What did you do to your MKIV today?

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
broke it. had a small stutter heading to work then about 2 min later it stuttered again and lost all power. it stalled and wouldnt restart. had to drug home and right before my driveway i tried starting it and it started but CEL and a flashing glow plug light greeted me, so now i get to fix twhatever this is now. thank god for VAG-Com.

five7driver

TDI
2001 Jetta, 2004 Jetta, 2008 Jetta (totaled), 2011 Jetta
Open-Heart surgery! Car was barely running so I cracked open the injection pump, gave it a thorough de-placqueing, sewed her back up and held my breath....started great on the first try and only needed a minor hammer-mod adjustment to get the IQ to exactly 5! Now running like a new car, better than ever! Only PITA was soldering back the 7 leads for the IQ adjuster. Just takes patience. (Our patients?)��

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
BAH!
Was checking out my wagon on Friday last week. We added some more oil. It fired after a little bit of cranking. The clear fuel line was empty, for some reason. There's no fuel leaking afaik. Good thing I've got the lift pump in there. Ran for a bit and stalled again. Seems like fuel cut. Fired it up again and it ran fine and started to drip oil. We originally thought it was a feed line or a drain line for the turbo, but it turns out it's leaking oil out of the passenger side back corner somewhere between the head and block. It produced a puddle that's about a quart. Definitely had a bigger leak when the rpms went up. Then, when I was about to shut it off(after we noticed the oil under it) it stalled again.

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
She’s a sleeper, *camper

[/IMG]

6’x 24” bedspace, rolling with my canary mastiff

Last edited:

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
So I believe I have an addiction issue. Bought my 3rd mk4 today.... the black gli today. The blue 1.8t last week. The red tdi may 2018.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Three mostly-excellent cars for less than the price of one Nissan Versa.

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
Three mostly-excellent cars for less than the price of one Nissan Versa.
Well it's actually 6 for less than the price of a new car ;) but I didnt want to sound THAT badly addicted by simply counting mk4 s I currently have lol

In addition there's a 2012 passat tdi sel premium; a 2007 rabbit and a nugget yellow corrado g60 withOUT sunroof ;)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Helped a friend find his oil leak. Gee wonder where it is :)

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Finished up replacing the steering column on my 4-dr. Had to do it because when I put back the original one during the replacement of my hvac box, a piece of metal fell out that was broken into 2 pieces, nearly exactly in half through the hole. I couldn't really tell where it went, and it was broken, so the likelihood of being able to repair the steering column was really close to zero. Basically the tilt/telescoping lock locked no longer. Hard to drive with that problem.

So I was able to get one from a 2005 GTI and finished that replacement yesterday. I like the new to me leather steering wheel because mine is degrading like most of them from 20 years ago.

Since the column was from the other maker than the original, I wondered what kind of problems there would be. (VW cautions you to get the same maker's column when replacing.) But it all works just the same. The replacement had a different location for the ground wire, but mine still bolted into the same hole that is in the key cylinder.

The only hiccup is that neither key tumbler would come out of the ignition casting. So I had to drill out the security retaining bolts from both so I could install the original ignition casting into the replacement. I decided that it was not a worrisome place - if a thief has access to that part of the steering column, a couple of security bolts aren't going to do anything to slow down a person who probably would just as soon use a BFH to solve the issues rather than carefully disassembling a couple of bolts. So I just went to a local hardware store and bought a couple of M8x1.25x20mm bolts to do the trick.

Yay! Almost ready to drive. I still have a couple of things to do up front while it is not being driven anyway, but the hard parts are done and I'm almost ready to go.

PS: took it for a short drive to get some blue locktite. I found I am 1 tooth off on the steering column, so I have to r&r the steering wheel so I won't go crazy with it being off just a bit. I was going to have to do it anyway because I didn't locktite the 2 screws that hold the ignition switch in place. So now there's 2 reasons to pull it apart. Oh, well. It shouldn't be that hard.

PPS: Hitman, you have an eye for nice Jettas with nice wheels. And thank you for the kind comment, Bob!

Cheers, PH

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I canceled the order for the second one. I wasn't confident it would be correct since the last one wasn't, and although my dealer would take it back (most won't on a red label from Germany), I didn't want to impose on them. Also got the old one recovered in a day and the order from Germany would have taken at least 10 days.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
^^^
Is there a way, or a setting in vbulletin, to force any image to scale down to, say, no more than 1024px wide? In an era of 5MB+ photos from phones, that sure would make reading message boards a lot easier.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I dropped it off and picked it up. Shop did not do the removal/install. New liner from VW retails at just under $500.

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug

What’s this? I’m leaking oil at the end, is it supposed to be connected to the oil pan?

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Had an interesting failure happen on my dad's car... Crimped a new end on and called it a day.

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
Lost the serp belt, drove home with powerless steering. Looks like the alternator pulley is seized. My mechanic has an ‘11 Jetta wagon 6s tdi midnight with less that 100k, part of the VW recall, ecu and exhaust work +50k drivetrain warranty.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
...What’s this? I’m leaking oil at the end, is it supposed to be connected to the oil pan?...
In order to try an minimize, if not prevent entirely, deposits building up in the intake manifold and choking your engine, the previous owner has bypassed the CCV and is venting it to the atmosphere instead of allowing it to enter the intake stream.

The action is that soot is introduced via the EGR, and combined with various "wetting" vapors from the CCV, they combine to deposit in the intake manifold. There are many pictures of such on this site. The theory is that if the CCV vapors are eliminated, the soot won't deposit and build up and will continue through the engine. This method is chosen because the ECU monitors whether the EGR is functioning or not by looking at the values coming from the MAF. If you choose to resolve the buildup issue by blocking the EGR, the ECU will trigger a code.

Cheers,

PH

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
This method is chosen because the ECU monitors whether the EGR is functioning or not by looking at the values coming from the MAF. If you choose to resolve the buildup issue by blocking the EGR, the ECU will trigger a code.
Cheers,
PH
I must be one of the lucky ones, I have been driving with the EGR/ASV delete for a couple on months now and no codes thrown.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Spent $400+ in brake parts for the '05 wagon at IDPARTS. TRW calipers, carriers, pads, rotors... Michigan's excessive use of road salt has ruined many a good car...