B4 Fog Lights

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Mr Brother in Law owns my Ex-B4 Passat Both Foglight self destructed the Chinese ones are a joke jut wondering if anyone has any left over

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
isn't that due to the mounting arms being a different orientation top to bottom (USA vs EU)?? the bumper i have is the EU one and that's the ones i thought the passat has, or whatever the opposite is from my mk3 mexican made A3. My mistake if they don't.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
isn't that due to the mounting arms being a different orientation top to bottom (USA vs EU)?? the bumper i have is the EU one and that's the ones i thought the passat has, or whatever the opposite is from my mk3 mexican made A3. My mistake if they don't.
It's the shape of the lens and the construction of the assembly. Mk3 fogs will not work in a B4.

Actually the Mk3 fogs are closer to those used in the B3 cars with fogs.

Steve

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
gotha, thanks, they look the same from pictures i see.
Now i now

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Here's comparison:

Mk3 foglight assembly

B4 foglight assembly

B3 foglight assembly

Steve

Last edited:

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
I also have a set of the cheap Chinese ones, and also have been very disappointed in them.... I think I even had some mild breakage while installing them.

For whatever its worth, I tried to install HID bulbs into my fog lights housings, and was never able to get them to do anything good.... They're basically impossible to get the direction correct and the light goes EVERYWHERE -- the opposite of good fog lights which should have a very focused, low beam with a clean cutoff.

I only bother to say all that because I am currently looking for some quality aftermarket projector-style fog lights that I can somehow retrofit down there to put some actually usable light down the road in a manner that does not blind oncoming traffic.
If you actually want some extra usable light from the fog lights, you might look into something other than the OEM options. I realize there will be a bit of compromise as the aftermarket lights won't fit quite right, but maybe I can easily make a shroud or something. I don't know -- I just know that I would really like a bit more usable light.

turtle133

TDI
'97 B4 Passat
Anyone who also has the crappy chinese ones and a jumpered relay #10 - have you had issues with the fogs overheating?
I don't what to attribute it to. I'm running yellow hella 55w H1's, which should be fine, but they get so hot in only a minute of being on they literally smoke.
I have a jumper in the relay 10 spot to make them come on with my brights as well as coming on with the fog pull setting on my switch (got a euroswitch for more fog settings).
Could it be the jumper's fault? Too much current to the fogs because there's no current regulation like I assume there would be with a relay there?
Or should I admit defeat and throw away the chinese fog housing/fixture assembly (figuring the issue is thin wire, bad connections in the housing to ground, idk??)

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
The fogs cant pull more current than whatever the load requires.… under 10A for both, assuming your charging system is putting out 14V.

That being said, the wiring in the China fogs is minuscule. Most people just use them for the lenses.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
If you have your old housings, just swap the wiring.

-Todd