www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old March 29th, 2019, 11:08   #46
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecw81 View Post
Or they have fleet-Exxon fuel cards and receive a discount for the testimonial/promotion.
Prove it! There is always a conspiracy theory eh?

Last edited by MichaelB; March 29th, 2019 at 14:41.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2019, 11:12   #47
tdiman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Prove it

Hereís a mystery to figure out I have two 2015 Jetta SEL tdi one gets 550 on a tank the other gets 640 on a tank Iím using Exxon only mileage did go up 40 to 50 miles per tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tdiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2019, 12:58   #48
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiman View Post
Hereís a mystery to figure out I have two 2015 Jetta SEL tdi one gets 550 on a tank the other gets 640 on a tank Iím using Exxon only mileage did go up 40 to 50 miles per tank
Please translate that to MPG not miles per tank.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2019, 06:00   #49
KevinGary
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 A6 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGary View Post
I wanted to report back on my experience with Exxon Synergy Diesel. At the outset, let me say that I know that this is not a scientific analysis and that it is one person's experience.

I have 89K miles on my 3.0 A6 TDI. Almost all of my miles are commuting miles in the NYC metro area. I have hand calculated the mileage of every tank since new and have input it into an excel spread sheet. (yes I have OCD!). After 89k miles my overall MPG is 28.6563. During those 89K miles I used BP and Shell fuel exclusively. So I have a pretty good baseline for comparison.

In recent months I noticed a decline in my MPG and decided to give Exxon Synergy a try. I have now driven 1,136 miles on it and have averaged 29.2783 MPG, i.e. an improvement of .622 mpg, or an improvement of slightly better than 2% when compared to my lifetime MPG. This is about the same as Exxon claims. These last 1,136 miles were typical commuting miles for me. No extended highway trips.

Of course that it is comparing it to my lifetime mileage. However, remember that I told you that I had observed a drop off on MPG and that is why I tried Exxon Synergy. In fact, for the 6,619 miles before the switch my MPG had dropped to 27.272. The drop off started last August and when it happened I tried various fuel additives to no avail. By late September I stopped with the fuel additives and decided that the car was just getting older. So by the time I tried Exxon Synergy I had driven over 5,000 miles since adding any of the additives. Comparing the Exxon Synergy to the entire "dropped period" the mileage was 2.006 MPG better, ie 7.3% better.

Of course part of the entire "drop period" included the warmer months and the impact of the fuel additives. So I also looked at my MPG for the 1,150 miles before the switch. This roughly lined up with the same number of miles that I had driven with Exxon Synergy (1,136) and all of the miles were winter miles (January-March). During this period I averaged just 25.727 MPG on BP and Shell. When comparing that MPG to the 29.2783 MPG I got with Exxon Synergy, there was an improvement of 3.551 MPG, or 13.798%.

Based on my experience it seems that Exxon Synergy does a better job of cleaning the fuel system than the additives I tried (Stanadyne, Power Service, Liqui Molly and XPD) or the fuel offered by Shel and BP. It also seems to improve the MPG by .6 MPG in my car, or about 2% when compared to the lifetime MPG.

I know that this is not a scientific analysis, but I thought I would report my observations.
I have now used the new Exxon fuel exclusively for the last 2,340 miles and have averaged a hand calculated 30 mpg. This is a 4.7% improvement over the 28.6563 mpg that I averaged for the car's first 89k miles. It is also a 12.8% improvement over the 26.59 mpg that I averaged during the 2,622 miles before the switch. While still not a scientific analysis, the MPG improvement that I have experienced with this fuel continues.
KevinGary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2019, 08:22   #50
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
I have now used the new Exxon fuel exclusively for the last 2,340 miles and have averaged a hand calculated 30 mpg. This is a 4.7% improvement over the 28.6563 mpg that I averaged for the car's first 89k miles. It is also a 12.8% improvement over the 26.59 mpg that I averaged during the 2,622 miles before the switch. While still not a scientific analysis, the MPG improvement that I have experienced with this fuel continues.
That's pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing your data KevinGary.

I wonder if in more performance engines, such as a V6 TDI, the potential MPG gains will be more noticeable (above 5% gain or so) and perhaps cost effective vs a TDI that is averaging around 40 MPG or better.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2019, 14:02   #51
KevinGary
Veteran Member

I have been pretty impressed so far.
Old April 21st, 2019, 06:12   #52
wensteph
Veteran Member

In trying to find an answer for something else I came across a paper by Infineum (world wide joint venture between XOM and Shell and one of the largest formulators of fuel and oil additives) on fuel borne catalysts which led to other papers. Short version is FBCs are catalysts included in fuel to cause the oxidation of soot in a DPF. Effective passive regeneration at at lower temperatures which increases time between active regenerations which would lower fuel consumption. Google fuel borne catalysts.

Perhaps Exxon is using this approach?

Last edited by wensteph; April 21st, 2019 at 06:45.
wensteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2019, 07:00   #53
tikal
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensteph View Post
In trying to find an answer for something else I came across a paper by Infineum (world wide joint venture between XOM and Shell and one of the largest formulators of fuel and oil additives) on fuel borne catalysts which led to other papers. Short version is FBCs are catalysts included in fuel to cause the oxidation of soot in a DPF. Effective passive regeneration at at lower temperatures which increases time between active regenerations which would lower fuel consumption. Google fuel borne catalysts.

Perhaps Exxon is using this approach?
Good info, thanks! I had read before on the topic of FBCs but your post made me curious to look it up again. Here is a link that explains the process of regeneration at a very high level but I think is a good summery about the role of PBCs and DPFs:

What you need to know about DPF regeneration additives

I wonder if there are any of the diesel fuel additives we discuss in this forum contain components such as cerium oxide and/or platinum. Here is one that might be available to fleet operators (the article is from 2005):

https://www.greencarcongress.com/200...diesel_te.html
Old May 6th, 2019, 05:35   #54
KevinGary
Veteran Member

Quote:
I wanted to report back on my experience with Exxon Synergy Diesel. At the outset, let me say that I know that this is not a scientific analysis and that it is one person's experience.

I have 89K miles on my 3.0 A6 TDI. Almost all of my miles are commuting miles in the NYC metro area. I have hand calculated the mileage of every tank since new and have input it into an excel spread sheet. (yes I have OCD!). After 89k miles my overall MPG is 28.6563. During those 89K miles I used BP and Shell fuel exclusively. So I have a pretty good baseline for comparison.

In recent months I noticed a decline in my MPG and decided to give Exxon Synergy a try. I have now driven 1,136 miles on it and have averaged 29.2783 MPG, i.e. an improvement of .622 mpg, or an improvement of slightly better than 2% when compared to my lifetime MPG. This is about the same as Exxon claims. These last 1,136 miles were typical commuting miles for me. No extended highway trips.

Of course that it is comparing it to my lifetime mileage. However, remember that I told you that I had observed a drop off on MPG and that is why I tried Exxon Synergy. In fact, for the 6,619 miles before the switch my MPG had dropped to 27.272. The drop off started last August and when it happened I tried various fuel additives to no avail. By late September I stopped with the fuel additives and decided that the car was just getting older. So by the time I tried Exxon Synergy I had driven over 5,000 miles since adding any of the additives. Comparing the Exxon Synergy to the entire "dropped period" the mileage was 2.006 MPG better, ie 7.3% better.

Of course part of the entire "drop period" included the warmer months and the impact of the fuel additives. So I also looked at my MPG for the 1,150 miles before the switch. This roughly lined up with the same number of miles that I had driven with Exxon Synergy (1,136) and all of the miles were winter miles (January-March). During this period I averaged just 25.727 MPG on BP and Shell. When comparing that MPG to the 29.2783 MPG I got with Exxon Synergy, there was an improvement of 3.551 MPG, or 13.798%.

Based on my experience it seems that Exxon Synergy does a better job of cleaning the fuel system than the additives I tried (Stanadyne, Power Service, Liqui Molly and XPD) or the fuel offered by Shel and BP. It also seems to improve the MPG by .6 MPG in my car, or about 2% when compared to the lifetime MPG.

I know that this is not a scientific analysis, but I thought I would report my observations.
I have now used the new Exxon fuel exclusively for the last 3,530 miles and have averaged a hand calculated 30.3787 mpg. This is a 6.01% improvement over the 28.6563 mpg that I averaged for the car's first 89k miles. It is also a 12.93% improvement over the 26.8991 mpg that I averaged during the 3,626 miles before the switch. While still not a scientific analysis, the MPG improvement that I have experienced with this fuel continues.
Old May 7th, 2019, 16:25   #55
asgoodasdead

a lot of exxon stations around here now carry this, but its always 40-60 cents per gallon more than diesel from any other station, so its impossible to justify buying for me
asgoodasdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 17:01   #56
KevinGary
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgoodasdead View Post
a lot of exxon stations around here now carry this, but its always 40-60 cents per gallon more than diesel from any other station, so its impossible to justify buying for me
For me it is the same price.
Old May 7th, 2019, 17:22   #57
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Mine doesn't even carry diesel.
Old May 9th, 2019, 11:46   #58
tikal
Veteran Member

My observations of the Exxon Synergy diesel fuel in the SE area of Houston are showing the same price, on the average, as compared to companies like Kroger, Valero, Shell, Murphy Oil and Chevron to name the ones I see more often.
Old May 13th, 2019, 12:44   #59
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Quote:
I have now used the new Exxon fuel exclusively for the last 3,530 miles and have averaged a hand calculated 30.3787 mpg. This is a 6.01% improvement over the 28.6563 mpg that I averaged for the car's first 89k miles. It is also a 12.93% improvement over the 26.8991 mpg that I averaged during the 3,626 miles before the switch. While still not a scientific analysis, the MPG improvement that I have experienced with this fuel continues.
Well, now it is time to switch back to regular for a few thousand miles and see if it goes down!
Old May 13th, 2019, 14:35   #60
KevinGary
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belome View Post
Well, now it is time to switch back to regular for a few thousand miles and see if it goes down!
I thought about it