www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old March 23rd, 2019, 10:00   #301
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
The thread can now get back on topic.

LOL

2015 Q5 TDI w/ Chipwerke tuner, 36K Miles. Post fix MPG: 33.9
2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2019, 20:16   #302
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Yes please bring this thread back on topic. Thank you all!
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2019, 08:31   #303
showdown 42
Veteran Member

Wind /solar/ VW interest in diesels quite a departure from the original subject. VW is going in a different direction. They are buying the electric thing that they will fail in as they have had in hybrids.

If their brilliant scientists can come up with a 500 mi battery you will have a huge success. Everyone is going for the holy grail good luck to all. I'm sure everybody has the same idea.
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2019, 10:00   #304
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Well, mild hybrids aren't exactly an enthralling subject matter, honestly. Any discussion is better than no discussion, imo. The drift police show up, and.... crickets.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2019, 19:24   #305
atc98002
Veteran Member

I spent a couple of hours with a '19 e-Golf SEL today, and I'm seriously considering it. A 2-3 year lease and then all the new ID models will be appearing. That smooth quiet torque is something, and the indicated power consumption was noticeably better than the EPA lists.

The EPA calculates the eMPG rating at 2.8 kWh per mile, and the dash display showed an average for my drive of 4.5 kWh per mile. Temps in the mid-60s, so the A/C was running, and climbing several good sized hills, along with a brief freeway jaunt. If that number holds for most of my driving, that would calculate out to a range close to 150 miles, which I would be satisfied with for now.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2019, 21:22   #306
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98002 View Post
I spent a couple of hours with a '19 e-Golf SEL today, and I'm seriously considering it. A 2-3 year lease and then all the new ID models will be appearing. That smooth quiet torque is something, and the indicated power consumption was noticeably better than the EPA lists.

The EPA calculates the eMPG rating at 2.8 kWh per mile, and the dash display showed an average for my drive of 4.5 kWh per mile. Temps in the mid-60s, so the A/C was running, and climbing several good sized hills, along with a brief freeway jaunt. If that number holds for most of my driving, that would calculate out to a range close to 150 miles, which I would be satisfied with for now.
Shouldn't that be 2.8 miles per kWh and 4.5 miles per kWh?
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2019, 09:14   #307
atc98002
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
Shouldn't that be 2.8 miles per kWh and 4.5 miles per kWh?
Yep, you're right. I reversed them. Too busy typing to proof-read I guess. Thanks for the catch. At least I had it right in my head.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 03:45   #308
ranger pete

TDI(s): 2011 JSW 6MT

Good to see that VW hasn't thrown in the towel on Diesels.

I think mild hybrids will become the default for all manufacturers soon. I would prefer to see the starter generator be integrated with the flywheel, ala the original Honda Insight. This vehicle, with a properly driven manual transmission, still beats the pants off anything, anyone else has come up with in the nearly 20 years since.

That vehicle had one drawback. No EV only mode. The second gen insight had an EV only cruise mode, where under certain conditions it would shut down the fuel system and close all the valves. It was full cylinder deactivation. But it was still not as efficient as other hybrid systems and could not be used in stop and go traffic which is where other hybrids shine.

What I would really like to see is this type of system with a clutch between the engine and the motor/generator. This way you would have an efficient, low speed EV mode.

Another thought I had was something along the lines of what toyota is doing with the hybrid RAV4. Conventional ICE drivetrain up front, with a motor driving the rear. Use the rear for stop and go stuff as well as snow and drive it the rest of the time as a normal manual trans TDI.

I would love to see such a kit developed for existing TDIs.
ranger pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 18:05   #309
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger pete View Post
I would love to see such a kit developed for existing TDIs.
would be fairly easy with the wheel motors now available
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 19:24   #310
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: All good on the motion lotion

Sooo nice....
https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopni...1833978636/amp
VAG range seems to be utilizing the 48 volt systems in all their diesels now, pity we'll never get it
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 07:29   #311
BeetlePD

TDI(s): Beetle 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger pete View Post
What I would really like to see is the Insight type of system with a clutch between the engine and the motor/generator. This way you would have an efficient, low speed EV mode.
The Jetta Hybrid has a clutch to disconnect the engine from the wheels & run pure electric. I think the Hyundai hybrids too.

Personally I think pure EV in a mild hybrid is a waste. The Prius in pure EV mode only goes 1 mile and then the engine turns back on, so why even bother? Besides the Insight was only 1.0 liter..... 1 mile of low speed city driving is only 1/50th gallon of gasoline. Hardly wasteful

I’ve driven both Prius and Insight in L.A. and the Insight still gets higher MPG (even without EV mode)

Last edited by BeetlePD; April 13th, 2019 at 07:44.
BeetlePD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 07:37   #312
BeetlePD

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
We've put 23,000 miles on our Model 3 in 6 months. I'd say the battery tech is there . Actually, the Model 3 starts at $35,000. Not sure where you get the $42,900 number from. J
Tesla hasnít built any $35,000 models yet. They are starting with the most-expensive models first (the ones 40,000 and up) and wonít begin manufacturer of base models until the summer.

ALSO: I could buy a $15,000 base Civic or Corolla or Focus or Versa or _____ and save 21,000 immediately (including taxes). Even if I drove them 200,000 miles worth of gasoline, Iíd still be spending less money for the life of the car

Old April 13th, 2019, 07:41   #313
BeetlePD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Ever heard the quote a penny saved is a penny earned? Money not going out of your pocket is more money in your pocket... And IIRC you can request a cash out.
LIGHTFLYER often accuses me of not doing searchesv& reading existing posts. Apparently he cannot read either (see bold above).
Old April 13th, 2019, 09:02   #314
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetlePD View Post
The Jetta Hybrid has a clutch to disconnect the engine from the wheels & run pure electric. I think the Hyundai hybrids too.
Personally I think pure EV in a mild hybrid is a waste. The Prius in pure EV mode only goes 1 mile and then the engine turns back on, so why even bother? Besides the Insight was only 1.0 liter..... 1 mile of low speed city driving is only 1/50th gallon of gasoline. Hardly wasteful
Iíve driven both Prius and Insight in L.A. and the Insight still gets higher MPG (even without EV mode)
The EV-only mode is a hybrid's best feature in heavy traffic urban driving.
It's where a hybrid makes the most sense and delivers the biggest advantage in mpg.
Engine-off allows one to sit in stop and go traffic almost indefinitely without adding
to the local pollution as you inch along, a big plus in downtown congestion.
It's probably my favorite thing about our 11-year-old Escape Hybrid.
Old April 13th, 2019, 09:42   #315
ranger pete

TDI(s): 2011 JSW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
would be fairly easy with the wheel motors now available
Exactly. It wouldn't need to be much power. 10 hp/wheel would be more than enough.

Imagine a 6 speed TDI 4x4 with regen braking and the ability to crawl along in urban traffic without having your left leg fall off from fatigue. It would be the best of both worlds. And I imagine it would be retrofittable to any tdi.

I suspect the only reason we haven't seen it yet has to do with our ridiculous regulatory system.
ranger pete is offline   Reply With Quote