VW Changed Oil Supplier / Part Numbers for TDIs

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
Went to my local dealer today to pick up more Castrol SLX Professional OE LL03 oil and found that they officially replaced this with Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 Advanced Synthetic Oil. The new part number is ZVW0555301QDSP. I paid $8.66 a Qt.

Unfortunately I'm one of those guys who like to keep extra on hand but I didn't have enough for a complete oil change, so it looks like I may have to ditch the 3 unopened ones I planned to supplement with new ones. :mad:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Went to my local dealer today to pick up more Castrol SLX Professional OE LL03 oil and found that they officially replaced this with Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 Advanced Synthetic Oil. The new part number is ZVW0555301QDSP. I paid $8.66 a Qt.

Unfortunately I'm one of those guys who like to keep extra on hand but I didn't have enough for a complete oil change, so it looks like I may have to ditch the 3 unopened ones I planned to supplement with new ones. :mad:
If I understood correctly you are afraid to mix two approved VW 507 spec oils for your CR TDI?

If yes, do not fear. It would be akin to mix/drink two different brands of spring waters and thinking you are going to get sick as a result :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I would never dream of polluting my Poland Springs with any of that Perrier garbage. Who knows what weird mineral incompatibilities that could unleash! jk. I agree with Tikal, use it up.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I would never dream of polluting my Poland Springs with any of that Perrier garbage. Who knows what weird mineral incompatibilities that could unleash! jk. I agree with Tikal, use it up.
Add in the Fuji water transported by thousands of miles to get to you and you have an explosive mix :eek::)

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
After a quick google search, I read a few websites saying NOT to mix oils from different brands because there could be additives that are incompatible and there'd be no way to know for sure. I wonder if this situation is different.

Decisions are tough when it comes down to the longevity of your vehicle vs. wasting money unnecessarily. I already went through this back in 2005 when they changed the oil used in my PD TDI.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You have little to no worries about the longevity of your vehicle if it is properly serviced with the specified fluids and such. You have way, way, way more chance of wrecking it or something else taking it out before you will ever have to worry about oil taking it out. You are worrying over nothing.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You can mix what ever you want as long as the velocity is the same and the spec you need is also the same. The later is not as important but still nice to use the correct oil. The thing is. Even if you had to use some cheep oil that's close say 5w30 vs spec 5w30 507 spec your still not going to really damage anything for just one oil change duration. Over the life time. Maybe. That's a debate that had been done to death here.
I would personally not stray too far from spec viscosity and worry less about additives. Also $8+ a quart is outrageous but not uncommon. Look out for mobile one and rebates. 5 quarts for usually 15 bucks is a typical deal. Spec 507 5w30 too. Many other things will total the car well before damage from oil that's close enough.
Relax and motor on.

Last edited:

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
Thanks for everyone's input! In that case, I'll be putting in about 50/50 mixture of previous OEM version and new:

- Castrol SLX Professional OE LL03 5W-30 507.00 (GVW052195M2)
- Mobil 1 ESP Advanced Synthetic 5W-30 507.00 (ZVW0555301QDSP)

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for everyone's input! In that case, I'll be putting in about 50/50 mixture of previous OEM version and new:

- Castrol SLX Professional OE LL03 5W-30 507.00 (GVW052195M2)
- Mobil 1 ESP Advanced Synthetic 5W-30 507.00 (ZVW0555301QDSP)

Good call!

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
I thought the new VW supplied 507 was 0w-30?
That's what i got here in canada from my local VW dealer 0w30 High Performance Oil its perfect for Cold winter months on a TDI but in Hot summer months i might just switch over to a 5w30 even though vw says you can run 0w30 all year round that's fine if You live in a perfect world there are variable applications for 5w30 oil to be used though.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
You could go to the manufacturer's sites and check the make-up of both oils and see how much they differ if at all. I too am wary of mixing brands with different additives. Bob is the oil guy (Bitog) is a good website to research this topic.

I personally don't mix oils and I were you I would just source the the same Castrol elsewhere, I imagine Amazon would carry it. Next change use what you want/can get readily.

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 for me for the last 150k miles. Good luck, John

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
You could go to the manufacturer's sites and check the make-up of both oils and see how much they differ if at all. I too am wary of mixing brands with different additives. Bob is the oil guy (Bitog) is a good website to research this topic.
I personally don't mix oils and I were you I would just source the the same Castrol elsewhere, I imagine Amazon would carry it. Next change use what you want/can get readily.
I only use to use 'Castrol edge professional spec 507 oil' because of price & it was what the dealer recommended to use on my 2012 tdi. i was never a real big fan of using castrol edge prof 'because it was a darker oil to use then any other oil i ever seen before' wich also made it harder to see & keep track of how dirty the engine oil coloure was getting on dipstick after so many thousands of miles. So... for that reason i dont like using dark coloured Oil's but i do like this 0w30 oil from VW though its clearer and easyier to see on oil dipstick and beleive it or not i actually gained half a litter per hundred better fuel mileage from it. i would only use 5w40 oil on my tdi depending on extreme Hot Temperature when its called for like hot summer climate or racing applications where you need a thicker oil film strength & little higher oil pressure for engine protection thicker oils have there applications for use just like thinner oil's do.
https://www.europaparts.com/high-performance-genuine-engine-oil-ge550301qdsp.html

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M

But the M1 ESP 5W-40 isn't VW507, right?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The oil incompatibility concerns are largely a holdover from mineral oils of the last century. There is really no cause for concern when mixing synthetic oils. Especially when mixing synthetic oils of such tight specifications as VW 507. Tikal's spring water analogy is actually quite apt.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Correct, 5W40 oils do not meet 507.00 spec.

Though, it is low ash and meets the same mercedes specs as the ESP 5W30, it wont harm anything to use it.

Edit: The NON-Delvac Mobil 1 ESP 5w40 is fine. Do not use the Movil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 in a stock common rail TDI.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Delvac1 5w40 ESP doesn't meet MB 229.51. Too much ash.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I'm familiar with the oil, the ash content, and the threads on why VW may have gone with a 30 weight over a 40 weight. I was pointing out (mostly for the OP) that the oil referenced by jjblbi may not be the choice for someone with a 2015 Passat and warranty concerns. Given that some dealerships have service managers who, for whatever reason, make life difficult for owners, the OP should be tracking oil specs.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Mobil 1 ESP-M will never be 507.0 approved because all 507.0 oils are (by definition) 5W30 oils. There is no such thing as a 5W40 oil with VW 507.0 approval. That said; the ESP-M 5W40 is a low SAPS oil so it would be safe for our emissions system.

This question has been discussed here several times with some members using the ESP-M formula and some preferring the 5W30 ESP formula. Some info:

The ESP 5W30 actually tests to be about a 5W38 motor oil in VOAs.
IIRC:
The ESP 5W30 is made in Europe and is sold in 1 Liter containers.
The ESP-M 5W40 is made in the US and it comes in 1 Quart containers.
This means that they are likely made from different "base stocks". I'm no oil chemistry expert, but some of the experts here prefer the European base stocks.

In summary, either oil is safe for your emissions system. Both are excellent lubricants. I would definitely stick with the 5W30 while my car was under warranty. After that it's your choice, but I plan to stick with the 5W30 507.0 Mobil-1. Others disagree.

Have Fun!

Don
https://forums.tdiclub.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3883163

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
anyone remember the days when there were only say 20 oils for everything, and diesels could run on peanut butter? them things would eat anything you threw at em from what i know lol. little oil from the kitchen frying pan and you were on your way to town.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Mobil1 Formula M ESP 5w40 was discontinued quite a few years ago. I doubt there's much old stock out there.

Last edited:

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I apologize for not being clearer. Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is not VW 507 compliant. The SA content is 1.0% vs the 507 spec requiring =<0.8%. I knowingly use Delvac 1 and am outside my warranty period. I have not had any emission component of DPF issues in 201k miles of ownership, all factory components are installed.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I bought castrol ll03 5w30 from rocky mountain european auto parts on black Friday. My local dealer went to pennzoil 0w30.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That Pennzoil is one of the best 507 oils out there. It's blended from super high quality gtl base stock.

skyblaster

TDI
2013 GSW Highline
That Pennzoil is one of the best 507 oils out there. It's blended from super high quality gtl base stock.
Would there be any reason to seek out a 5w-30 507 instead of this 0w-30?

I'm looking to take advantage of sale for this Quaker State UD Euro LX oil:
https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/58e3dc28-db62-4923-8c72-46524feab185.pdf

Unlike it's Pennzoil counterpart which reads "Made in Germany" on the jug, this Quaker State offering says "Made in USA of domestic and imported components".

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks like a good product. The "meets or exceeds" wording can be confusing though.