I don't want this fix to fizzle because I think it can help people.

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
I'm still with with ya! Mine runs smoother, and I wasn't having MAF problems to begin with. I would agree, people ought to add it to the menu as part of diagnosing a possible MAF problem.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
After, what, four weeks? My first 'hiccup'. When I got home put more of the noox I had on hand and for over a week, just like before! Better than new. I like this fix.

dubvulture

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf GLS 5 spd. black/black
Let me start by saying that I am a happily married man. That being said, I feel I must tell you something Cage. I love you. There, I said it. And I feel just fine saying so. I tried your MAF fix after realizing that my Golf just wasn't performing quite as well as it had been. I didn't have a CEL and there were no major symptoms, it just wasn't quite right. I disconnected and reconnected my MAF and presto, right back to the way it was! My power went back up and my mileage went back up. I immediately drove to Pep Boys and purchased some dielectric silicone grease and filled in the connector. Been running great since. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

P.S. I love you man.

cage

Top Post Dawg
Cincy, Yes you should do this as insurance + you will most likely discover that your car wasn't running at its peak. Dubvulture, My loss,,, you being married and all!

zebrajeb

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 02, Silver, AT
Can you post link to the original discussion, or at least re-post what you fix was? I must have missed it.

Thanks

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
I'll join the 'I love you man!' crowd. I took your fix one step further though, after some electrical gremlins bit me on the backside.

After locating the reason for a malfunctioning left-rear tail light along with dash and trim lights that wouldn't turn off for 10 straight days, I decided to get a bit preemptive. I removed the battery, removed the battery tray, then removed all the ground connections under the tray. I then sprayed the whole mess down with Simple Green and scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed, until it was squeaky clean like the day it came off the assembly line. I then carefully polished all the connectors and posts and carefully reassembled everything. I also cleaned and polished the battery posts along with having the battery on the charger for the duration of the cleaning. I then took the time to clean the snow screen, air filter, and air filter box, and finally cleaned, reseated, and used dielectric grease on the MAF connection. My car went from a good running fun car to another level completely. I was amazed at the new found power. Now when I step on it I get a real growl. It's hard to explain, but it is reminiscent of the sound you get when you take the air cleaner on a Chevy 350 and flip the cover over so you have a one inch opening direct to the air filter all around. It really sounds like it wants to go--it's a much more solid feel.

I don't think you can over sell this fix, it really helps. It would be great if this is the Holy Grail of MAF solutions. I for one will be extolling your virtues.

YMMV

Mike

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
How much grease to use? A dab? Having never pulled the MAF plug off, I'm not entirely sure what I'll be looking at...any other 'cleaning' to do with the plug BEFORE using the grease? Not that I have any problems at 25,000 miles, but I like the idea of avoiding a failure! Though to get it replaced under warrenty at 60K would be nice

cage

Top Post Dawg
Can't really clean the contacts (they are gold so you don't want to scrape it off) Just goop it in there and pretty much fill it up. When you plug it back in you will force the air out.

TDITN

TDI
'01 Golf GLS
I fall into the "I'm married" but still "love you" crowd.
Got the dielectric compound from NAPA and applied after first reading your post. I use to have a flat spot in acceleration between 2800-3400 rpms. No More!
Smooth acceleration and a new sense of power.
Three weeks and still running like new!
Put it in the must have category.

tdibigd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/DSG, black on black
I just did this today since I was already under the hood changing the oil. Bought the "Tune Up" grease at Autozone. I've been keeping my MAF "maintained" for some time by cleaning it with aerosol electronics cleaner. It has worked great for me, although I find myself doing it every couple months. I'm hoping the grease will keep things maximized longer, if not for good.

Thanks for the suggestion!

RSTX

Veteran Member
This discovery deserves recognition. I vote we dub this the "Cage Mod".
I'm not poking fun. I'm serious. This has helped a lot of people out. Maybe make this fix a stickie or put it in the FAQ.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
I performed this "mod" a couple weeks ago. My Golf only has about 30k miles on it so I did not notice any driveability difference however the cold idle shudder I used to have is gone.

While I was under there I decided to load up any electrical connectors I could find just as a preventative maintenance.

Rottweiler

I'm with RSTX...This should be given a sticky so it stays at the top and dubbed "the Cage Mod"
I'm off to buy some dielectric grease

TDITN

TDI
'01 Golf GLS
leemon...
At NAPA ask for Dielectic Silicone Compound.
It's on the shelf, very common product. About $10, if I remember correctly.

I vote for "Cage Mod" as the nomenclature despite sounding like a protective devise.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
This discovery deserves recognition. I vote we dub this the "Cage Mod".
I'm not poking fun. I'm serious. This has helped a lot of people out. Maybe make this fix a stickie or put it in the FAQ.
I think this is what cage has been lookin for since his discovery!

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
I did have a poor power problem a few weeks ago which was fixed by reseating the MAF connector. My car has only 5700 miles.

I tried the grease last week and have to say that it runs noticibly better and more consistently so.

Clearly VW needs a better connector and/or a bit of electrical redesign. I wonder how the same problem affects the VW gassers, and if there is any connection with TDI MAF failures?

Thanks, cage!

zinkengruven

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 2003 Indigo Blue
Well I had to go to Cdn Tire to get some car washing supplies & thought I'd pick up a tube of AGS Sil-Glyde dielectric grease, $4.49..."Only at Canadian Tire", (sorry, love the store but dislike the goofy couple they use to advertise).
A liberal 'dab' applied to the inside of the MAF connector, a quick spin up & down the road and there was no doubt about it. The car is more responsive, w/ noticeably more pep to the pedal. Like others, I never noticed any MAF problems & have regularly cleaned it w/ brake cleaner as preventative maintenance. Thanks for this Cage!

Cincy_Mike

Veteran Member
TDI
Auto 2003 Jetta GLS TDI - Galactic Blue
Wow.. Paul above said he had problems at 5000 miles.. I figured it was only something for those cars with 30k miles or more..

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>pick up a tube of AGS Sil-Glyde dielectric grease, $4.49..."Only at Canadian Tire"<<

Isn't this for brake caliper sliders???? Are you sure this is also good for eletrical contacts???

Yuri.

2003 TDI Jetta Wagon
113,000 km 15 months

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant is for calipers, Sil-Glyde Dielectric Silicone Compound is for electrical connections.

Darren_J

Veteran Member
TDI
MK 4 TDI
If it works can someone explain WHY it works? I'm not getting it. Isn't dielectric grease an insulator? How about conductive grease instead for a good connection?

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white
anyone build your own computer. i am quite sure that the same compound they used in putting on top of the cpu before you put your heatsink. these are for conductivity. you can get that dielectric grease in ace hardware store.