www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub


Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 29th, 2019, 11:08   #46
MichaelB
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SE Wisconsin
Fuel Economy: very good
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecw81 View Post
Or they have fleet-Exxon fuel cards and receive a discount for the testimonial/promotion.
Prove it! There is always a conspiracy theory eh?

Last edited by MichaelB; March 29th, 2019 at 14:41.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2019, 11:12   #47
tdiman
Veteran Member
 
tdiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: bridgeport wv
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Prove it


Hereís a mystery to figure out I have two 2015 Jetta SEL tdi one gets 550 on a tank the other gets 640 on a tank Iím using Exxon only mileage did go up 40 to 50 miles per tank


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tdiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2019, 12:58   #48
MichaelB
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SE Wisconsin
Fuel Economy: very good
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiman View Post
Hereís a mystery to figure out I have two 2015 Jetta SEL tdi one gets 550 on a tank the other gets 640 on a tank Iím using Exxon only mileage did go up 40 to 50 miles per tank
Please translate that to MPG not miles per tank.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2019, 06:00   #49
KevinGary
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Long Island
TDI(s): 2015 A6 TDI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGary View Post
I wanted to report back on my experience with Exxon Synergy Diesel. At the outset, let me say that I know that this is not a scientific analysis and that it is one person's experience.

I have 89K miles on my 3.0 A6 TDI. Almost all of my miles are commuting miles in the NYC metro area. I have hand calculated the mileage of every tank since new and have input it into an excel spread sheet. (yes I have OCD!). After 89k miles my overall MPG is 28.6563. During those 89K miles I used BP and Shell fuel exclusively. So I have a pretty good baseline for comparison.

In recent months I noticed a decline in my MPG and decided to give Exxon Synergy a try. I have now driven 1,136 miles on it and have averaged 29.2783 MPG, i.e. an improvement of .622 mpg, or an improvement of slightly better than 2% when compared to my lifetime MPG. This is about the same as Exxon claims. These last 1,136 miles were typical commuting miles for me. No extended highway trips.

Of course that it is comparing it to my lifetime mileage. However, remember that I told you that I had observed a drop off on MPG and that is why I tried Exxon Synergy. In fact, for the 6,619 miles before the switch my MPG had dropped to 27.272. The drop off started last August and when it happened I tried various fuel additives to no avail. By late September I stopped with the fuel additives and decided that the car was just getting older. So by the time I tried Exxon Synergy I had driven over 5,000 miles since adding any of the additives. Comparing the Exxon Synergy to the entire "dropped period" the mileage was 2.006 MPG better, ie 7.3% better.

Of course part of the entire "drop period" included the warmer months and the impact of the fuel additives. So I also looked at my MPG for the 1,150 miles before the switch. This roughly lined up with the same number of miles that I had driven with Exxon Synergy (1,136) and all of the miles were winter miles (January-March). During this period I averaged just 25.727 MPG on BP and Shell. When comparing that MPG to the 29.2783 MPG I got with Exxon Synergy, there was an improvement of 3.551 MPG, or 13.798%.

Based on my experience it seems that Exxon Synergy does a better job of cleaning the fuel system than the additives I tried (Stanadyne, Power Service, Liqui Molly and XPD) or the fuel offered by Shel and BP. It also seems to improve the MPG by .6 MPG in my car, or about 2% when compared to the lifetime MPG.

I know that this is not a scientific analysis, but I thought I would report my observations.
I have now used the new Exxon fuel exclusively for the last 2,340 miles and have averaged a hand calculated 30 mpg. This is a 4.7% improvement over the 28.6563 mpg that I averaged for the car's first 89k miles. It is also a 12.8% improvement over the 26.59 mpg that I averaged during the 2,622 miles before the switch. While still not a scientific analysis, the MPG improvement that I have experienced with this fuel continues.
KevinGary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2019, 08:22   #50
tikal
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southeast Texas
Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGary View Post
I have now used the new Exxon fuel exclusively for the last 2,340 miles and have averaged a hand calculated 30 mpg. This is a 4.7% improvement over the 28.6563 mpg that I averaged for the car's first 89k miles. It is also a 12.8% improvement over the 26.59 mpg that I averaged during the 2,622 miles before the switch. While still not a scientific analysis, the MPG improvement that I have experienced with this fuel continues.
That's pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing your data KevinGary.

I wonder if in more performance engines, such as a V6 TDI, the potential MPG gains will be more noticeable (above 5% gain or so) and perhaps cost effective vs a TDI that is averaging around 40 MPG or better.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2019, 14:02   #51
KevinGary
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Long Island
TDI(s): 2015 A6 TDI
Default

I have been pretty impressed so far.
KevinGary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2019, 06:12   #52
wensteph
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Savannah
Default

In trying to find an answer for something else I came across a paper by Infineum (world wide joint venture between XOM and Shell and one of the largest formulators of fuel and oil additives) on fuel borne catalysts which led to other papers. Short version is FBCs are catalysts included in fuel to cause the oxidation of soot in a DPF. Effective passive regeneration at at lower temperatures which increases time between active regenerations which would lower fuel consumption. Google fuel borne catalysts.

Perhaps Exxon is using this approach?

Last edited by wensteph; April 21st, 2019 at 06:45.
wensteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2019, 07:00   #53
tikal
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southeast Texas
Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensteph View Post
In trying to find an answer for something else I came across a paper by Infineum (world wide joint venture between XOM and Shell and one of the largest formulators of fuel and oil additives) on fuel borne catalysts which led to other papers. Short version is FBCs are catalysts included in fuel to cause the oxidation of soot in a DPF. Effective passive regeneration at at lower temperatures which increases time between active regenerations which would lower fuel consumption. Google fuel borne catalysts.

Perhaps Exxon is using this approach?
Good info, thanks! I had read before on the topic of FBCs but your post made me curious to look it up again. Here is a link that explains the process of regeneration at a very high level but I think is a good summery about the role of PBCs and DPFs:

What you need to know about DPF regeneration additives

I wonder if there are any of the diesel fuel additives we discuss in this forum contain components such as cerium oxide and/or platinum. Here is one that might be available to fleet operators (the article is from 2005):

https://www.greencarcongress.com/200...diesel_te.html
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2019, 05:35   #54
KevinGary
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Long Island
TDI(s): 2015 A6 TDI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGary View Post
I wanted to report back on my experience with Exxon Synergy Diesel. At the outset, let me say that I know that this is not a scientific analysis and that it is one person's experience.

I have 89K miles on my 3.0 A6 TDI. Almost all of my miles are commuting miles in the NYC metro area. I have hand calculated the mileage of every tank since new and have input it into an excel spread sheet. (yes I have OCD!). After 89k miles my overall MPG is 28.6563. During those 89K miles I used BP and Shell fuel exclusively. So I have a pretty good baseline for comparison.

In recent months I noticed a decline in my MPG and decided to give Exxon Synergy a try. I have now driven 1,136 miles on it and have averaged 29.2783 MPG, i.e. an improvement of .622 mpg, or an improvement of slightly better than 2% when compared to my lifetime MPG. This is about the same as Exxon claims. These last 1,136 miles were typical commuting miles for me. No extended highway trips.

Of course that it is comparing it to my lifetime mileage. However, remember that I told you that I had observed a drop off on MPG and that is why I tried Exxon Synergy. In fact, for the 6,619 miles before the switch my MPG had dropped to 27.272. The drop off started last August and when it happened I tried various fuel additives to no avail. By late September I stopped with the fuel additives and decided that the car was just getting older. So by the time I tried Exxon Synergy I had driven over 5,000 miles since adding any of the additives. Comparing the Exxon Synergy to the entire "dropped period" the mileage was 2.006 MPG better, ie 7.3% better.

Of course part of the entire "drop period" included the warmer months and the impact of the fuel additives. So I also looked at my MPG for the 1,150 miles before the switch. This roughly lined up with the same number of miles that I had driven with Exxon Synergy (1,136) and all of the miles were winter miles (January-March). During this period I averaged just 25.727 MPG on BP and Shell. When comparing that MPG to the 29.2783 MPG I got with Exxon Synergy, there was an improvement of 3.551 MPG, or 13.798%.

Based on my experience it seems that Exxon Synergy does a better job of cleaning the fuel system than the additives I tried (Stanadyne, Power Service, Liqui Molly and XPD) or the fuel offered by Shel and BP. It also seems to improve the MPG by .6 MPG in my car, or about 2% when compared to the lifetime MPG.

I know that this is not a scientific analysis, but I thought I would report my observations.
I have now used the new Exxon fuel exclusively for the last 3,530 miles and have averaged a hand calculated 30.3787 mpg. This is a 6.01% improvement over the 28.6563 mpg that I averaged for the car's first 89k miles. It is also a 12.93% improvement over the 26.8991 mpg that I averaged during the 3,626 miles before the switch. While still not a scientific analysis, the MPG improvement that I have experienced with this fuel continues.
KevinGary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 16:25   #55
asgoodasdead
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: NJ
Default

a lot of exxon stations around here now carry this, but its always 40-60 cents per gallon more than diesel from any other station, so its impossible to justify buying for me
asgoodasdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 17:01   #56
KevinGary
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Long Island
TDI(s): 2015 A6 TDI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgoodasdead View Post
a lot of exxon stations around here now carry this, but its always 40-60 cents per gallon more than diesel from any other station, so its impossible to justify buying for me
For me it is the same price.
KevinGary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 17:22   #57
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member
 
Lightflyer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Default

Mine doesn't even carry diesel.
__________________
How to post pics:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...t=post+picture
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2019, 11:46   #58
tikal
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southeast Texas
Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)
Default

My observations of the Exxon Synergy diesel fuel in the SE area of Houston are showing the same price, on the average, as compared to companies like Kroger, Valero, Shell, Murphy Oil and Chevron to name the ones I see more often.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 12:44   #59
belome
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mid MI
Fuel Economy: 47'ish
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGary View Post
I have now used the new Exxon fuel exclusively for the last 3,530 miles and have averaged a hand calculated 30.3787 mpg. This is a 6.01% improvement over the 28.6563 mpg that I averaged for the car's first 89k miles. It is also a 12.93% improvement over the 26.8991 mpg that I averaged during the 3,626 miles before the switch. While still not a scientific analysis, the MPG improvement that I have experienced with this fuel continues.
Well, now it is time to switch back to regular for a few thousand miles and see if it goes down!
__________________
The only thing I can pass is a fuel stop, but I'm OK with that.
My claim to fame - I was banned from VWVortex!
belome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 14:35   #60
KevinGary
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Long Island
TDI(s): 2015 A6 TDI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by belome View Post
Well, now it is time to switch back to regular for a few thousand miles and see if it goes down!
I thought about it
KevinGary is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exxon Diesel (Junk?) Kier Fuels & Lubricants 3 January 23rd, 2008 08:10
Exxon premium diesel ufoguy Fuels & Lubricants 2 April 11th, 2004 07:45
sunoco premium or mobil/exxon diesel? todd turner VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 1 April 20th, 2003 17:39
Exxon/Mobil Consumer Diesel FAQ TDITim Fuels & Lubricants 10 April 26th, 2001 11:08
Ugly Exxon and Love's Diesel Luis Fuels & Lubricants 3 April 18th, 2001 07:40


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
© 1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.18484 seconds with 12 queries
[Output: 133.94 Kb. compressed to 113.14 Kb. by saving 20.80 Kb. (15.53%)]