Would you could you in your Car? AMAZON BRAND OIL

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I suppose it was only a matter time. Back in July, Amazon quietly released an Amazonbasics line of synthetic motor oils including a 5W-40 suitable for both gas and heavy duty diesel engines. It comes with the newer CK4 approval.

I would think it would be fine in an ALH (yes?) but at $22.50 a gallon, its still cheaper to grab T6 when its on sale. I know nothing about the specs to make any kind of statement on use in newer vehicles, nor would I experiment.

The 5W30 full synthetics for $20/5qt is definitely a bargain. Edited to add (I would consider using this in my wife's Toyota).

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...1594&sr=1-1&keywords=amazon+basics+5w-40&th=1

Last edited:

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Don't Experiment

My .02 worth... Oil is not the place to cheap out. Get a good oil. T6 is widely used in both the ALH's and BEW's. There are many others that will work fine as well. Don't use a 5w-30 oil. That has been the topic of discussion many times.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That oil meets a lot of other industrial specs besides CK. It is a quality oil- I wouldn't hesitate to use it in an ALH or PD tdi. Better to judge oils by the specs they meet rather than how slick the labels/packaging looks.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
My .02 worth... Oil is not the place to cheap out. Get a good oil. T6 is widely used in both the ALH's and BEW's. There are many others that will work fine as well. Don't use a 5w-30 oil. That has been the topic of discussion many times.
I wouldn't think that the Amazon isn't cheaping out on the oil. They are simply able to remove enough middlemen markup to sell it cheaper.

I agree about the 5W-30. I should have mentioned that I would use that in our Toyota Sienna. Never in a diesel.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
I wouldn't think that the Amazon isn't cheaping out on the oil. They are simply able to remove enough middlemen markup to sell it cheaper.
I agree about the 5W-30. I should have mentioned that I would use that in our Toyota Sienna. Never in a diesel.

No Toyota in your signature. "Assumed" it was one of your diesels listed, and you did mention an ALH. I never shop the oil on price alone. :eek:

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
It’s warren, so essentially it’s the same as most parts stores house brand, including Wally World Supertech. I run the supertech 5w30 high mileage full synthetic in my suburban and haven’t had any issues.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
For starter the oil is rated at CK-4 .
It is actually made (blended) by Warren Distribution, not Warren Oil. The two companies are very confusing because they have such similar names and are both major suppliers of house branded motor oils. The same as Walmart Super Tech based on the info on the rear of the bottle.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I like my self me some amazon basics USB cable, I'm willing to toss out $7 bucks for a cheaper cable, or maybe some AA batteries, but that will be about it.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I buy DelVac 1 5w-40 at the local Fleet/Farm store for $20-25/gal (normally $25 but occasionally they have a "sale" on it) and Mobil/Exxon frequently has the $12/gal rebate. Net cost for superb DelVac full synthetic for $8-13/gallon. Can't beat that for known quality.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Pennzoil T6 HDEO is probably an adequate oil for a 10K mile oil change interval in a pre-CR TDI being that it is a Group III base oil and in Germany it would not be considered fully synthetic. Having said that there is nothing to say that an Amazon Basic 5W-40 HDEO synthetic oil from Warren company would not match or surpass the characteristics of the Pennzoil T6 engine oil.

If you are willing to pay more there are of course fully synthetic HDEO oils in with superior characteristics such as Mobil Delvac 1, Amsoil Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil and Schaeffer Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic to name a few.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There's really no need to get hung up on group iii, iv, v. For instance many or most oils that meet the VW 507 spec. contain a significant portion of group iii+ basestock. What really matters is how well the oil protects the engine. There are plenty of tdi UOA's from high quality group iii+ oils like Rotella T6 and Delo 5w-40 showing excellent lubrication even at extended 15k mile intervals.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I am in agreement with you turbobrick240.

I guess my main point is that we need to research 'new products' more thoroughly before coming to conclusions. For example if I look at the "AmazonBasics Full Synthetic Motor Oil - 5W-40 - Euro Formula" (link) ACEA A3/B4 it would be hard to call it 'cheap oil'. On the contrary it could potentially be a better value than Penzoil T6 or similar.

In fact this Amazon Basics oil distributed by the Warren Company could be the same as the one below with detailed disclosure of its properties something that not all oil companies do:

https://mag1.com/products/passenger-car-motor-oil/full-synthetic-european-motor-oil/mag-1-full-synthetic-european-5w-40-a3b4-motor-oil/