www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old December 13th, 2018, 05:18   #121
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
The 1.4L in a base model Golf may be a great contender for an ALH after all.
I find this car seriously tempting for commuting and local use. And in the S trim it's just the way I like it: 6-speed manual, cloth seats, no sunroof. I've been thinking about finding the lowest mileage '15 SE Manual TDI I can, but the new Golf wouldn't cost much more. And no regens.

However, I'll probably just continue to drive my ALH TDIs. They work great, and cost less to own (insurance and taxes).
Old December 13th, 2018, 05:37   #122
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ha! "Nostradumbass".... Awesome! I'm using that one.

RUG is down to $1.64/gal around here. Perhaps the TSI engines that can make use of that will do pretty well for the time being. Diesel was almost 80 cents more, it has not [yet] enjoyed a drop in price. The 1.4L in a base model Golf may be a great contender for an ALH after all. I'd still steer clear of the 1.8L and 2.0L TSI engines, though.

$1.64! What year is this thread. Wow, I think RUG is $2.50 here and I'm paying $3 or so for D2. At $1.64 no wonder big trucks and SUV's are selling so great. That is some cheap fuel.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2018, 06:26   #123
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
EV sales in Europe are still a small percentage overall, but at the rate they're going, they won't be for long. I don't think the plummeting popularity of diesels in Europe portends well for the future availability of diesel cars here.
I agree definitively. Unfortunately the majority of light diesel vehicles not sold or 'removed' from the US market will be substituted by gasoline powered SUVs struggling to improve the overall non-commercial vehicle MPG average of the USA in any meaningful statistical way.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2019, 07:54   #124
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Quote:
Yes and no.
The belt driven 2.0L turbo gas engines continued on after 2008 in certain models for a few years, the Audi A4, the Golf R, the Audi TT. These are akin to the BPY engine like the 2006/07/early '08 GTI/GLI/Eos/B6 Passat got. Those engines were largely still based on the "old" belt driven engines like the ALH/AEG/AWM/BEW/BRM/AZG/AVH/BEV/AWP, etc. The BPY etc. engines' early on had issues with the cam follower driving the HPFP wearing through, look similar to the PD cam/lifter wear, and like the PDs, made much, much worse by use of improper oil. However UNlike the PDs (or any of the VAG TDIs), oil consumption compounded this, something many VAG gas engines have had issues with. They did issue a revised camshaft and follower for these, which would have been factory installed on any of the belt driven 2.0L DI turbo engines after about 2008 (so all the belt driven Rs). And really, with those, so long as you use the proper 5w40 502.00 spec oil, good oil filters, and keep it full, they are pretty robust engines. They also do not seem to have nearly as bad of an intake port gunking as the later DI engines for some reason. These use the same aluminum water pump inside the front of the block, driven by the timing belt, design as the other similar engines, a normal design rear main seal, etc. They had some sensor updates as well, mainly rail pressure sensors, as well as some lambda sensor issues.
The EA888 engines (the chain driven ones) can sometimes have plenty of timing chain warnings on the early ones, as the tensioners bleed down (there is a TSB for this, and an updated tensioner). However the later ones (2010+) already have the newer style tensioner, and they can quite often come apart at cold start with absolutely no warning prior whatsoever. None. Some will exhibit CKP/CMP correlation DTCs and some noise shortly before, and those can be saved albeit it is still an expensive and labor intensive job. The timing chain design on these is unique, and by far one of the dumbest I have ever seen (and I have worked on chain driven OHCs on engines from Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, Nissan, MB, BMW, and others). The crank sprocket does not index on to the crank with a conventional keyway or "D" shape, but instead uses this strange star gear thing that is difficult to describe. And it is not just one chain. There are three. One to run the camshafts, one to run the balance shafts, and one to run the oil pump. When you take the front pulley loose, the front sprocket has nothing to hold it tight to the crank, because it relies on the pulley for that. So it can jump off if you are not careful. It isn't like you can just expose the front of the engine and have the whole chain drive in front of you. There is an upper and lower cover. The mount is in the way on transverse applications, and the cam chain runs THROUGH the head. This is why it is an 8-hour job, even though it is done with the engine in the car (unlike the VR6 and I-5 engines that require transmission/engine separation) .
Thanks so much for this. Does the 1.8 TSI share all the potential problems of the 2010+ EA8888? Did they put the revised main seal on the 1.4 TSI? Seems like when I figure out how to get rid of all this old stuff a MK6 R and a 2019 Jetta 1.4 Sportwagen would be a good combination. Jeep Compass VS Sportwagen is still a possibility. You get a lot of stuff on the Compass for the same price and it's a simple NA motor which is a good thing. Don't know if there is a VAG COM equivalent for Jeeps. Thanks again.
Old April 5th, 2019, 06:35   #125
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaB4S View Post
Originally Posted by 2.2TDI View Post
"Seriously, people need to stop putting vw and their tdis on a pedistal, especially after what they did.."

So what motivated you to register for this forum?

The VW TDI deserves to be on a pedestal due to their lengthy history of durability and performance. Casting stones at the TDI won't resolve any buyer's remorse you may have with the TSI.

And let's not mix please the ethics/moral (or lack thereof) of a company executives (in this case VW) with the quality/durability/efficiency/performance/reliability (to some degree) of TDI engines their engineers/technicians/etc have put together since year xxxx.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2019, 07:16   #126
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Two more blown out rear main seals this week... one on an A4 quattro. A 10 hour job!
Old April 7th, 2019, 18:05   #127
jason_
Veteran Member

What is failing? The rubber itself?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2019, 03:29   #128
oilhammer

There is no "rubber". There is just the seal material, a single lip, glued to a piece of stamped steel, that falls off. Usually due to the crankcase pressure regulator valve failing, but not always.

Old April 8th, 2019, 06:40   #129
jason_
Veteran Member

So the seal is metallic, not soft or pliable? There isn't a fine spring to keep it wrapped against crank shaft journal?

Some hydraulic cylinders rely on pressure to keep the lip against the ram, not sure of that's vws idea

And regardless what it's made of, very sad it's glued on. Such cheapness.

Last edited by jason_; April 8th, 2019 at 06:43.
Old April 8th, 2019, 06:46   #130
oilhammer

No it is some sort of soft material, not idea what, but it is NOT like the conventional type crankshaft or camshaft seals. Although many other newer VAG engines DO use the same type of material, with the single lip (no spring), these are unique in that they are integral with the flange itself. Even other VAG engines that have the seal and flange combined are still more akin to the conventional type of construction. Not these.
Old April 8th, 2019, 14:57   #131
jayb79
Veteran Member

It really does seem like it is engineered to fail.
Old April 8th, 2019, 20:02   #132
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
There is no "rubber". There is just the seal material, a single lip, glued to a piece of stamped steel, that falls off. Usually due to the crankcase pressure regulator valve failing, but not always.
why not look at the iABED Rear Main Seal upgrade?
Old April 9th, 2019, 02:49   #133
jason_
Veteran Member

Oh, so they willingly chose a more ****ty design?

That's even more ridiculous!

Seems it's what the vehicle world is turning into, poor quality, and poorer quality labor to repair those poor quality parts.

Gfs Lincoln, the all mighty Lincoln!!, a certified dealer was willing to release the car with an entire missing belly pan, who the service manager reassured me it wasn't necessary.

I said if yiy were an engineer you wouldn't be saying that, only because I'm sitting here since the shield fell off after your certified tech touched it last...

Back bolts came loose and backing up in snowing it pushed forward and ripped a side tank off the radiator.

I told him this dealer is a scam! You try and sell me a Lincoln, stuff your pockets with commission, then if I need repairs out of warranty you let it roll out the door with more missing parts then what i bought it with!!

He was getting frustrated. I was at the least somewhat polite and asked if I should open his office door for some fresh air.

Whatever.

Last edited by jason_; April 9th, 2019 at 02:55.
Old April 9th, 2019, 03:41   #134
oilhammer

They are trying to keep costs down. Which is why so many components now come courtesy of China.

The latest this week are the Toyota oil filters for the new Camry hybrid (they went BACK to a spin on can style filter, supplied by Denso, made in China), and the transmission control module and integral solenoid pack for the Hydromatic 6T40 transmission... also made in China.

Then just yesterday (get this), a 2014 Yukon's tail lamp assembly, which was $600, because its internal LED driver died. Guess where it was made? Yep. China. SIX HUNDRED DOLLAR TAIL LIGHT. Seriously?
Old April 9th, 2019, 08:47   #135
jason_
Veteran Member

The mkt tail lense is $1700 from Lincoln.

It's a single huge piece of plastic that spans the entire hatch, with the diodes and driver... No labor just the light assembly itself.

Hers has some condensation in it. Gonna let it go until it... Goes....