www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 4th, 2004, 10:51   #1
02PSDV8
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57/48/39
Default 2001 VW TDI performance upgrades?????

Ok guys, I hope I'm in the area here so here it goes.... I have a 2001 vw TDI jetta 5spd and I'm looking for more performance. I was thinking of a TT exhaust, tuning box (is there a better chip out there for the $$$?) and a KN filter. Is the about right?? Any imput would be great! Thanks!
02PSDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:18   #2
stayalert
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid forties

psst....check performance upgrades forum....All that and more....
stayalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:43   #3
ofhs93
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/46/42

ditto...and I suggest injectors/nozzles followed by chip..or both at the same time.
ofhs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 17:05   #4
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

IMHO I would avoid oiled air filter as there is a lot of evidence that the stock paper is fine. I have a filter minder on my paper and the paper is holding together fine after 35,000 miles. Oh why avoid the oiled filters: you have a delicate MAF just downstream of the air filter that will be damaged by oil vapor.

For nice full rpm range power, I would go with injectors. PP520's will kick you up to about 107 hp and they are a stealth mod that no one can see.

If you are primarily and urban driver, then the Upsolute stock chip gives you rocket launching power off the line and gives you about 117-119 hp.

For really nice power you do an injection upgrade with a chip to match like I did, but then you have upgrade your clutch too!! My beast has way too much torque for the stock clutch.
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 18:18   #5
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (492k miles)

RE: TT exhaust.
There is a heated argument going on in another forum concerning exhaust systems/mufflers. The point-of-view that makes the most sense to me is that there is no muffler that is better than no muffler. (Does that make sense?) If you want to get the most out of your exhaust system, do a cat-ectomy and a muffler-ectomy, and just run a straight pipe out the back. It certainly does not make sense to replace your current exhaust with one from a gasoline engine.

RE: tuning box.
I am unqualified to suggest which of your several options is best. But from what I've read, it is better to upgrade injectors first, then chip if you want more power (but plan on upgrading your clutch too).

RE: KN filter
If you want one, you should be able to buy one cheap from tdiclub members who have removed theirs and gone back to stock filters. It's been tried; it addresses a problem that doesn't really exist, and causes additional problems. Again, this is from my reading, since I don't have a KN (or K&N?) filter and have no plans to acquire one. For my next filter change, however, I may go with the foam filter (winter?) used with the 1.8T engine. It is more expensive, but might be worth it. No additional power, however.

Let us know what you decide.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote