Road trip distance?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Unless I have my VW buyback money in the account, that would never be a problem for me! I have the debit card linked only to checking. That limits what someone can raid through the debit card.
No, you misunderstood what I meant. While CURRENT law only mentions travelers checks, currency and money orders, today a debit card has the same power of the travelers checks & money orders. So I was wondering if the government might add debit cards to the reporting requirement if the bank account your debit card is linked has over $10,000 in it. Of course, how could they know without requiring you to plug the debit card into a reader?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I understood, I was just trying to be funny and point out that the $10,000 reporting limit for most people would not be an issue anyway.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I understood, I was just trying to be funny and point out that the $10,000 reporting limit for most people would not be an issue anyway.
But it is a CUMULATIVE amount, so it would be possible. I would only report what I had that is only denominated in US dollars and not say anything about foreign currency.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The reason they care about cash is there is no electronic record of it. The concern is not that one might have access to large amounts of money, it is that one might bring large amounts of cash through the border in an attempt to avoid money laundering laws.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Took my LAST road trip in the Passat TDI over the holiday weekend. Detroit to Sturgeon Bay WI. Took the north route. 590 miles one way. Left with under a full tank. Arrived, drove around a bit the 3 days we were there. Filled up before we left, drove back and still had between a 1/4 and half tank (more to the half. Drove speeds up to 85 (speed is 75mph on I-75 in Michigan most of the way to the Mackinaw bridge. Figured out to be getting high 50's MPG. But next Thursday, it's all over. Paper work completed, car going to dealer. 27k return. Done with VW. :-(

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
Recent roadtrip from California to Massachusetts

I recently drove from the San Francisco Bay Area to Boston suburbs for a new job. I just had the emissions modification performed, and I averaged 40mpg (according to the MFD) going 80-90mph. I drove though Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Ontario, NY, and finally Mass. Total mileage was about 3400 miles. My car is lowered on Neuspeed Race and KONI Yellow, and there's about 1.2 - 1.4 degrees of negative camber in the front. However, for some reason these highway miles REALLY chewed up the inner tread, and going through Iowa I could really hear the tires making a lot of noise.

This was a great trip, and the JSW performed very nicely. There was some noticeable decrease in power going through the Rockies on I-70, but the car maintained speed by downshifting to 5th. The seat didn't fatigue me, and I wasn't that worn out at the end of each day. Very quiet on the roads.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
3000 miles

Well I just did my annual drive into Mexico which is 3,000 miles one way.
Only once did I go up into the 80 Mph + and that was on a toll road to bypass Austin and San Antonio in Texas which has a 85 Mph limit. The rest of the drive was usually about 70 Mph.

My average for the trip in real life measuring was around 40 Mpg, not like the previous to me poster who is dreaming of 80-90 Mph and 40 Mpg.:eek:

MojoVlad

TDI
04 Jetta
My wife and I took our two younger kids on a trip out west last June. We mostly camped a KOA campgrounds, we left central Indiana and stopped for the first night just outside of Kansas City. The next day we headed to Limon Colorado, Kansas is a long and boring drive. We camped in Limon for three nights, the first full day we went to Colorado Springs and the garden of the gods and Pikes peak. The second day we visited Denver, next morning we drove north thru Denver and the Rockies, that was some beautiful scenery. We ended that day in Green River Utah where we stayed for another three nights. The first day we went to Moab where we rented a Jeep and hit some trails, the second day we spent at Arches National Park, on a side note, my son had just finished up his fourth grade school year and in the US all fourth graders are entitled to a free national park pass, this was very convenient. The next day we headed to Hurricane Utah where we spent the afternoon hiking the narrows at Zion National Park. We just stayed there the one night, the next day we headed to Nevada and made a couple passes through the Vegas strip and then headed to the Hoover Dam, and finished of that day of driving in Williams Arizona, where we stayed for another three nights. We spent two days at the Grand Canyon. After that we headed to Albuquerque with stops in Winslow AZ so I could get my picture taken standing on the corner, my wife thought I was ridiculous until we got there and she saw all of the other people doing the same thing. We also stopped at the petrified Forrest. We stayed one night in Albuquerque and it was our last night camping, there weren’t any KOAs that were convenient for the trip home. We stayed a night in Amarillo, and stopped at the Cadillac ranch on the way. The next day we headed to Tulsa with a stop in Shamrock Texas where the gas station in the movie Cars is modeled after, it’s a really neat old building with Tesla charging stations around back. We stayed the night in Tulsa and the next morning we went and checked out the Center of the Universe and then the Blue Whale of Catoosa, we ended that day in Sikeston MO with a dinner at Lambert’s cafe. The next morning we headed home. About 4000 miles in sixteen days, all while living out of my wife’s 2004 Honda Pilot. It was a great adventure, hoping the get two weeks vacation during the summer again in the next few years and head north west.

tsspencer2887

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Returned from a trip from Grand Prairie TX to Port Canaveral FL (stops in Covington LA and Jacksonville FL) to Orlando FL and back home (stopped in Tallahassee FL). ~2700 miles, averaged 60 MPH (75% hwy) and got ~43.5 MPG.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
1414 miles round trip from my neighborhood to go visit my Mother in Arizona. I averaged 43 MPG both ways. Not quite what I had hoped, but the timing solenoid in my IP is iffy and wasn't holding the advance steady. Still not terrible for as fast as I was driving; 80-85 MPH plus most of the way.

RedHawk

TDI
2015 Jetta EA288
Tomorrow I am headed to my ranch in Colorado from West Texas. The trip is about 450 miles and I will drive my 2015 Jetta TDI. I will take real mpg measurements, and compare to the digital mpg display. The car has about 22k miles on it. Of course, I will post results here. Dave

RedHawk

TDI
2015 Jetta EA288
North, from Lubbock, Texas to Canon City, CO 468 Miles. Measured mpg was 43.09 actual, 49.3 mpg indicated on display.

South, from Canon City, CO to Lubbock, Texas, 510 Miles. Measured mpg 43.78 actual, 50.9 mpg indicated on display.

I run on the highways about 5-7 mph over speed limit. In Texas and Colorado that makes for about 81 mph highway speeds. About 1/2 time I had the A/C on.

Totally pleased with the MPG.....just not the inaccurate display.

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
That's a very inaccurate display. Mine is only off by something between 1 and 2 mpg with the display always higher than reality. I'm told it can be adjusted, but never cared enough to try it.

RedHawk

TDI
2015 Jetta EA288
I used to have a 2003 VW New Beetle TDI with the 5 speed manual. I would make the same trip and "the best" I could do was about 46 mpg, and that was with the manual. I have always been curious how the TDI does at hiway speeds of around 65-70 mph. I don't have the patience out in this part if TX, NM, and CO to try it........

ke6iyc

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
TX to ID

Currently on a road trip with my new (to me) TDI!

Just stopped for the first fill up (and lunch) after 444 miles, 42.2 MPG.

Will update at the next stop, but it will be a while! ?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
A year ago I was driving a brand new [54 miles [88km]on the odo when I picked it up] 2015 GSW with DSG. I bought it in Orlando, FL and drove it home to here in Anchorage. What a fun road trip! I stopped various places to visit friends and family, but it was a single shot of about 6000 miles [9700 km. New engine, of course, A/C in FL, GA, TN, KY, OH, MO, and KS. Snow in MT and Alberta. Frost in BC and Yukon. Various speeds. Overall, the calculated mileage improved, but that may have also been due to Canadian fuel. Total trip averaged 44.06 MPG [5.3 L/100 km] My general speed is the speed limit plus or minus 10%. I wasn't paying much attention to the MPG indicator on the dash, but I recall it going up to just under 50 a couple of times. With a year of use, I'm now getting high 40s and low 50s on road trips, up to 52 MPG [4.5L/100 km] in summer. No repairs so far. Good car.

ke6iyc

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
TX to ID

Currently on a road trip with my new (to me) TDI!
Just stopped for the first fill up (and lunch) after 444 miles, 42.2 MPG.
Will update at the next stop, but it will be a while! ?

Arrived in Monticello Utah, 530 miles from the last fill up, 41.6 MPG (hills and wind)

Staying the night, on the road first thing in the morning.

ke6iyc

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Arrived in Monticello Utah, 530 miles from the last fill up, 41.6 MPG (hills and wind)
Staying the night, on the road first thing in the morning.
Burley Idaho for fuel and lunch, 466 miles, 43.1 MPG.

Home (by way of Boise) 250’ish miles away, in time fo dinner.

It has been a blast of a trip!

LeColmes

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I have a friend that was looking to buy a jeep. We found one about 450kms away (I'm in Canada). So we went there to get it, and I came back on the same tank of gas with about a 1/4 tank left to last me the next day or so when we got back. My buddy was skeptical of the fuel economy in my TDI at first, but he's now a believer.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
Left last week from Saskatoon, SK, Canada for a visit to my aunt in West Sacramento, CA.

One way through Havre, MT; Reno, NV in 2 days; 14h of driving first day followed with an 11hr drive day. 1594 miles one way with about a 27mpg for this trip. Started with a full tank, and filled only twice during the trip - arrived just as the low fuel light went ding!

Once the visit is over - planning to head home by way of Portland, OR and up through Spokane, WA then past my one of my favorite ski spots (Fernie, BC) about 1709miles.

edit: doing this trip with my new TDI (the Touareg) - so comfy for my elderly parents.... such a pleasure to drive too!

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow! You've just missed the Delta Fire that closed Interstate 5 fro several days. Here is what is happening in that area:

NORTHBOUND TRAFFIC IS REDUCED TO 1 LANE FROM 3.2 MI NORTH OF LAKEHEAD /AT VOLLMERS RD/ TO 10.3 MI SOUTH OF CASTELLA /AT GIBSON RD/ (SHASTA CO) - DUE TO EMERGENCY REPAIRS

NORTHBOUND TRAFFIC IS REDUCED TO 1 LANE FROM 2.5 MI NORTH OF DUNSMUIR TO 0.4 MI NORTH OF MT SHASTA (SISKIYOU CO) FROM 0001 HRS TO 1800 HRS 7 DAYS A WEEK THRU 11/15/18 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
Wow! You've just missed the Delta Fire that closed Interstate 5 fro several days. Here is what is happening in that area:

NORTHBOUND TRAFFIC IS REDUCED TO 1 LANE FROM 3.2 MI NORTH OF LAKEHEAD /AT VOLLMERS RD/ TO 10.3 MI SOUTH OF CASTELLA /AT GIBSON RD/ (SHASTA CO) - DUE TO EMERGENCY REPAIRS

NORTHBOUND TRAFFIC IS REDUCED TO 1 LANE FROM 2.5 MI NORTH OF DUNSMUIR TO 0.4 MI NORTH OF MT SHASTA (SISKIYOU CO) FROM 0001 HRS TO 1800 HRS 7 DAYS A WEEK THRU 11/15/18 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION
Thanks for the update - I guess I'll be saving this road trip for another date... Heading back home somewhat along my original route down.

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
A little road trip

Just got back for a trip.
Had a wedding in the Phoenix AZ area to attend.
Left the Greenville area of South Carolina.
Picked up old US 66 in Oklahoma to play tourist for the wife.
Found some nice back roads to follow

Turned around in Barstow, CA.
Did the wedding and returned home.
Gone 13 days, driving on 10 on them
4950 miles totals

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
770 miles on 17.3 gallons. Same station, same pump, first click. Added 3 gallons in Pismo Beach just in case.............

Yes, I miss theTDI torque, space and high fuel numbers, but this 1.4 minuscule motor has surprised this sailor big time (with highway MPG).

Seasons best,

ez

ArminTDI

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon
Last weekend I drove from Knoxville TN to Salt Lake City Utah. It was around 1800 miles and travel time was 12 hours on Saturday December 16 to get to Kansas City, 10 hours on Sunday December 17 to get to Cheyenne Wyoming, and 6 hours to get to Salt Lake City Utah. I loaded down my 2013 VW Sportwagen with about 1000 lbs of clothes, guns, ammo, cooking supplies, 4 bikes, 2 pairs of skis, and a bunch of outdoor gear. My fuel mileage without all the weight and the bikes was around 40 mpg. I averaged about 25 mpg on the trip. I was getting about 300-330 miles per tank. The spread of fill stations off if I-80 driving through Nebraska and Wyoming was about 120 to 150 miles so I had to do some timing for the fuel stops. The best price for diesel was about 30 miles outside Kansas City at 2.73 per gallon. The worst was in Wyoming at 3.37 per gallon. I was a bit lucky on the 3.37 because right after I filled up in Wyoming all of the other price per gallon of diesel was 3.45 +. Overall on diesel I spent $243.20 to get 1800 miles with everything I wanted to start a new life in Salt Lake City.