www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old March 26th, 2019, 21:56   #1
DieselDeeds

Default Question! Just straight piped my Q5

I just straight piped mine Q5 yesterday and finished the project off today by adding two resonators. Ive had a Rawtek 3 downpipe for a while now with a stage 2+ tune. I went to an exhaust shop because full exhaust systems for our cars (I think flowmaster is the only one that makes one for our setup) are expensive $$$. No cats, no mufflers, but I did have two resonators installed after they cut the mufflers off and put on two chrome black tips. So I have a 3 all the way back to the Y, they replaced the Y with a 3 inlet to 2.5 dual for about 6 in length, then back to the stock 2.25 piping, then to 2.5 for the muffler inlets. It was obnoxiously loud yesterday so I went back today and had them throw (an 8 and a 10 back to back). I absolutely love the sound now. Ill take a video tomorrow if I remember and Ill post it here.

Since I have a generic Stage 2+ tune from Malone, I'm wondering if it would be worth it to have a custom tune? I'm under the assumption the hp/tq gain or loss from a custom tune would most likely be negligible and go unnoticed but i'm looking to smooth out any rough edges in acceleration and increase the longevity of my car. What do ya'll think?- Just asking for opinions and knowledgeable advice.

Last edited by DieselDeeds; March 27th, 2019 at 09:10.
DieselDeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2019, 11:14   #2
Huskies2710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDeeds View Post
Since I have a generic Stage 2+ tune from Malone, I'm wondering if it would be worth it to have a custom tune? I'm under the assumption the hp/tq gain or loss from a custom tune would most likely be negligible and go unnoticed but i'm looking to smooth out any rough edges in acceleration and increase the longevity of my car. What do ya'll think?- Just asking for opinions and knowledgeable advice.
Check out my "Ownership Log", I just had a Custom ECU and TCU tune for my '16 A6. Last night I received some info from the shop better explaining what the TCU tune does in the simplest terms for me lol.

I'd say your presumption is correct though. A custom tune will smooth things out and its why I went with one. My car was kept an extra day to workout things and make changes with the ECU/TCU tune.

Here is what they told me:
"With the TCU upgrade we increased the torque limiter while increasing the speed and quality of each shift. When the car is in Dynamic-Sport mode, your tune will shift to the next gear quickly and smoothly minimizing the jerk motion when re-accelerating through shifts as you are used to. You are being pulled gear to gear instead of shifted in essence. Continuous power moving you forward at all times from quicker shifts and most aggressive in torque requested limiters. You now have minimal to no lag between gears. Hope this explains why you said you felt as if your being pulled harder in the higher gears.

As you asked, we kept the EGT/Turbo temps at a safe level to protect the car. Keeping the heat under control is why the power/torque increases were not as high they could have been for the ECU tune especially true when comparing to numbers you read online. Since your goal was to raise power, improve and smooth out shifting, while trying to protect emissions equipment (until you decide to delete, then we will really get some power!) We tried and I believe succeeded, to build a custom tune that produced the results you desired.

Last edited by Huskies2710; March 28th, 2019 at 10:41.
Huskies2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2019, 11:20   #3
Owain@malonetuning

Exhaust looks clean! Can only make so much power with the stock turbo, if you'd like to data log boost and EGT and email the file off to us we're happy to go over it. Stage 2 is fairly aggressive as is and is well tested, custom tuning is typically best suited for modified motors or older ECUs that aren't as clever but we can probably dial things up a hair based on the logs.

Cheers,

Owain

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2019, 14:13   #4
DieselDeeds

Thanks Owain! I have a vagcom, do I need to order a flashzilla to log and tune? When I had my stage 2+ tune done, I had PG Performance do it so i'm not sure how to log and tune via flashzilla. Thank you!

Deeds
Old March 27th, 2019, 14:29   #5
Owain@malonetuning

Flashzilla would be ideal, we're just in Surrey ourselves and there's an awd roller system nearby though. Wouldn't recommend street logging on this side of the border given the crack downs due to the incident with officer Cain (stancenation kid harassed him online over a deserved VI, whole PD has gone after enthusiasts since) best to play it safe in a controlled off road environment for this stuff

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2019, 15:15   #6
Pittdawg

Interesting; can I ask how much that ended up costing? I spent $763 on a full 3 inch Magnaflow catback and couldn't be happier with it.
Pittdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2019, 21:51   #7
DieselDeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittdawg View Post
Interesting; can I ask how much that ended up costing? I spent $763 on a full 3 inch Magnaflow catback and couldn't be happier with it.
The guy has done work on my last few cars so he might have swung me a deal and he knows Ill always come back to him for my work. I dont like to give exact numbers for pricing online for small independent companies (only to protect the integrity of his business and pricing) but I will tell you I ended up paying 100$ for both of the tips and less than $300 for the labor, pipes, and resonators. So after the Rawtek downpipe, he did all the piping, +resonators, cut out the bungs for the O2 sensors from the stock Audi piping and put them in the 3 piping, and everything to the tailpipes in the pictures and first post mentioned above. Total out the door, I feel comfortable saying everything for less than $400.

I really looked into getting the magnaflow! Sounds like you really like it?! Have you deleted your egr+dpf and had a tune?
Old March 28th, 2019, 09:58   #8
Pittdawg

Quote:
The guy has done work on my last few cars so he might have swung me a deal and he knows Ill always come back to him for my work. I dont like to give exact numbers for pricing online for small independent companies (only to protect the integrity of his business and pricing) but I will tell you I ended up paying 100$ for both of the tips and less than $300 for the labor, pipes, and resonators. So after the Rawtek downpipe, he did all the piping, +resonators, cut out the bungs for the O2 sensors from the stock Audi piping and put them in the 3 piping, and everything to the tailpipes in the pictures and first post mentioned above. Total out the door, I feel comfortable saying everything for less than $400.
I really looked into getting the magnaflow! Sounds like you really like it?! Have you deleted your egr+dpf and had a tune?
No emissions deletes, generic APR tune, BITDI intercooler, AFE Dry flow filter and a sprint booster. Would love to find a local TDI knowledgeable tuner to extract a bit more power but don't know of any.
Old April 1st, 2019, 13:51   #9
DieselDeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post
Flashzilla would be ideal, we're just in Surrey ourselves and there's an awd roller system nearby though. Wouldn't recommend street logging on this side of the border given the crack downs due to the incident with officer Cain (stancenation kid harassed him online over a deserved VI, whole PD has gone after enthusiasts since) best to play it safe in a controlled off road environment for this stuff

Hey Owain, I PMd you regarding a custom tune!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 7th, 2019, 21:11   #10
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2.0 CR 360hp

Just put a bigger turbo on it.right now you have the 2056 iirc. upgrade to 2260 and you get a nice increase i power with a tune.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old April 9th, 2019, 19:03   #11
commedeschatons

Quote:
I just straight piped mine Q5 yesterday
hell yeah buddy!

please post up some exhaust clips. I'm currently straight piped with no resonators/3inch and want to hear your setup
commedeschatons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 12:37   #12
DieselDeeds

Default Question! Just straight piped my Q5

So I went into my exhaust shop that I initially had do the work and had them weld on a new Y-pipe that went from a single 3 to a dual 2.5 all the way back to the tail pipes (before it went to a dual 2.5, then 2.25, then back 2.5) and then had a few additional resonators put on because the drone was becoming annoying while cruising on the freeway. Ive noticed with the pipe change that acceleration is much more smoothed out and the initial lag from stop to go is essentially gone. There was also a time when I added in the high flow cat and my gas mileage dropped a tad. On a trip to Oregon and back to WA, I averaged 35.3mpg with my wife, and two daughters in the back, and a car that was packed to the brim with speeds between 70-80mph. I took the HFC out and noticed a ~5mpg increase on the freeway and 3mpg increase with city driving. Current gas mileage with the HFC removed and resonators added on the freeway is anywhere between 41-43mpg if I stick between 63-68mph. The drone is soooo much better. The resonators were added towards the rear right before the tail pipes giving me a total of 5 resonators and no cats. It sounds great- nice and quiet with great performance. Attached is a picture and Ill get some sound clips soon.

Last edited by DieselDeeds; August 12th, 2019 at 12:43.
Old August 13th, 2019, 14:08   #13
Pittdawg

That's the issue with custom exhaust; no R&D, especially for drone. I did the same thing years ago on my GMC Envoy and had to keep changing out/adding resonators because of the drone driving me nuts. What initially started out as a cheaper option ended up costing me more to get it right. Hopefully you are happy now.
Old August 14th, 2019, 09:33   #14
DieselDeeds

Very true. I straight piped both of my turbod cars before Q5 (previous cars were WRX and then an STI) to get max power and gas mileage- I just kept adding resonators until I got the desired sound. After my dpf delete and tune on my Q5, I wanted to see what deleting the mufflers and going to a straight pipe would do- I picked up another 3mpg on the freeway but now dealing with the drone haha

Old August 16th, 2019, 07:38   #15
Daemon64

Fuel Economy: 4137 Miles - Avg on Computer 30.1MPG

Diesel,

That exhaust legit looks sick. I wish I could go this far... Massachusetts requires the DPF, they are super strick on emissions on second to california i think. I've been wondering if getting a catback would do anything because it reduces back pressure a bit, but then i remember that DPF will probably still be the most restrictive. I've been looking instead at anything that will reduce EGT... which ofcourse will help things.... So been looking at the dark side intercooler.... and also this: https://www.kwe-racing.de/Audi/Audi-...ml?language=en
Daemon64 is offline   Reply With Quote