U.S. Comeback?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I'd love to see it, but I doubt VW has any interest in bringing them back.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd put the odds at 1:10,000. They basically wore out their welcome with the illegal stuff.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I'm gonna go against the grain and say we will see diesel come back.

Diesel fuel wont be phased out anytime soon because of over the road hauling. Electric just doesnt have the range that a diesel big rig does, so we are going to be reliant on it for a while longer.

Plus look at how good the buyback TDI's are selling. I'm seeing more on the road today than I was before the scandal. I think people are easy to forgive and forget, especially if Vw can prove to everyone (including CARB and the EPA) that the cars are legitimately as clean as they claim. And I can guarantee, IF Vw wants to bring them in, they will be HEAVILY scrutinized before they are certified for use on our roads.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle

Diesel fuel wont be phased out anytime soon because of over the road hauling. Electric just doesnt have the range that a diesel big rig does, so we are going to be reliant on it for a while longer.
I am with you on this, It is hard to find an electric car with range while towing. My little TDI still gives me 29 mpg when the trailer is attached to it and I can top up the tank pretty much anywhere in minutes. Electric has lots of catching up in this case.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner

Plus look at how good the buyback TDI's are selling. I'm seeing more on the road today than I was before the scandal. I think people are easy to forgive and forget, especially if Vw can prove to everyone (including CARB and the EPA) that the cars are legitimately as clean as they claim. And I can guarantee, IF Vw wants to bring them in, they will be HEAVILY scrutinized before they are certified for use on our roads.
I'm with Fixmy59bug. Diesel is far from dead and not going to go away tomorrow.

My next vehicle likely will be a diesel pickup truck to be able to get a diesel vehicle. I'm becoming more of a truck guy too. I wish I had kept the 08 Ford F-350 SuperDuty 6.4L PowerStroke Diesel pickup truck I owned several years ago. While my BMW diesels are long term keepers, I miss that truck and wish I had kept it. I didn't think I would miss it as much as I do when I sold it. At the time it was hard to justify owning 3 vehicles when I am the only driver of them. I will probably have another diesel pickup truck again in the future.

Whatever I own and drive absolutely HAS to be DIESEL powered. Gassers including gasser hybrids are not an option at all. BMW made a business decision to stop selling their diesel vehicles in the USA after 2018. That caused me to make a business decision too. BMW not returning with diesel vehicles means I won't be returning to BMW as a customer in the future. Volkswagen already lost me as a future repeat customer due to no more TDIs after the Dieselgate scandal. I had already moved on from VW TDIs to BMW Advanced Diesel before the Dieselgate scandal broke.

The diesel pickup truck market is already well established has not been threatened at all by the Dieselgate scandal. I am willing to do whatever it takes to continue owning and driving only DIESEL vehicles. Diesel pickup owners are our friends in this case.

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I am with you on this, It is hard to find an electric car with range while towing.

There's a huge cultural aversion to towing with anything that isn't a full sized truck in the USA. Even if you tow a jet ski with a Touareg or Atlas you're likely to get comments from strangers about "that must be pretty heavy for that small vehicle." People acted like I was absolutely insane towing a 750lb sailboat with an MKIV golf, they flat didn't believe me that it was effortless and barely noticed the weight. Diesel american trucks will stay for a long time, but I don't think towing will help bring diesel VWs back...

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
Couldn't agree more with the second part (not so much with the first). It will take AT LEAST ~2 years ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
At IDParts we estimate that the buyback cars will be around and in active service for another 10 years at least. We've been surprised that parts sales for ALH and BEW cars have been essentially level for the past 10 years, with a small spike in sales when folks sold back their CR cars, bought MKIVs, and dumped thousands into them to bring them up to snuff. If there's nothing out there to replace the buyback cars people are driving I suspect they'll be around for a while.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My next vehicle likely will be a diesel pickup truck to be able to get a diesel vehicle. I'm becoming more of a truck guy too. I wish I had kept the 08 Ford F-350 SuperDuty 6.4L PowerStroke Diesel pickup truck I owned several years ago. While my BMW diesels are long term keepers, I miss that truck and wish I had kept it. I didn't think I would miss it as much as I do when I sold it. At the time it was hard to justify owning 3 vehicles when I am the only driver of them. I will probably have another diesel pickup truck again in the future.
Whatever I own and drive absolutely HAS to be DIESEL powered. Gassers including gasser hybrids are not an option at all. BMW made a business decision to stop selling their diesel vehicles in the USA after 2018. That caused me to make a business decision too. BMW not returning with diesel vehicles means I won't be returning to BMW as a customer in the future. Volkswagen already lost me as a future repeat customer due to no more TDIs after the Dieselgate scandal. I had already moved on from VW TDIs to BMW Advanced Diesel before the Dieselgate scandal broke.
The diesel pickup truck market is already well established has not been threatened at all by the Dieselgate scandal. I am willing to do whatever it takes to continue owning and driving only DIESEL vehicles. Diesel pickup owners are our friends in this case.
Dieselgate did hurt the light duty truck market. It delayed the launch of the Canyon/Colorado by about half a year due to EPA requesting more testing and recertification. GM learned from this lesson and waited longer to launch the diesel in the 1500s, trucks and SUVS.

It hurt the Ram by the courts deciding the Fiat had to be hiding something in thier programming and forcing them to adjust the emmissions software. Lots of talk about a new class action lawsuit over the "fix". FCA has an active recall to reflash all of the fixed truck for a third time. The also had to deal with a stop sale of over half a year on the 17s. The 17s were subjected to the same software changes without compensation or getting the updated flash.

Dieselgate also delayed the launch of the F150 diesel, but then Ford took care of anyone really wnating one by only offering on the top couple of trims and designing the engine to eat bolts.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Dieselgate did hurt the light duty truck market. It delayed the launch of the Canyon/Colorado by about half a year due to EPA requesting more testing and recertification. GM learned from this lesson and waited longer to launch the diesel in the 1500s, trucks and SUVS.
It hurt the Ram by the courts deciding the Fiat had to be hiding something in thier programming and forcing them to adjust the emmissions software. Lots of talk about a new class action lawsuit over the "fix". FCA has an active recall to reflash all of the fixed truck for a third time. The also had to deal with a stop sale of over half a year on the 17s. The 17s were subjected to the same software changes without compensation or getting the updated flash.
Dieselgate also delayed the launch of the F150 diesel, but then Ford took care of anyone really wnating one by only offering on the top couple of trims and designing the engine to eat bolts.
But at least Mazda is offering us a new Skyactiv-D :eek:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Based on the sales figures, I don't think skyactiv d will hang around for long in this market.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I doubt they'll bring it back, but if they did, I'm sure VW would have tons of old customers come back. I would sell mine and buy a new one just for the newer safety tech if they brought them back. Since I know they're not going to bring them back, I'll keep driving my 15 Passat TDI. I had my issues with it, but I love the dang thing now that it's working again, lol. When I was younger I didn't see why anyone would want to keep an old car, but now I understand and am one of those people. If something happened to my car where it was totaled or something, then I would most likely buy another to replace it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Referring to a '15 Passat as an old car made me smile. My '15 GSW is the newest car I own. Oldest is a '93 Mercedes 300D, followed by a '97 Passat. That car is still a pleasure to drive despite being 22 years old and approaching 300K miles. Lots of life left.

If diesels don't come back i think I'm set for TDIs for the rest of my life, if necessary.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
My new car is an "05 Jeep CRD. {:eek:)
Just as well my "10 Golf TDI got totalled, much happier with the "02 .
I'm suspicious of the new & improved "features", I want to drive the car,
not a bunch of sensors in control.

Last edited:

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I loved my 05 Liberty CRD. I wish I still had it. Best car I have had in the snow, heavy with narrow tires, posi and full-time and part-time 4x4. Towing was 5k.
But our family out grew it and I kept the my Jetta and sold the Liby.

BTW an ECM and TCM tune will make you love it even more.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Based on the sales figures, I don't think skyactiv d will hang around for long in this market.
Considering we have been sitting on our initial CX-5 D since we got it last JULY, coupled with the fact that Mazda just IS NOT advertising them AND that they offer almost NO benefit over the gasoline versions, its a dead horse before even leaving the gate.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf

If I rubbed my finger inside the tailpipe of my (deceased) 2010 JSW, there wasn't any sign of soot. I didn't like the complexity of the emissions system, (etc.) but it was a 'clean' car in my book...

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
I am with you on this, It is hard to find an electric car with range while towing. My little TDI still gives me 29 mpg when the trailer is attached to it and I can top up the tank pretty much anywhere in minutes. Electric has lots of catching up in this case.
Battery 'density' (charging ability-length of charge) has to increase by a factor of 15, before batteries can equal gasoline. In the entire history of battery technology, 'density' has only increased by a factor of 10.
If an Li-O2 battery can be successfully developed, the internal combustion engine will fall by the wayside, like film cameras vs. Digital did about 20 years ago...

hallkbrdz

TDI
BWF, ALH
At $1M an engine to re-introduce it here, I doubt it. It's a shame, as diesel is the better choice for everything but all-out performance (light weight) vehicles.

JSH1

TDI
2014 JSW TDI DSG
Maybe I am mistaken on this one, but didn't the Dieselgate Agreement with the US regulatory agencies bar VW from importing any more diesels to the US?
No. The agreement prevented VW from exporting the cars they bought back. The easiest and cheapest thing to do would have been to buy back the TDIs and export them to a country with lower emission standards. The EPA made VW either fix them or scrap them but they couldn't leave the USA.

Last edited:

JSH1

TDI
2014 JSW TDI DSG
Saw this article yesterday, does this mean TDI's will be available in the U.S. again?
Diesel are not coming back in the USA and least not for passenger cars. Diesels are dead here and dying in Europe.

Now that the EU regulates CO2 and not fuel economy diesels no longer have a 15% advantage due to fuel density. Countries are also getting rid of favorable tax rates on diesel fuel. Today a DI turbo gas engine with a 48V mild hybrid system gets the same CO2 rating as a diesel. The hybrid system is also cheaper than the emissions on a diesel and doesn't have the stigma of diesel gate.

JSH1

TDI
2014 JSW TDI DSG

Diesel will be around for decades in the heavy duty market. EVs will work fine for port use, switching trailers, and short depot to depot runs. For long haul it will be diesels for a decade or more. Same with the offroad market.

Passenger cars and CUVs for personal use? Diesel is dead.