www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old August 29th, 2012, 17:00   #16
SFHGolfTDI
Veteran Member

Tap, can you share how and where you go about getting your wvo? I've always been interested in homebrew and in the biopro, but that seems like the most difficult part.
Front end swap (Jolf), GTI tails, heated GTI leathers, GLI steering wheel, aluminum trim, center console w/cupholders, homelink visor, SGII, front/rear fogs, remote windows, 35% ceramic tint, Q5/Touareg rear wiper, roof rack, vented, PD engine cover mounts, Fumoto F106SW, panzer skid, Bilstein HDs, mudflaps, Conti PureContacts, custom 2" class II hitch. Kerma tuning. VCDS available (K-II USB).
SFHGolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 17:46   #17
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFHGolfTDI View Post
Tap, can you share how and where you go about getting your wvo? I've always been interested in homebrew and in the biopro, but that seems like the most difficult part.
WVO is the hardest thing to get now. Many cities are requiring it to be recycled by companies and not allowing people to just take it.

Grow your own feedstock? I have 5 acres so I could grow Mustard Seed or one of the other easy to extract oil plants and thought about that. It would just be some watering and nature does the rest.

I know it sounds insane, hence why I haven't gotten around to even trying a test crop.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 18:15   #18
Tap2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFHGolfTDI View Post
Sourcing oil is definitely where the work is involved. I have cultivated a sizeable volume of restaurants over the two years I have been doing this. I literally went door to door speaking with restaurant owners and kitchen managers. You have to have a sales mentality since you must sell them on why YOU should be their new renderer, as most likely they are already using someone else.

The keys are:
  • price - now restaurants expect to be paid for their oil instead of paying to have it hauled away
  • cleanliness - the last thing they want is some unprofessional slob making a mess that they can get fined for by the health dept if you spill
  • consistency - when they need their drum emptied they have to know you will be there on schedule. Without this they have no place to dump their oil

If you can put your sales cap on and speak intelligently to the owners on these topics you will have a good shot. Here in California we have more stringent requirements since they have categorized WVO as "IKG" (inedible kitchen grease) and that requires a permit/registration to haul.

Last edited by Tap2112; August 29th, 2012 at 18:20.
Tap2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 18:18   #19
Tap2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
Grow your own feedstock? I have 5 acres so I could grow Mustard Seed or one of the other easy to extract oil plants and thought about that. It would just be some watering and nature does the rest.

I know it sounds insane, hence why I haven't gotten around to even trying a test crop.
Not as insane as you might think if you have the time and property to do it. Interesting that you mention mustard seed...I just picked up 825 gallons of virgin mustard seed oil this past January. Never processed that oil before but it makes a great winter fuel since it has a much lower gel point than soy or canola oil...allowing one to run the fuel in the middle of winter without any concerns even below freezing.
Old August 29th, 2012, 18:56   #20
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap2112 View Post
Not as insane as you might think if you have the time and property to do it. Interesting that you mention mustard seed...I just picked up 825 gallons of virgin mustard seed oil this past January. Never processed that oil before but it makes a great winter fuel since it has a much lower gel point than soy or canola oil...allowing one to run the fuel in the middle of winter without any concerns even below freezing.
Yep, I was thinking about that as well as it's yield per acre is high.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:22   #21
Tap2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
Yep, I was thinking about that as well as it's yield per acre is high.
That has the ringing bells of a business opportunity...
Old August 23rd, 2018, 22:08   #22
WestsideBio

TDI(s): vw

If you are interested in a BioPro 190 that works great, I am selling one for $4,000.
WestsideBio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 19:06   #23
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

This thread is from 2012.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2018, 12:21   #24
WestsideBio

TDI(s): vw

Yeah, I was not interested in selling my BioPro 190 in 2012 - or thru 2017, for that matter.
WestsideBio is offline   Reply With Quote