www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old April 9th, 2019, 09:15   #16
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXD View Post
Redline was a poor choice of words. I meant do you drive it as Growler describes. Driving in the fast lane is not the same.

Smells like an oil fed runaway to me initiated by incorrect QA position.

I don't see a TC happening to fail after a guy opened up the pump.

300k Is not high mileage for a TDI. Mine has 400k and I would have no qualms about redlining it. And here I do mean redlining.

My ALH Beetle will pull redline very handily (5000 RPM) - and smoke like a train doing it (overfueled). I try to avoid that. And I'm at 370K miles. My tune enables this....
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 10:11   #17
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU
Fuel Economy: mk3 ~43mpg

almost all these cases posted where the engine over-revs a valve will go into a piston before a rod goes out of the block.
seems obvious he was hot-rodding it. probably hard.
how many miles were on it?
iluvmydiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 11:18   #18
showdown 42
Veteran Member

We all have to learn how to read posts. Our school system is an embarrassment.
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 11:47   #19
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmydiesels View Post
almost all these cases posted where the engine over-revs a valve will go into a piston before a rod goes out of the block.
seems obvious he was hot-rodding it. probably hard.
how many miles were on it?
I'm not sure you can hotrod a motor much more than having it runaway.
Old April 9th, 2019, 11:55   #20
melbatst

Have been to St. Louis many times - was questioning the reference that "DFIS was right in my neck of the woods" - as the west coast of Oregon is in a different woods than Missouri, just take Farty-Four and keep driving.

Thanks for the info on the Bosch facility
melbatst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 12:01   #21
melbatst

I agree with your mileage assessment. Probably don't redline it as I guess I need to.
Old April 9th, 2019, 12:06   #22
melbatst

Quantum,

I'm about 3 hours away (central coast) but can get to Portland - would be thankful for any involvement. Mad at myself for getting into this position.
Old April 9th, 2019, 12:08   #23
melbatst

Should be banned for not checking the list - took his recommendation and trusted it
Old April 9th, 2019, 12:12   #24
melbatst

320k, but all the maintenance (timing belts, filters, ...) has always been done.
Old April 9th, 2019, 12:15   #25
melbatst

Showdown,

So true. Lack of proper capitalization is rampant.
Old April 9th, 2019, 13:00   #26
csstevej
Veteran Member

I would take the pump off and document it with video and send it to DFIS for a tear down report and see what they find.
It’s hard to go against an authorized dealer with high recommendations and depending on there findings go from there.
I would also get ahold of your insurance company and possible a lawyer.
Old April 9th, 2019, 13:05   #27
CrazyQuantumMan
Veteran Member

I'm currently in NC but will be home April 17th. We are headed to Newport next week to visit family so if you're in that area I can come help out. I'll bring my video gear and we'll do a quality reveal on the pump.
Old April 9th, 2019, 13:39   #28
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

It doesn't really matter what happened: the car threw a rod while in your mechanic's care and while they were test driving it after a repair. We could speculate on why that happened but regardless I would say they owe you an engine.
Old April 9th, 2019, 14:35   #29
bizzle
Veteran Member

I don't think we can simply conclude that, since it broke in the mechanic's possession, he's liable for replacing it. That kind of rule would expose businesses to an untenable amount of liability--any time someone brought something in for repair the shop would have to refuse to test drive the car or else risk having to replace anything that breaks after the repair is complete. They'd simply give you the car back and, if something breaks on the drive home, you'd be legally liable for it under this new "possessor fixes any defects" legal theory. People would shoelace and bubble gum their cars back together to limp them into their closest mechanics in the hopes the engine would blow and they get a new one.

Less theoretical, however, is the very real mindset of anyone reviewing this case and concluding that a 300K vehicle is susceptible to anything happening regardless of who is driving and the owner could have just as likely been behind the wheel (maybe that's how test drives would be done, with mechanics riding shotgun and refusing any liability for anything going wrong before, during, or after an isolated repair). That is, if it ever gets to the point of a judge or insurance adjuster looking at the facts, they're going to want and need a piece of paper or testimony from some expert stating that the mechanic caused the fault rather than it simply happening in due course while under the mechanic's care/supervision.
bizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 14:43   #30
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Real tough case, we've had 2 of these today. Best of luck to you. DFIS will certainly tell you what shape they find the pump in, and it'll cost roughly the price of a new one. But I don't know if they or anyone can tell you that's what caused the engine damage.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote