Baseline Analysis- Amsoil vs Castrol 505.01

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Amsoil 5w-40/Castrol, 505.01
Analysis performed by Blackstone Labs....

Vis @ 100C... 15.0 Cst/13.7 Cst

HT/HS...4.2 Cp/?

Noack...5.5%/?

FP, +449F/+440F
PP, -59F/-60F

TBN/ASTM D-4739 ...12.4/12.1

Silicon ...4 ppm/1 ppm - antifoam additive

Detergent/Dispersant additives:

Calcium...3243 ppm/2361 ppm
Mag ......11 ppm/8 ppm

Antiwear additives:

Phosphorus..906 ppm/1045 ppm
Zinc .......1000 ppm/1270 ppm

Moly....none/none
Boron ..none/none

Still waiting to hear about VW 505.01, but it looks promising based on physical/chemical properties data.

Deception

Veteran Member
Wow, the Castrol has higher phosphorous content than the Amsoil. /images/graemlins/eek.gif

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, the Castrol has higher phosphorous content than the Amsoil. /images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Higher zinc also. How do other oils, like Mobil Delvac 1 and Castrol Syntec 5W-40 compare in the various categories?

delste

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2004 Black/Black leather
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why the "Wow" What does high zinc and phosphorous mean? Is that a plus or minus?

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
lets see a LC plot for the base stocks ... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

anyone got a couple runs they could do on the two oils?

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
If you look at the recent analysis that was posted for the Castrol 505.01 oil by Spicy Red, it shows 3009 ppm of calcium and 845 ppm of zinc. The data I presented was from some Castrol I bought last fall ....The additive packages of these two formulations are almost identical, as are their high/low temp physical properties.

Even an oil analysis couldn't tell these two formulations apart after use in a PD engine. As a practical matter, you could run this 5w-40 stuff in your PD and keep a half used bottle of the "official", VW 505.01 rated Castrol stuff in the trunk. If I get a Passat or Jetta TDI, I plan to do exactly that ...:)

Delvac 1 has a similar TBN, but the additive chemistry looks very different. The most recent data I've seen shows about 400-450 ppm of Magnesium and 80-90 ppm of boron. So an oil analysis would show that you are using something other than the Castrol 5w-40 in that case....Of course, the odds of having a wear related problem using Delvac 1 are probably nil as well ....

I haven't seen a baseline analysis of the 505.01 rated, Motul oil, but there is clearly nothing special about this Castrol formulation....

Deception

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why the "Wow" What does high zinc and phosphorous mean? Is that a plus or minus?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's neither a plus or minus really, but it's funny because one of the reasons why Amsoil's top oils aren't eligible for API licensing is because of their phosphorous content. Phosphorous is a great anti-wear additive, but the API/EPA thinks it'll destroy catalytic convertors. However, Amsoil's oils are top notch and have a very low NOACK volatiliy so very little oil will actually get into the cat. Meanwhile, Castrol's products are API licensed, but this particular 505.01 oil actually has more phosphorous content than one of Amsoil's top oils. Wonder if this 505.01 Castrol is API licensed? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Is this Castrol 505.01 a Group III oil, like Motul's 505.01 Specific is?

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
I forgot to add this piece of comparison data:

CCS Viscosity @ -30C/-22F:

Castrol, 5w-40 ...3400 centipoise
Amsoil, 5w-40...5200 centipoise

In laymans terms this means Amsoil is using a thicker, more shear stable basestock in their 5w-40. So the
Amsoil product will do better in terms of high temp, oil film thickness and evaporation/oil consumption.

The Castrol 5w-40 is a better choice if you live in Alaska /images/graemlins/eek.gif

If anyone wants to test this new Amsoil 5w-40 in a PD engine, please contact me off-line. I'm so confident it will work that I'll pay for any engine damage that can be traced to a lack of lubrication. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
We will support this field testing with oil analysis at 5000 mile intervals .....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Re: phosphorous content and emission control devices

In another thread, someone reposted an Amsoil page intended for its dealers which said that the phosphorous limit for API ratings only applies to *W-30 and *W-30 oils, not 5W-40 oils. So that isn't relevant to the 5W-40 oil, nor is it relevant to VW ratings like 505.01.

From other threads, Castrol 505.01 has API SJ and CF (not the latest SL and CI-4 ratings). So it may not be the most suitable oil for other recent engines (in case you have leftovers).

b1powered

Veteran Member
TDI
95' powerstroke,y2k Cummins ISB,98' jetta TDi, 03' Jetta TDi auto
[ QUOTE ]
Amsoil 5w-40/Castrol, 505.01
Analysis performed by Blackstone Labs....

Vis @ 100C... 15.0 Cst/13.7 Cst

HT/HS...4.2 Cp/?

Noack...5.5%/?

FP, +449F/+440F
PP, -59F/-60F

TBN/ASTM D-4739 ...12.4/12.1

Silicon ...4 ppm/1 ppm - antifoam additive

Detergent/Dispersant additives:

Calcium...3243 ppm/2361 ppm
Mag ......11 ppm/8 ppm

Antiwear additives:

Phosphorus..906 ppm/1045 ppm
Zinc .......1000 ppm/1270 ppm

Moly....none/none
Boron ..none/none

Still waiting to hear about VW 505.01, but it looks promising based on physical/chemical properties data.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, this is what I have been talking about!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Finaly some more info to prove that 505.01 isn't a "miracle" oil !!! /images/graemlins/eek.gif

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
Ted, Do you have any comparison data between D-1 and Amsoil 5-40?

I'm thinking that the Amsoil 5-40 might be better than D-1 for my '00 and '01. Any thoughts?

Deception

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
Ted, Do you have any comparison data between D-1 and Amsoil 5-40?

I'm thinking that the Amsoil 5-40 might be better than D-1 for my '00 and '01. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Amsoil 5w40 has a lower NOACK volatility rating than the Delvac-1, so you should experience less evaporation with the Amsoil. Plus, the Amsoil has a higher TBN of 12.2, which translates to better and longer-lasting resistance to acids. I don't know the measurements of the Delvac-1 right off the back of my head but they have been posted in previous heated "Amsoil vs. Delvac-1" threads. Both are excellent oils for your TDI, and you can't go wrong with either!