Front Brake Job 'How To'

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Front Brake Job \'How To\'

Well, I did it again. I did a brake job for a member today and as usual, I had to document it for all to see. It really is not difficult and can save many of you an expensive visit to the dealer for this rather simple job.

Tools required:

LARGE phillips(star) head screwdriver or bit
Large flat head screwdriver or prybar
7mm Allen key or socket
Wire brush or a drill & wire wheel
File
Can of antiseize

First step is to jack up & remove the front wheel. Use a jackstand for safety. Once it is up and the wheel is removed, remove the dust caps from the slider bolt rubber boot:

Then remove the slider bolts with the 7mm Allen key or socket:

Before removing the caliper from the spindle, you need to compress the piston so that it will fit around the new rotor with the new thicker pads. If you are replacing the rotor, no need to worry about scratching up the old one. Just stick a screwdriver or prybar in and pry the piston back. If you are not replacing the rotors, you can pry between the old pad & the piston, but be careful not to damage the piston. You will need to pry it all the way back into the caliper until it won't go any farther.

(update: As mentioned by another member, it may be a good idea to open the bleed screw a little while compressing the caliper. This will bleed the dirty fluid out of the caliper instead of back through the lines.)

Now you can remove the caliper. I use an old coat hanger to hang the caliper on the front spring to hold it out of the way, but also to keep tension off the flex brake line. Now, if your not replacing the rotors, skip the next step (but for the price of new ones, I recommend replacing them). You need to remove the set screw. This is a small screw and is often seized in place, so you need a proper sized bit to make sure you don't strip the head. I put the bit in and whack it with a hammer to help loosen it a bit.

Once the rotor is removed, check the hub surface. If there is a buildup of rust, use a wire brush or wire wheel on a drill to clean it up. You do not want pieces of rust sandwiched in behind the new rotor to throw it out of round.

The old pads just pop out of the caliper. You may need a screwdriver to pry off the old ones, but they are not that difficult to remove. Then replace them with the new ones. The one with the wear indicator goes on the drivers side. Sorry, I forgot to snap a picture of this part. I will when I do my next brake job and edit this post.

Next step is to clean the sliding surfaces. The caliper has to slide back and forth as the brakes are pressed & released. As the friction material(pads) wear, the position of the caliper adjusts and can travel as far as an inch from the time the pads are new to the time they are replaced. I use a file to clean the mating surfaces and apply some antisieze to these surfaces.

You also want to lubricate the slider bolts. Clean them up and apply some antiseize to them before reinstaling them. This will allow the caliper to slide freely and help prevent dragging brakes do to a stiff slider.

I also apply some antiseize to the hub where it mates to the rotor. Again, I forgot to take a pic of that part, but will next time.

Finally, replace everything. Hook the caliper back on the bottom slider bar and rotate into place. Then tighten down the slider bolts. The torque specs are 28Nm (21 ft-lb). The small screw that holds the rotor is 4Nm (35 in-lb). But that little thing just needs to be snug. It just holds the rotor in place so the holes line up when installing the wheel.

Here is the finished product:

And here is a pic of the new & old rotor. You can see where the inside of the old one only used 2/3 of the friction surface. This rotor would have needed machining to be used again. And as mentioned before, new rotors are quite cheap and only a little more than the cost of machining the old ones. Not to mention the downtime while getting them machined, so just replace them and save yourself time & hassle.

Total time to do each side was around 30 min, but allow yourself an hour and a half to do the job if its your first time. Take your time and enjoy the 'getting your hands dirty' experience while you use the $100 or so you saved to buy something nice for your car /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If I forgot anything or if anyone has any additional tips or want to add anything, feel free to let me know and I will update this thread. Good luck.

PS, I was going to do a 'how to for the rears, but it seems someone has already done one. Here is the link for the one Cosmic did. Good work.

cRaZyRaVr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG - Silver and 2012 Jetta 6mt Grey

Those are my rotors and pads after 90K km... Everything works great now and the car stopped like it should.

Wingnut.... it is not 100$ ppl will save... dealer quoted me 549$ + tax for the front brakes (stock OEM parts). And now after doing the brakes with you I really dont know what they are charging the $ for.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II

Thanks again wingnut, added to favorites for future reference.

DieselFumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI

Very good write up, especially about cleaning the rust off of the parts and using anti-seize. The only thing I would add to your instructions is that pushing the pads in with the screwdriver will only work on the front brakes and that the rear brakes need to be rotated while being pushed in.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)

They are not called stealerships for nothing! /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
And you wonder why people on this forum warn you not to go to the dealer...

The rear ones are just as easy. You do need the piston recessing tool though.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

Yes, you are both righta about the rear ones being just as easy, but you do need the brake reset tool. I will be doing a rear brake job next month and will update my How to list with it at that time.

AVE_ENG

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Atlantic Blue

This is great, I'm doing my brakes next weekend. Did you use new pads with the wear sensors?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

Yes, I used the ones with the wear sensors. I should have taken a picture of the connection, but I was taking pics on the passenger side and the connector was on the drivers side. Doh!

Where are you doing your brakes? If you come to the GTG in TO next weekend, you can do them there. I have done brake jobs at gtg's before. I can also order the parts for you from Brian Harrison. I am placing an order already, so I can add your parts to it to save on shipping. He sells the PBR Delux pads with wear sensor for $55.80 + GST (no PST). The cheapest pads I could find locally were $80 a set.

Let me know.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)

Wondering about whether it's kosher to use antisieze on the slider bolts instead of actual brake caliper grease (the stuff that's designed to withstand high heat). Anyone know?

I also like to use the sticky noise-reducing stuff on the back of the pads to make sure there are no squeaks. On the rears this is absolutely necessary or they'll squeak like crazy.

Does anyone ever put grease or lube of any kind inside the rubber piston boot to keep the piston sliding nicely? I've put caliper grease inside the piston before, but now I'm not sure if that was kosher. I read somewhere that you should only put brake fluid on the piston.
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

Good point about the anti seize. I have been using it for as long as I have been doing brakes (about 50 brake jobs give or take a few). I have never had a problem when doing the job the second time on the same car. The antiseize I use is temp rated for use between -54*C (-65*F) up to 871*C (1603*F). So I think its heat rating is ok fo our brake application. Maybe if you race, then a higher heat lube could be used?

AVE_ENG

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Atlantic Blue

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I used the ones with the wear sensors. I should have taken a picture of the connection, but I was taking pics on the passenger side and the connector was on the drivers side. Doh!

Where are you doing your brakes? If you come to the GTG in TO next weekend, you can do them there. I have done brake jobs at gtg's before. I can also order the parts for you from Brian Harrison. I am placing an order already, so I can add your parts to it to save on shipping. He sells the PBR Delux pads with wear sensor for $55.80 + GST (no PST). The cheapest pads I could find locally were $80 a set.

Let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already ordered the pads and rotors from BrianH and they're shipping today. He's got good pricing, 4 Brembo rotors with PBR deluxe plus pads came to ~$300 shipping and tax in.

I'm just going to do the job in my garage in Guelph. The GTG would have been nice, but I don't have much time to hang out.

Fleguel

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GLS, 5-speed manual, lux, butt warmers

Nice write up Wingnut.
I hope this shows people just how easy this is, and I am sure more will do it. I personally think the Front brake replacement is easier than changing the oil (from under). I just did all four corners two weeks ago, new pads and rotors and a brake fluid change for about $300 (BrianH) and under 3 hours. Well worth the time. I went with the Pagid pads on recommendation of BrianH and they work lovely, some dust and the odd noise but they stop really nice and fast.
Scott

VinW

any .pdf links to store in the vault? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

[ QUOTE ]
any .pdf links to store in the vault? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fleguel was nice enough to make a .pdf for it. Thanks scott. But how do I host it for others to download? My pic server won't host documents?

ten100

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

email me ten100 AT escplan DOT org

and I'll put the pdf up for download.

lofranco

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI

Dang! Is that what calipers and rotors look like after 90k in Canada? My old car had 190k miles on it the last time I did the brakes and the calipers and rotors didn't look half that nasty. Glad I live in TX.
Matt

crowemagnum

TDI
'01 VW Golf

I just replaced my brakes, rotors and a caliper today. Is there a way to "bypass" the sensor on the front pads. I didn't have the pad with the insert. Has anyone experienced and overcome this?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

Option 1: Snip the connector off the old pad and short the wires together. Plug it into the harness like it was before.

Option 2: Use VAG-COM to access the instruments controller. Click 'recode' and subtract 01 from the left most two digits (e.g. '07' becomes '06').

Cincy_Mike

Veteran Member
TDI
Auto 2003 Jetta GLS TDI - Galactic Blue

Can anyone recommend some brands of anti-seize and approximate costs? I saw a can on one website for 67$ (US).. I'm sure there's lots of varieties, but is that a representative price?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

This stuff works fine. Its good up to 1600*F. If your brakes glow <font color="red">RED</font> when you race, then you may want to consider a synthetic product /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cincy_Mike

Veteran Member
TDI
Auto 2003 Jetta GLS TDI - Galactic Blue

Thanks, antiseize seems to be something commonly used for various DIY tasks, so it would be good to have it on hand.

Here's a link to that $63 stuff

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL

I wonder what is in the $63 stuff? The order of magnitude price makes me wonder. I started using the stuff I have when I worked in the gas turbine industry.

brenner

Veteran Member
TDI
1960 mercedes benz 180db2001 jetta gls tdi silver,2000 golf gls tdi,2002 dodge 3/4 cummins ho souped up

exellent post wingnut. the only thing I could add to that is :I always open the bleeder screw on the calipers when I push the piston back,doing this removes contaminants from the caliper housing,always add fresh DOT4 brakefluid after. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

grungolf

TDI
2001 golf Green

Brake resetting tool? Whoops. I wish I'd have read this excellent article before I took apart the rear calipers.The piston doesn't seem to move back in to provide clearence for the new (95$cdn) vw pads. Any suggestions on how I'm going to get this togeather?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI

Brake resetting tool? Whoops. I wish I'd have read this excellent article before I took apart the rear calipers.The piston doesn't seem to move back in to provide clearence for the new (95$cdn) vw pads. Any suggestions on how I'm going to get this togeather?
By now you may have it all back together, but here's the Metalnerd rear brake reset tool:

http://shop.metalnerd.com/index.cgi?ID=141075978&PID=IT18&code=13

I've also read on here that brake reset tools (as well as other auto-specific tools) can often be rented/borrowed from some auto parts stores.

Also, you say that you're replacing the rear pads. How about dem rotors? The rear rotors are thin and should be replaced with each brake job. On the positive side, they're also cheap.