Recommendations for glow plug harness & glow plugs

tipsyskipper

TDI
2002 Jetta
My 2002 Jetta TDI 1.9L has been throwing the glow plug dash light warning since I've been driving it (January 2019). The glow plug harness is pretty ratty, the rubber insulation is cracked and breaking apart. I'm assuming that is what's throwing the code/illuminating the dash light. Just wondering if any of you have an opinion on what harness I should get to replace my existing one.

Is there a way to test glow plugs to check if they need to be replaced as well?

What are the symptoms of faulty glow plugs/glow plug harness?

I live in South Carolina, so cold isn't really an issue until late winter. But even then it's well above zero (Fahrenheit) and I haven't had any trouble starting the car despite the glow plug warning. TIA.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
I just picked up an ALH glow plug harness from ID Parts - OEM too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
https://www.idparts.com/glow-plug-and-harness-kit-late-alh-p-2059.html

But first a few notes:

Some people will recommend just ignoring it and keep trucking as sometimes the fix is more annoying than putting up with the little light.

Start by doing some testing before buying: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=197941

If you do want to replace the plugs in the process, do your reading first. They can be persnickety little buggers. Don't try and force them out. Penetrating fluid and patience are your two best and only friends. The glow plug can be kind of twisted broken with too much force and will lead you down a painful rabbit hole. Don't ask me how I know.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
My 2002 Jetta TDI 1.9L has been throwing the glow plug dash light warning since I've been driving it (January 2019). The glow plug harness is pretty ratty, the rubber insulation is cracked and breaking apart. I'm assuming that is what's throwing the code/illuminating the dash light. Just wondering if any of you have an opinion on what harness I should get to replace my existing one.
If the harness is that bad it may need replacing.

There are a few things that can turn the glow plug light on.
I don't recall all the reasons.

The only problem I had ( and common ) was the glow plug blinking while going down the road.
Turned out to be both brake lights were burnt out one time and when I tried LED lights w/o load resistors.

I also had to replace the harness just after the car went out of warranty.
It did not look bad at all.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
If .
Turned out to be both brake lights were burnt out one time and when I tried LED lights w/o load resistors.
You sure the LEDs actually failed?
I switched to LEDs. Everything works perfectly EXCEPT I have a flashing glow plug light. The ECU monitors both brake lights as a circuit. If it doesn't detect halogen power, resistance, or current (not sure which yet) then it will flash.
But the bulbs physically work fine.

I'm also using a 5th brake light LED in conjunction with the stock brake light. I think that's my problem because I'm running an error free canbus LED bulb IN the stock brake bulb location. Then with another LED in parallel, the math brings me outside of the scope of the stock halogen numbers.

I whipped up a calculator spreadsheet last night and ordered some different bulbs that SHOULD get me back close to the OEM numbers the ECU likes, to run in the 5th brake light position to test my theory...

Now I've gone completely in the weeds on this thread. Sorry OP