Just wondering how many of us are still happy Mk6 owners?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I didn't post this in the dieselgate sub-forum for a reason. I was just curious who else has still decided to keep their Mk6, or who recently acquired theirs as a CPO and joined this forum.

As for me, mine recently hit 225K, and the only thing I'm dealing with is a probably bad RCV on my AC compressor. I hit a dog (that survived, while traveling with my 2 K9s), and that took out everything from the bumper to the radiator fans. Upgraded to the Darkside developments intercooler and radiator, and I'm pretty happy (though I blew 3 different boost pipes at first in the first week). I also had to upgrade to a Neuspeed P-flow intake, because I have exceeded the usefulness of my stock intake (no more room physically).

My original plan was to get at least 450K out of this car, and I'm still sticking to it, though I'd be happy with more. I'm technically halfway there, 8 years after my purchase!

And on another note, everyone can disregard my signature - the household now has 14 diesels, and I get to take care of all of them! :)

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
Still happy with mine. 1/3 of my annual miles are a coast-to-coast trip, but mine is only up to 78K. Second set of tires, repeated Takata recalls, one flap recall, and that diesel thing, which repaid more than 25% of the sales price.

atsffan

TDI
2013 Golf United Grey 6M 2 doors, no waiting.
Still very happy. Avg 44 MPG on my commute through LA traffic. Road trips get me in the mid/upper 40s MPG. Nice ride, nice handling, great sound system.

No regrets on taking the money and holding on to the car

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Still love mine. Just hit 70k with no issues. Never had the fix done since I sold all of my stock exhaust from the turbo-back a year before dieselgate. Added both of 2micron's kits soon after that so I should be fine for the foreseeable future...at least for the big stuff.

Plus we just bought my wife a 2018 Tig 4mo so I really don't want to add another car payment on top of that while I'm in optometry school. My buyback price of ~$20k wouldn't buy a new car that I would want over the Golf so I would have to go used and at that point I might as well keep the used car that I have now and maintained perfectly vs a random used car with an unknown history/maintenance record.

That being said I would have totally taken the the fix +$6k if I hadn't modified my car before dieselgate. I also would have done the buyback if my car had been having a lot of issues or if I had over 200k on it......but it has been pretty much flawless and I want to at least hit moon mileage ~238k. :)

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I still love my 2010 Golf TDI! It's been a great car and lot's of fun to drive. I'm at 161K miles. With the new warranty and money in my pocket, I'm good until 2021! That will be more than 10-years in the car and I'll probably have more than 200K miles at that time. That's a good run in a car! At the end, I might try the delete thing and see how long I can go, but I might also give in at that time and get a new MK8 GTI! I hope the MK8 GTI is nice!

CincyJSW

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6 Speed Manual
I bought a 2013 sportwagen TDI with 37K miles and after putting a couple thousand miles on it, I can say I love it! Got it post fix for $13K - brown, 6spd manual, no sunroof, and light colored interior, just what I wanted! Just did 40K service and no metal flakes at all in fuel filter. I do use PS summer/winter with every fill up and biobor as well just to be sure I don’t get any gunk in the tank. About to take our first road trip, so excited to see how it handles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertsparker

TDI
2010 JSW 6m CandyWhite 17"
Bought my JSW new in 2010 and today just changed the oil at 135,000 miles. I got the fix done, took the cash, bought 5 changes worth of oil and fuel filters to do myself with the dealer cc had the timing belt & water pump changed last December, invested in some new wheels on 16” rims (205/55R16 = same diameter As before with softer ride and more pot hole resistant from tire rack to replace the 17” stock protos’s (Rims bent) and couldn’t be happier. It seems the fix has impacted my mileage to a new normal of 38 mpg when it was 42 before. Funny the car computer still reports 42! (I dont think it calculates the fuel burn from doing more frequent regens) With a new 60k engine warranty from the fix, my plan of buying new with still great drivability, i’ll hit my goal of having a 200,000 mile car! Still loving it! 2020 and beyond here we come!

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Glad to see there are still some of us getting enjoyment out of these machines. I bought mine in May from a dealer in Denver, making the switch from Volvo V50 T5. I spent 2 months researching different vehicles within 500 miles of me in SLC and at the end of the day it was a no brainer. I couldnt find another used vehicle with similar mileage and in a 6-spd that ALSO had a warranty with it. Its a 2011 6-spd, candy white exterior corn silk interior with 65K on the clock when I picked it up. Ive since put another 8K on it and its been trouble free and very enjoyable.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
We just bought a 2011 JSW with 63,000 miles on it. The previous owner put $1600 into the car at the dealership just amazing. None of it related to the engine.

Purrs and is a 6 speed manual.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
It seems the fix has impacted my mileage to a new normal of 38 mpg when it was 42 before. Funny the car computer still reports 42! (I dont think it calculates the fuel burn from doing more frequent regens)
Great theory and I see very similar numbers. I don't have the before/after for my car because I bought it post-fix, but we had a 2011 and it delivered roughly 42 MPG so similar experience. I bet that its the added regens that are decreasing the mileage.

I love my 2014 JSW, base model with the 6-speed. Great car. The only time I question buying it is when I wonder if I should have gotten a 2015 instead. I've never driven one and when I see a fancy one with the lighting package and a 6-speed I swoon a bit. Plus I am jealous of the mileage that they deliver. I stuck with the JSW vs. GSW largely because it was hard to find a 2015 with a manual trans, but also because I thought that in the long run it would be less expensive to keep on the road. Some people reported that the newer engines with urea injection were way over complicated. Who knows, but I do love my car and I'll love it more when I tune it someday.

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
2011 Golf, 2-door, 6 spd manual - 89k. Bought new. No fix. Best MPG came on a cross country trip out west then into Colorado then back onto the Southeast - 60 mpg, both hand figured and which was less than 1 mpg difference from the computer. Mostly it was scenic cruising and I know how to drive to get the best MPG. Now MPG is occasionally as high as 58 hiway when I'm gentle and cruising at say 60 mph - as I so do often. In town, in my hilly city I get 41-42.

Total repair history...Heating module went out very early and was replaced under warranty. Used the good will money + plus $600 out of pocket to replace clutch at 77k. Dealership had to replace the radiator twice after nicking it replacing clutch. Maybe just patched it the first time. Second time seems repaired. The air conditioning sometimes seems less than robust, at others times it just fine.
Looking for the nearest experienced VW mechanic to, at some point, to do the CP3 HPFP kit job. I'm in the Southeast. Might end up driving to Pennsylvania to have it done. I welcome suggestions.
But I love this car. As a 2-door getting in and out is so easy for my 6'5" frame. I love the torque. The fix seems too dicey to get done. I read about too many problems for the fix here. I won't be getting any more money from VW but I also won't have a limping car that I'll trade early and and up losing that amount of money on having to pay up for the next car and then suffer that much more depreciation, too. Potential lose/lose with the fix.
I'll eat the HPFP cost and keep on going.

I do have an engine light come on occasionally. Then it goes off for a while. The car is running perfectly ASAIK. Any ideas? I do have a decent dealership here and one independent VW shop I might start using at some point - though the independent shop had never heard of the CP3 HPFP replacement kit. Seemed unusual.

b757236

TDI
2011 JSW 2015 GSW SEL
I have been very happy with the JSW 6speed TDI. Fix applied. They replaced the DPF and ERG. The car looks brand new even with 278,113 (as of this am). Original clutch. I do all the maintenance. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off.
Couple of issues: AC compressor $700, HPFP replacement $2600.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I have been very happy with the JSW 6speed TDI. Fix applied. They replaced the DPF and ERG. The car looks brand new even with 278,113 (as of this am). Original clutch. I do all the maintenance. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off.
Couple of issues: AC compressor $700, HPFP replacement $2600.
CP3 for your HPFP replacement. Since you gotta take off the timing belt, might as well do your change early, and it'll be the same price, but trust me, it's a much better pump (have one on mine and don't ever regret it). As for the AC - google a company called Polar Bear Inc - RCV - these valves end up failing. Already replaced mine once. Got a second, hoping it fixes my no cool condition.

You're also at higher mileage than me. I'm almost at 226K, original DSG clutch pack as well. When it wears out, I'm going to do a 6MT swap.

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
When the new CP3 HPFP is installed is it necessary to continue with a fuel additive?

And since there are knowledgeable people reading here - at what mileage is the timing belt supposed to be changed? I'm thinking 120k.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
TB service interval is 120k miles / 193k km.

And I'm far from an expert, but I believe the lubricity additive has more to do with fuel quality than the pump. ULSD is not the best lubricant with all that sulphur removed.

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
I understand that the ULSD fuel exhibits low lubricity but thought the original Bosch high pressure fuel pump was of such poor design and quality that the failures were caused by these issues.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Bosch's CP4 requires a wear scar of 460. USA diesel is required to be under 520.

Optilube XPD has been used in all 5 of my CR VW Diesels with no fuel pump issues yet.....

k98shooter

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Bought my 2014 JSW since with 34K miles on the clock 2 years ago and nearing 150K. Believe or not, but it still has factory original brake pads (I do 90% highway but still...). The only problem I had was melted fuse box in the cabin compartment. Fantastic car, fits my needs perfectly. After having DSG, I don't want to go back to manual. I change fluids regularly and the only excess is a fuel filter, which I replace with every oil change. DPF starts to clog up and this is going to be my next big project.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
Like I've said before on this forum: when they pry my cold dead hands from the steering wheel.......48 k on clock, 72k /9years left on warranty

TDI
2013 Golf Highline Wagon
Just bought a 1 owner, fully dealer serviced, Canadian 2013 Golf Wagon Highline with 80,000 kms (50,000 miles). A VW diesel refurb/fix unit. White out, black leather in. Looks new inside and out. 48 mpg in stop & go Toronto commuter traffic. Great feel, great ride, great sound. I love this car. I'm going to drive it until it rusts away on me... Then I'll find a new one...

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
My wife and I both love ours, minimal issues for me, none for hers so far, and that's 155k and 55k respectively. assuming I don't change jobs in the next 5 years ill have a tick over 250000, and unless something crazy happens I expect it will be around.

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
I've had a 2011 4 door Golf 6spd for 4.5 years now and we just got my wife a 2014 JSW with a DSG yesterday. I freaking love TDIs and I hope that we will always have one or more around. I even swapped a BHW into our eurovan :D. My wife has turned into a total fuel mileage nerd with me as well and can't wait to start logging her own miles/mpg. She got exactly what she wanted, 1 owner, 33k miles, 7 year full extended CPO warranty for the price she wanted. I need to swap the CP3 into both cars at some point. But I think the big thing on hers will be a dieselgeek panzer plate first. And I'm planning on finding the 4mo stuff from Europe and making me a 4motion TDI/GTD once the van is finished.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I still have my 2010, JSW TDI and LOVE IT.... I had the mod done in March and got the money and 4K miles and 4 year warranty...
The car runs PERFECT and gets great millage, has low end torque (fun) and still get complements on how it looks...

I plan on keeping it for another 10 years or longer... I have added a second car, a Nissan Leaf for local committing but my TDI is still
the queen of my fleet. Took it on a 1600 mile vacation and it was great letting it run fast and free long distance.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I love my 2014 JSW, base model with the 6-speed. Great car. The only time I question buying it is when I wonder if I should have gotten a 2015 instead. I've never driven one and when I see a fancy one with the lighting package and a 6-speed I swoon a bit. Plus I am jealous of the mileage that they deliver. I stuck with the JSW vs. GSW largely because it was hard to find a 2015 with a manual trans, but also because I thought that in the long run it would be less expensive to keep on the road. Some people reported that the newer engines with urea injection were way over complicated. Who knows, but I do love my car and I'll love it more when I tune it someday.
My mom and my best friend (and his wife) have a 2015; mom has the GSW and the best friend has a Jetta sedan. They're nice, but I still prefer the Mk6, so I'm in the process of purchasing a 2013 CPO with a 6MT (even without a short shifter, it feels so good, and it's so weird having a 6th gear now). I like that there are more things for the Mk6 - CP3 (from darkside developments, anyways), Panzer plate, it's easier to work on (ever done an oil change on a Mk7).

I hate to say it, but I almost wish I were able to swap all my stuff from my 2010 to a 6MT car and trade it back in, but it still runs good at 225K, and I have a 6MT sitting in my driveway for that car anyways, waiting to be installed.
I plan on keeping it for another 10 years or longer... I have added a second car, a Nissan Leaf for local committing but my TDI is still
the queen of my fleet. Took it on a 1600 mile vacation and it was great letting it run fast and free long distance.
Knowing us, it'll probably be longer. I wanted to take mine on some trips recently, but I've been having HVAC troubles. I'm waiting on a new comfort control module, hoping that might fix my problem, but I had the Golf in the meantime (currently at 299K).

Last edited:

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Well,I have had a Mk5 and now a MK4 .

I drove a MK6 wagon extensively thinking that was what I wanted
I drove stick and DSG and ONLY when I drove the MK7 back to back did I see the huge difference.

The 6 drives like a boat and feels huge
the 7 is nimble like my 4 and is rock solid tank like in its construction
Stock 7 sound system is damn good and the 7's warranty is super nice

love how I can see the hood on the 7 and its a nice view as well
love the remote seat releases in the back for the 7

and of course the 5-7 mpg better efficiency of the 7 doesnt hurt. In the DSG 6 I was never ever able to get better than 39 driving the way I usually do.

Never thought I would say it but the 7 is a better car all around.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
To each their own. I have a Stage 2 tune on mom's car, otherwise, everything else is stock, and it flies. But changing oil on the Mk6 is a helluva lot easier, and I haven't yet seen a metal skid plate for the Mk7. For me, that's essential, given the amount of large s#it I've ran over that would've otherwise destroyed my oil pan with a plastic skid plate.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed