www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 20th, 2018, 16:45   #1
Turbospool
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57.0 mpg running average on the Jetta, and 41 mpg on the Passat
Default Touareg or BMW X5 diesel in the 2010 year range????

Ok.. so I’m shopping for a new to me SUV to pull my 21 ft camper and just go tripping with my wife in a bit of comfort. I am prepared with about 15 grand.

Let me introduce myself a bit and then please advise me.

I have owned a 2001 tdi jetta for about 10 years, presently at 280k and running great . I also own a 2003 jetta (for the wife) , 270k running great and would GREAT,like to sell to buy the above upgrade. ( I also own a 1994 12 valve cummins 130 k and running wonderful) I am a diesel nut, I have all of them tuned....... and love this forum , trust your advise, and that is why I bring up the BMW vs Touareg question.

Ok .... please advise me!!!
Old August 20th, 2018, 19:37   #2
Yeti35
Veteran Member

I'm a little biased, I would get a '10 and one with air suspension if you can find it. I am sure the Treg has a higher two rating than the BMW. If you find one with air you won't need a weight distribution hitch since it will auto level the rear of the car.
Old August 20th, 2018, 19:48   #3
BroncoAZ
Veteran Member

We’re all probably biased here towards the Touareg. That being said, I would recommend a 2011 Touareg as they had the 8 speed automatic trans instead of the 6 speed. I never owned a 2010, but my 2011 was great for towing in the mountains because of the close gearing. If I noticed it slowing or the RPM were too low I could manually shift from 7th gear to 6th or 5th depending on the grade without sending the RPM way up. I routinely towed 6500# of boat behind mine without issue on flat lands, and some enclosed trailers up to 7000# in the mountains. I never used a weight distribution hitch on the Touareg, but if I were towing something heavy in the tongue I think it would be good. I just purchased a 2015 Touareg this weekend, I missed the 2011 after turning it in.

As for the air suspension eliminating the need for a weight distribution hitch, there is much more to it than just leveling the rear. The WD hitch pushes some of the weight onto the front tires making the vehicle ride and track better. I don’t think I’d want to set up a WD hitch too aggressively on the Touareg, but having one to distribute the load would be beneficial.

Former TDI’s: 2009 Jetta TDI - traded 09/2013, 2011 Touareg TDI - Bought back 2/26/2018
My Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins
Wheelin Rig: 1987 Ford Bronco http://www.supermotors.net/registry/13
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 06:56   #4
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

A neighbor of mine bought a used X5 with the proceeds of his Jetta buyback. It has turned out to be an unholy pain the a$$ for him. Among its other quirks is a tendency not to start due to a weird switch malfunction.

2011 Touareg TDI 74K Miles (sold back to VW, May, 2018)
2015 Golf TDI 22K Miles (son’s)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 07:23   #5
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Its going to be pretty tough to find a 2010 Touareg isn't it? The buybacks were pretty lucrative and a fix wasn't offered when they were announced so I think most of the 2010's probably got bought back.

But 15 grand gets you close to a newer highish mileage Treg anyway. Someone just offered a 2014 with 93k miles on it for $16.9k that would have been a great vehicle based on your needs.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 08:24   #6
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

I'll echo what BroncoAZ said, Airlift does not replace the need for a weight distribution hitch. I've been reading a lot about this on the Ram1500diesel.com website since purchasing my ecodiesel. They all push for weight distribution on any trailer over 5000 pounds. Airlift helps settle the ride after applying the torsion bars.
Old August 21st, 2018, 18:57   #7
Yeti35
Veteran Member

Has been said many times if you have air suspension you don't want to use a WD hitch at all. Many threads about it on the other Touareg forum. Many guys there have done just that, air and no WD.
Old August 30th, 2018, 16:38   #8
Turbospool
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57.0 mpg running average on the Jetta, and 41 mpg on the Passat

Thanks for all the reply’s ... I will be looking for a 2011 instead and probably stick to VW .
Old September 2nd, 2018, 15:05   #9
mannytranny
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta

I'd steer clear of anything BMW.
mannytranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2018, 16:37   #10
truman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannytranny View Post
I'd steer clear of anything BMW.
What's your reasoning?
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2018, 18:41   #11
kooyajerms
grocery getter

I love our x5. Maintenance and issues with the vehicles aside , it’s a much better vehicle than the Touareg. Both of those vehicles have the possibility for gremlins or emissions parts issues. Both can have fuel related issues with those silly HPFP’s but I hear of less of those issues on the M57.

Comfort in the cabin is impressive, sport/comfort seats are definitely more comfortable. The NAVI/MMI System is much more intuitive in BMW’s system vs VW/AUDI. Steering /handling and driver feel is more pleasant than driving the Touareg or a Q7. Engine on the M57 has more to it than the V6.
kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 13:20   #12
vwztips
Veteran Member

I was looking at both back in May. I am heavily biased to the Touareg but kept an open mind.

I liked the way the Treg rode and handled better. The car was for my wife, and I got the feeling she liked the X5 better and she liked the color combo. One of the things that turned her off in the Treg was the panoramic sunroof which was really hot and the screen does not do much to help. The X5 panoramic sunroof was not near as hot.

It boiled down to 2 things.
1. The X5 35d is in general cheaper than an equivalent Treg
2. The PO had already dispatched with certain troublesome parts and had it tuned.

Also, I describe the X5 as a hammer as it is very brutish with the tuned torque. The Treg is smoother.

In the end we bought the 2011 X5 35d and saved several thousand dollars which I can use to pay for any issues that may come up.

On a side note, the software for the BMW is awful and not near as intuitive as VagCom.

Bottom line for me is the wife is happy.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote