front brakes replaced

wilder11354

TDI
2014 SE passat 6dsg
2014 passat se, 67889 miles, inner pads worn down to last 1/16", got some Bosch pads and replaced. One inner pad came with wear sensor, yet my car has no plug for it, pulled sensor out of the pad installed. All's good, twice the mileage+ of what front pads them Jeep GC gets.

How long to rear pads need repacing?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
How much meat is left on the pad? That will determine how long they will last. My mk5 went 130K on rear pads before they needed to be replaced, fronts were fine.

Our '12 was still on stock pads front and rear when it went back to VW with 80K.

Other VW's (MK5 and Mk6) eat rear pads vs fronts so I'm kinda surprised you replaced fronts first.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Just replaced my fronts a month ago and had my rears fixed yesterday, was about gone at 150k, obviously lots of highway driving so mine number are quite normal.

I was getting a pretty nasty squeal.

My only other experience was mk4 and you never replaced the rears on those things...

Jb22

TDI
2015 Passat DSG
I came here searching for brake related issues. Today, the dealer quoted $485 to replace front brakes. Honestly, they are pulsing. Dealer states that although the front pads and rotors have plenty of meat, they need to be replaced. I'm baffled, this rig has only 31k highway miles on it. My JSW had 100k on it and didn't need brakes. Anyway, I'm stumped. I'm better at stereos and mileage than brakes. (My mpg is still in the same range as always, so I don't believe I have a hung caliper). What questions do I need to ask?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/au...jetta-passat-eos-gti-cc-zimmerman-1k0615301aa

or

https://www.idparts.com/front-brake-set-nms-p-4988.html

And if the meat on the pads is good, they should be able to be reused.

That or find a local place that will resurface the rotors, prob the same price as those new rotors.

Ours is the same, a decent shudder under highway braking been that way since 15K (28K now 80% highway). I mark it up to this being a NOS and the dealer not replacing the brakes as they "visually inspected fine". I'd rather not even go back to the dealer and waste my time with them and toss on new rotors and be done with it.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
I just did front brakes on our E-Golf. They get rusty due to lack of use with the regenerative braking. I got some new Bosch rotors from Amazon but had the original ones resurfaced for $20 each for the next time, much cheaper then buying new.

Our 15 Passat SEL, NOS May 2017 had rusty rotors. The dealer said they braked it hard to remove the rust as they were instructed by VWNA. At least they were honest about it. No issues so far but we only have about 16K on it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
that what I think they did with ours, repeated hard braking, hot rotors, parked before cooling rotors down, pad material bed into the rotors == "warped" rotors that has developed as that pad material continued to be deposited on the high spot.

How'd you find a shop to turn the rotors? you just call meineke, or VIP or some other chain, or was it a local place?

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I am past 160,000 miles and still have not changed my rear pads. changed my fronts at about 100,000 miles. Last spring when I removed my snows, the rears were about half. putting my snows back on this next week and will be checking them again.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
that what I think they did with ours, repeated hard braking, hot rotors, parked before cooling rotors down, pad material bed into the rotors == "warped" rotors that has developed as that pad material continued to be deposited on the high spot.

How'd you find a shop to turn the rotors? you just call meineke, or VIP or some other chain, or was it a local place?

The NAPA store in Littleton NH has a machine shop. I got them done there.

Jb22

TDI
2015 Passat DSG
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/au...jetta-passat-eos-gti-cc-zimmerman-1k0615301aa

or

https://www.idparts.com/front-brake-set-nms-p-4988.html

And if the meat on the pads is good, they should be able to be reused.

That or find a local place that will resurface the rotors, prob the same price as those new rotors.

Ours is the same, a decent shudder under highway braking been that way since 15K (28K now 80% highway). I mark it up to this being a NOS and the dealer not replacing the brakes as they "visually inspected fine". I'd rather not even go back to the dealer and waste my time with them and toss on new rotors and be done with it.
Thanks for this. I did ask my dealer as I also bough NOS last year, and he told me that the brakes were replaced prior to delivery. I believe him.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
at the very least they should have pulled the rotors off and removed the rust. I think the pads would be OK. Oh well ours are OK still at 18mo. I'll be giving them a good look at when I put on the winter tires soon.

When I brought the E Golf front rotors in the machinist said they were delaminating which was obvious but only on the inner face, the piston side. There was plenty of "meat" on them 22mm is the minimum and when they were resurface they ended up 25.5mm

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah this is Quirk were talking about, I was actually surprised they changed the fuel filter. The car was still kinda filthy when we signed for it Sunday, night last day of April, hand prints on the A and B pillars.

I should have known they were pushing the sale to meet the monthly quota and pushed the car through the "VW refurbishment" process.

I may try these, I remember hearing that they do require some maintenance, but I figure once a year when I change the snows for summers would be a good time to lube them up.

http://www.tyrolsport.com/braking/tyrolsport-brake-caliper-stiffening-kit-for-vw/audi/

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
We looked at Quirk too but couldn't get the deal/timeframe we wanted so ended up at Walker VW/Mazda in Barre VT. That's where we had bought our 13 SE that we sold back when we picked up our 15 SEL. They are the closest VW dealer to us as well. Service seems pretty good but our 15 was overfilled with motor oil when it was delivered and the battery died after about 5 months. They did throw in some perks for the inconvenience when they towed and replaced the battery.

BTW the brakes looked just fine when I put the winter tires on yesterday. Good thing as we had about 6" of very heavy wet snow today.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll be tossing the winter deeps on tonight or tomorrow, sounds like were getting around 4-6" Thursday to Friday.

Not sure if I'll toss the new rotors on, I'll see how I'm doing on time.