www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 10th, 2018, 18:41   #7036
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeless View Post
Not been here for a while.

Had the water pump replaced and they mentioned the radiator-- not holding pressure!
Well, they were right, been filling up with the fluid about every other day!

Be careful with the lower rad hose connection at the radiator. That plastic coupler is NLA and to my knowledge no one makes it in the aftermarket.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 20:23   #7037
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
As a side note I'm curious what others use to repair or reattach the plastic door liners? I used two sided adhesive tape previously but I was not excited about the results. I would go back and rework all of them if there was a good means for attaching the plastic liners.

A3s have plastic vapor barriers? I never pulled the door panels from the Rotbox, so I just assumed they were formed foam, like the B4s. Anyhow, I just use more butyl, like the factory did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
I remember the leaks being very frustrating to deal with. In the end I just coated over the seam from front to rear.
Youre telling me.... Id rather not coat everything, if its not needed. I only coated what was cracked and that was incredibly minimal.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 22:29   #7038
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
A3s have plastic vapor barriers? I never pulled the door panels from the Rotbox, so I just assumed they were formed foam, like the B4s. Anyhow, I just use more butyl, like the factory did.
Don't recall on the Mk3 but I was referring to the B3, which has plastic sheeting. I would have replaced with foam except I couldn't find good covers in the JY, they all seemed to have been brutalized at some point, probably to repair faulty window regulators / motors.

Quote:
You’re telling me.... I’d rather not coat everything, if it’s not needed. I only coated what was cracked and that was incredibly minimal.

-Todd
I only coated about a 1/2" wide or less path down the entire length of the roof in the trim channel. On the B3 the sealer was dried out and cracked enough I just wanted to fill the cracks and get it stopped. It also wasn't a lot of sealer either.

Steve

Old September 11th, 2018, 16:13   #7039
powerstrokeless
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a POWERSTROKE!!

For some reason, the clear coat became undone on the hood! about 2' sq. ft. Don't know if it had anything to do with the rains....
Old September 11th, 2018, 18:27   #7040
ToddA1
Veteran Member

The CC was probably compromised, somewhere. Once that happens, it starts lifting. The rain probably got under it and helped it along.

Reassembled the wagon, other than the roof rails and associated molding. Drove it around the block and I lost the steering column popping, but gained a minor exhaust leak...

-Todd
Old September 12th, 2018, 13:49   #7041
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Quote:
The CC was probably compromised, somewhere. Once that happens, it starts lifting. The rain probably got under it and helped it along.

Reassembled the wagon, other than the roof rails and associated molding. Drove it around the block and I lost the steering column popping, but gained a minor exhaust leak...

-Todd
Ahhhh, the joys of owning a B4,LOL.....
97 Passat TDI-420,688 miles,totalled by 86yr.old lady-gone,but not forgotten-'15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen w/DSG, 27k miles....'16 Kubota BX1870 MMM/FEL, 160hrs!And now an '03 Jetta TDI 5spd w/ 426k,RC2,Sprint 520's,Dieselgeek short shifter and oil bypass, and a few other goodies....
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2018, 16:49   #7042
borntofli

recharged my ac, blew cold for 20 minutes then warm.... Leak somewhere... worry bout that next summer....

Pulled up to stop sign today and car died.. Havnt had that happen to me before, (only on first tank of gas in it)..I normally shift to N well before stopping.. Have to plug in vag to see if something is up..... Great little car.....
borntofli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2018, 18:44   #7043
ToddA1
Veteran Member

I seriously hope there isn’t “gas” in it...

-Todd
Old September 13th, 2018, 20:06   #7044
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeless View Post
For some reason, the clear coat became undone on the hood! about 2' sq. ft. Don't know if it had anything to do with the rains....
I doubt it. Mine came off in big sheets just washing it one winter.

Abacus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 06:14   #7045
thechoochlyman

TDI(s): 97 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47.5 daily, 51.4 highway

New rotors, bearings, and brake pads on the rear. Now it actually gets some friction on the back, and is much quieter.

1997 Passat 5 speed - No longer bi-tone
2.5" Straight-pipe exhaust CCV/EGR Deleted Malone Stage 3, 2.0 IQ Autometer Gauges Billet Stuff
Billet Coolant Flanges - Idler Pulleys - CCV plates - Window Guide Clips
thechoochlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 06:22   #7046
powerstrokeless
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a POWERSTROKE!!
Default Wow

[QUOTE=Abacus;5440503]I doubt it. Mine came off in big sheets just washing it one winter.

Unbelievable!

One of these days, it would be nice to get my wagon repainted. But, I don't know if a shop will take on a rusted up car + one with the cc coming off.
Old September 15th, 2018, 00:05   #7047
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

I painted the needles on my B4 Chubbs cluster flat orange, like I had intended to do for some time now.

Some Mk3 clusters (silver faced type) have the orange needles but the black or dark grey clusters do not. I always wanted orange needles for the B3V conversion.

Steve

Old September 15th, 2018, 06:59   #7048
ToddA1
Veteran Member

It’s a good look! Rotbox has orange needles, but only because I sent Derek a spare silver faced cluster for parts, and asked that they got transferred.

Ordered my heated seat kit the other day...

-Todd
Old September 16th, 2018, 14:51   #7049
dsldan

Default ahhhh intermediate shaft pulley

My son called me at 2 am said the car went bang and quit working. Towed him back and take a peak under the timing belt cover. The bolt on the intermediate shaft walked out causing the pulley to come off the shaft. timing belt went slack and caused it to come out of time. Anyone out there have and extra intermediate shaft pulley in their hoard do they? The pulley is all wallowed out and is no good.
dsldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 15:46   #7050
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

If the timing belt went slacked, with this being an interference engine, you’re looking at rebuilding the engine. Especially since your son said there was a bang/loud noise. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.