2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2 - First Impressions

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Did your car have <40,000 miles on it at the Phase 2 fix time? Just want to get an idea if you had the complete Phase 2 fix or just part A of it.

What I don't understand is, if otherwise identical 2015 TDI's go in for the fix, in the same general condition, and if the fix is exactly the same between both vehicles, how is it they can come out differently (some say the car is better, some say it is a lot worse)?

Seems to me there is some risk of being very disappointed after the Phase 2 fix is applied, and VW doesn't seem to want to address those that are impacted negatively.

Some who have had tunes done say there is a period of time of adjustment, and one shouldn't judge a tune until a fair number of miles are put on and the self-adjustments are closer to be near final state. That could be a factor, but if it is, it should be consistent for all who have Phase 2 done (feels bad to start, but gradually improves to a point that should be at least equal to pre-Phase 2). From a science standpoint, I don't understand how things can be so different on Gen 3 2.0L TDI's like this.

Notch 8

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagon
Did your car have <40,000 miles on it at the Phase 2 fix time? Just want to get an idea if you had the complete Phase 2 fix or just part A of it.

What I don't understand is, if otherwise identical 2015 TDI's go in for the fix, in the same general condition, and if the fix is exactly the same between both vehicles, how is it they can come out differently (some say the car is better, some say it is a lot worse)?

Seems to me there is some risk of being very disappointed after the Phase 2 fix is applied, and VW doesn't seem to want to address those that are impacted negatively.

Some who have had tunes done say there is a period of time of adjustment, and one shouldn't judge a tune until a fair number of miles are put on and the self-adjustments are closer to be near final state. That could be a factor, but if it is, it should be consistent for all who have Phase 2 done (feels bad to start, but gradually improves to a point that should be at least equal to pre-Phase 2). From a science standpoint, I don't understand how things can be so different on Gen 3 2.0L TDI's like this.

My car had 28K when Phase 2 was done and to the best of my knowledge there is nothing left to do.

I don't know what the story is either. Nothing seems to make sense unless they have some out of spec replacement parts that aren't allowing some cars to breathe properly, like partially clogged particulant filters or something.

I agree about the adjustment period but I've been driving the car under all sorts of conditions and the mid-range still isn't there and at this point I don't expect it to return. The service manager told me I can either get used to it or trade the car. Keep in mind that he's had his own experience with a Phase 2 car.

The rub is that VOA's own website says that there should be "no impact on overall vehicle drivability" after phase 2 but in my case there definitely is.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
My car had 28K when Phase 2 was done and to the best of my knowledge there is nothing left to do.

I don't know what the story is either. Nothing seems to make sense unless they have some out of spec replacement parts that aren't allowing some cars to breathe properly, like partially clogged particulant filters or something.

I agree about the adjustment period but I've been driving the car under all sorts of conditions and the mid-range still isn't there and at this point I don't expect it to return. The service manager told me I can either get used to it or trade the car. Keep in mind that he's had his own experience with a Phase 2 car.

The rub is that VOA's own website says that there should be "no impact on overall vehicle drivability" after phase 2 but in my case there definitely is.
Please check your paperwork you received after the Phase 2 fix. It will tell you in great detail what they actually did. The stickers applied to the underside of the hood, on the driver side, will also tell you what they did. Let us know that that tells you.

Does anyone know with certainty that a 2015 Gen 3 EA288 TDI cannot be flashed incorrectly with a Gen 1 or Gen 2 EA189 flash, and cause these unique problems?

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Thanks for the info.

It seems the GSW DSGs seem to have the most number of complaints.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info.

It seems the GSW DSGs seem to have the most number of complaints.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
You know, I think you have a great observation there. I looked over this thread, and only one Passat was brought up with negative post-Phase 2 impressions. The rest were Jettas/Golfs. Not sure how the Beetle is doing, or the Audi's.

Given that, I feel a little better about my chances with my Passat coming up next week with Phase 2 being done.

I would be uneasy if I had a Jetta or Golf though. I think even some of these with manuals were not doing well post-Phase 2. Still wonder what is different (something has to be).

Notch 8

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagon
Please check your paperwork you received after the Phase 2 fix. It will tell you in great detail what they actually did. The stickers applied to the underside of the hood, on the driver side, will also tell you what they did. Let us know that that tells you.

Does anyone know with certainty that a 2015 Gen 3 EA288 TDI cannot be flashed incorrectly with a Gen 1 or Gen 2 EA189 flash, and cause these unique problems?

I have the repair order in front of me and there's a whole list of parts replaced including a conversion kit, pipe, and TDI "emissions mods". Going in I was told there would be no software changes or updates, only upgraded hardware. Knowing what I know now there is no way I would have had the car modified despite the extended warranty.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
I have the repair order in front of me and there's a whole list of parts replaced including a conversion kit, pipe, and TDI "emissions mods". Going in I was told there would be no software changes or updates, only upgraded hardware. Knowing what I know now there is no way I would have had the car modified despite the extended warranty.
Would you be able to please post the list of parts replaced? Or anyone else for stage 2?

Notch 8

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagon
Would you be able to please post the list of parts replaced? Or anyone else for stage 2?

Here's what the repair order called out:
Installed 1K0298101D :CONV. KIT Qty: 1
Installed 5Q0253301H :pIPE Qty: 1
Installed CAMPTDI2016_3C :EMISS MOD Qty: 1
Installed:03L010005J :TDI EMISS QTY: 1
Sorry I can't be more specific. Several times I asked what the CONV KIT consisted of and they wouldn't tell me. Maybe someone else knows. Hope this helps you.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's what the repair order called out:
Installed 1K0298101D :CONV. KIT Qty: 1
Installed 5Q0253301H :pIPE Qty: 1
Installed CAMPTDI2016_3C :EMISS MOD Qty: 1
Installed:03L010005J :TDI EMISS QTY: 1
Sorry I can't be more specific. Several times I asked what the CONV KIT consisted of and they wouldn't tell me. Maybe someone else knows. Hope this helps you.
Your paperwork will tell you if you had only Phase 2 A or both Phase 2 A & B emissions modifications. Your sticker under the hood will tell you this also. See examples below for a having both Phase 2 A & B done together:

Last edited:

Notch 8

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagon
Your paperwork will tell you if you had only Phase 2 A or both Phase 2 A & B emissions modifications. Your sticker under the hood will tell you this also. See examples below for a having both Phase 2 A & B done together:

My '15 TDI wagon had Phase 1 done before I purchased the car as a VW CPO vehicle. Phase 2 was just completed with basically the same parts as you've shown. My car has had both phases completed and runs like crap to the point where I no longer drive it. It's sitting in a 10'X20' storage unit gathering dust while I continue to work with VOA to do something, anything, to improve the situation. Next time I go over to storage I'll look to see if there's a sticker under the hood but that won't help it run like it used to. Thanks for posting.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
My '15 TDI wagon had Phase 1 done before I purchased the car as a VW CPO vehicle. Phase 2 was just completed with basically the same parts as you've shown. My car has had both phases completed and runs like crap to the point where I no longer drive it. It's sitting in a 10'X20' storage unit gathering dust while I continue to work with VOA to do something, anything, to improve the situation. Next time I go over to storage I'll look to see if there's a sticker under the hood but that won't help it run like it used to. Thanks for posting.
How many miles on the Sportwagen when you have Phase 2 done? Manual or DSG trans?

Notch 8

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagon
How many miles on the Sportwagen when you have Phase 2 done? Manual or DSG trans?

28117 miles In - 28118 miles Out. Obviously they didn't actually drive it after the work but they say it runs perfect. So did the regional rep who has never seen or driven the car. DSG which is a shadow of its former self after the change.

bitslop

TDI
2015 GSW TDI S Manual
28117 miles In - 28118 miles Out. Obviously they didn't actually drive it after the work but they say it runs perfect. So did the regional rep who has never seen or driven the car. DSG which is a shadow of its former self after the change.
The other Phase 2 complaints I read about are all DSG as well. Has anyone had the Phase 2 fix completed on a manual, and noticed any negative affects similar to what others with the DSG have complained about (i.e. lack of low-end torque / driveability)?

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
From what I previously understood, any Gen 3 w/DSG with <40,000 miles at the time of Phase 2 that was previously a VW buyback and repurchased with Phase 1 provided prior to resale only gets kit A (NOx sensor & associated pipe section, wiring cable, ECU & DSG flash). The other hardware in kit B isn't put on until the car is over 70,000 miles. Yet several in this forum who have Jettas/Golfs are saying they've had very bad post-Phase 2 operation have had both kits installed in this situation. I wonder if the ECU reflash is different when all the hardware is installed vs. just kit A (i.e.; I wonder if the tech doing the reflash is reflashing for kit A install only, but the mechanics are accidentally installing kits A & B, and this situation is causing the poor results after the Phase 2 fix). Something to think about.

Notch 8

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagon
From what I previously understood, any Gen 3 w/DSG with <40,000 miles at the time of Phase 2 that was previously a VW buyback and repurchased with Phase 1 provided prior to resale only gets kit A (NOx sensor & associated pipe section, wiring cable, ECU & DSG flash). The other hardware in kit B isn't put on until the car is over 70,000 miles. Yet several in this forum who have Jettas/Golfs are saying they've had very bad post-Phase 2 operation have had both kits installed in this situation. I wonder if the ECU reflash is different when all the hardware is installed vs. just kit A (i.e.; I wonder if the tech doing the reflash is reflashing for kit A install only, but the mechanics are accidentally installing kits A & B, and this situation is causing the poor results after the Phase 2 fix). Something to think about.

I don't know but the whole thing seems so secretive like there's something to hide. I'd love to have it all spelled out in common English so that everyone knows what the changes entail and what to expect at each phase. To be honest, what they've published so far, in my case at least, has been a total bunch of lies. At this point I want before and after stats. Horsepower and torque before and after at the entire RPM range and also what was done to change the DSG mapping. Us loyal customers deserve this. I'm ready to offer my car for independent testing if someone will take me up on it.

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
From the VW phase 2 info:
"If you already received the Phase 1 modification, the Phase 2 modification is not expected to have any further impact on reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine sound,vehicle performance or drivability"

Perhaps the key wording here is "is not expected" vs "will not". This perhaps gives VW a way out when the phase 2 goes badly, and they refuse to do anything about it. The problem is the whole issue of pre and post fix performance is very subjective. Even if 100 of us drive Notch 8's GSW and agree the post fix performance sucks, VW will just say there is nothing they can do. I'm no expert on dyno testing, but perhaps that would be the only objective way of getting objective results. Run the dyno pre-fix, then have the phase 2 mod completed, and run the dyno test again. If the post fix numbers suck, then at least you would have something objective to show VW. There are probably still to many dyno variables, and post-fix DSG "training" issues at play to hold VW accountable when things go bad. I have been holding off getting the phase 2 fix done on my GSW with DSG (purchased with phase 1 already applied).
While most have no issues with phase 2, some are having huge problems and also seem to have no recourse with VW when the do. A post fix tune is an option, but then you void your extended warranty.

Last edited:

Notch 8

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagon
From the VW phase 2 info:
"If you already received the Phase 1 modification, the Phase 2 modification is not expected to have any further impact on reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine sound,vehicle performance or drivability"

Perhaps the key wording here is "is not expected" vs "will not". This perhaps gives VW a way out when the phase 2 goes badly, and they refuse to do anything about it. The problem is the whole issue of pre and post fix performance is very subjective. Even if 100 of us drive Notch 8's GSW and agree the post fix performance sucks, VW will just say there is nothing they can do. I'm no expert on dyno testing, but perhaps that would be the only objective way of getting objective results. Run the dyno pre-fix, then have the phase 2 mod completed, and run the dyno test again. If the post fix numbers suck, then at least you would have something objective to show VW. There are probably still to many dyno variables, and post-fix DSG "training" issues at play to hold VW accountable when things go bad. I have been holding off getting the phase 2 fix done on my GSW with DSG (purchased with phase 1 already applied).
While most have no issues with phase 2, some are having huge problems and also seem to have no recourse with VW when the do. A post fix tune is an option, but then you void your extended warranty.

Chiroman, you have hit the nail right on the head. They have left themselves an out with the wording but any reasonable person would expect to receive their vehicle back running and driving as it did before Phase 2 work. I've been trying to find a chassis dyno within a days driving distance but so far I haven't been able to find one. The problem is that even if I do find one I won't have a baseline with which to make a comparison between before and after. This whole thing really stinks and VW absolutely couldn't care less. As far as a post fix tune goes, that's what my dealership service manager suggested! Forget the fact that my warranty would fly right out the window. His suggestions were that I could trade the car, live with it the way it is or do a tune. They screw the car up then suggest that I trade it in. Great way for them to generate business.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
Post Fix Thoughts

I agree that the Phase 1 fix turn my 2015 GSW into a sloth, however Phase 2 was the opposite. Plenty of power and my MPG is consistently over 50 on the highway. This last weeks road trip got me over 600 miles on a tank and 57.4 mpg according to the OBC. No mods.

Notch 8

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagon
I agree that the Phase 1 fix turn my 2015 GSW into a sloth, however Phase 2 was the opposite. Plenty of power and my MPG is consistently over 50 on the highway. This last weeks road trip got me over 600 miles on a tank and 57.4 mpg according to the OBC. No mods.

Your car runs like mine did before the Phase 2 change. My car seems to run like yours did after Phase 1 but before Phase 2. Huge difference between two different cars that have supposedly undergone the same program. It's all over the internet that some cars run awful while others run great after Phase 1&2. Got me to wondering if the emissions are different too. Are some cars in compliance with regs while others aren't? Time to bring the EPA and CARB into this.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
My car is not the same as yours, but regardless other than a very minimal drop in mileage I noticed no difference in the way the car behaved after the Phase 1.

Just had Phase 2 done and before I took the car in I removed the Stage 2 Malone and boy did I notice a diffference in gitty up go. I'll probably re-install the Phase 2 on the weekend.

Ripster

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI (sold), 2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2005 Cummins
My car is a 2015 TDI Sportwagon with 28K miles on it. I bought it as a CPO vehicle with Phase 1 already having been done. Just got it back from the Phase 2 work and it's not the same car. It was very sluggish when I drove it out of the dealer service department especially in the mid-range. I put around 20 miles on it at different throttle settings and after a time the low end off-idle acceleration improved quite a bit but still wasn't the same as before Phase 2. (They told me that the computer will adapt to driving styles to a degree, not sure if that's true but seems to be) The worst is the mid-range response which has yet to improve. The throttle that used to seem so "bright" now feels dead in normal driving in the 35-70 mile per hour range. The car simply won't accelerate unless I nearly floor it and then it downshifts to the point where I'm accelerating harder then I want to and I have to back off. It used to stay in 6th and pull away with no problem. At first I thought it might be extreme turbo lag but now I don't think so. It's as though VW decided to program the torque out of the engine except in the higher RPM ranges. Downshifts are now the name of the game.
You have perfectly described the performance I was experiencing! Mine is a CPO 2015 Passat TDI DSG. Purchased in June 2018 with 35,xxx miles on the odometer. My local dealer says Phase 1 & 2 are done, but the under hood decal and VW website state the contrary. I said screw it and put a Malone tune on it.

Notch 8

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagon
You have perfectly described the performance I was experiencing! Mine is a CPO 2015 Passat TDI DSG. Purchased in June 2018 with 35,xxx miles on the odometer. My local dealer says Phase 1 & 2 are done, but the under hood decal and VW website state the contrary. I said screw it and put a Malone tune on it.

Great reply to my original post. Nice to know I'm not alone! Are you happy with the Malone? I hate to give up that warranty but if I want to keep the car that would be my only option. I can't live with it the way it is.

Ripster

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI (sold), 2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2005 Cummins
Great reply to my original post. Nice to know I'm not alone! Are you happy with the Malone? I hate to give up that warranty but if I want to keep the car that would be my only option. I can't live with it the way it is.
I only did the engine tune and I am very pleased. Power and torque are great, mileage not so much. I'm only getting 34 MPG so far, but I also drive very fast. I want to do the DSG tune too, but not sure how easy that will be to hide if I need warranty work. But I love the engine tune. It's a whole new car.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Tomorrow, my MY2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium gets the Phase 2 emissions modification. I am just barely over 19,000 miles now, so I'm expecting just the NOx sensor w/exhaust pipe modification, ECU & DSG re-flashes.

I did a baseline run today that gave me a route MPG, and I did testing on shift-points when in Drive and Sport modes (accelerating at a snail's pace, feathering the accelerator to climb speed as slowly as possible, on a flat paved road). The baseline should be very reproducible after Phase 2 is complete. The weather here locally is supposed to be the exact same the next 3-4 days regarding temperature, no rain, and very light if any winds. I intent to do the circuit again after Phase 2 at the same time in the early morning, so traffic is light (really non-existent on the country-side roads I took). No air conditioning, no headlights, no auxiliary power items turned on, except the Navigation map was on.

On the 71 mile route, I got 60.0 MPG on the display. Pretty steady 55 MPH or slower at times (never went over). I know this is a bit high compared to reality (about 3% high regarding my average taking fuel purchased and miles on the odometer), but in this case, comparing pre & post Phase 2 using the same method will produce the same %-effect of the Phase 2 fix, so I'm good with that.

After running this route (drivetrain all warmed up), I checked the current (post Phase 1, pre Phase 2) shift points on the DSG.

First, in Drive mode:
  • 1st to 2nd: 1200 RPM
  • 2nd to 3rd: 1800 RPM
  • 3rd to 4th: 1600 RPM
  • 4th to 5th: 1500 RPM
  • 5th to 6th: 1400 RPM
Now in Sport mode:
  • 2nd to 3rd: 2000 RPM
  • 3rd to 4th: 2000 RPM
  • 4th to 5th: 2000 RPM
  • 5th to 6th: 2000 RPM
I will not have any data on torque or HP, as I don't have access to a dyno. I may provide a perspective based on "feel".

I'll report back later this week on what the comparable post Phase 2 effects are compared to the information above.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
On the 71 mile route, I got 60.0 MPG on the display. Pretty steady 55 MPH or slower at times (never went over). I know this is a bit high compared to reality (about 3% high regarding my average taking fuel purchased and miles on the odometer), but in this case, comparing pre & post Phase 2 using the same method will produce the same %-effect of the Phase 2 fix, so I'm good with that.
That is far from certain. The software changes could easily alter consumption reading accuracy.

Last edited:

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
My MFD averages 4% above hand-calc. I'll still do an immediate follow-up on this route circuit to see what the MFD tells me. Then I'll compare the first refuel MPG against what the MFD tells me. If still around 4% high, I'll know the reflash did not affect accuracy.

Unless fuel rail pressure is changed in Phase 2, there should be no affect on MFD accuracy, unless that accuracy was purposely altered. In that case, the CRC will hear about that from me regarding VW perhaps not yet learning a lesson from all these penalties they've faced with similar deception. I'm really expecting this not to be the case and that the MFD accuracy remains unchanged from previous.

Notch 8

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagon
Tomorrow, my MY2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium gets the Phase 2 emissions modification. I am just barely over 19,000 miles now, so I'm expecting just the NOx sensor w/exhaust pipe modification, ECU & DSG re-flashes.

I did a baseline run today that gave me a route MPG, and I did testing on shift-points when in Drive and Sport modes (accelerating at a snail's pace, feathering the accelerator to climb speed as slowly as possible, on a flat paved road). The baseline should be very reproducible after Phase 2 is complete. The weather here locally is supposed to be the exact same the next 3-4 days regarding temperature, no rain, and very light if any winds. I intent to do the circuit again after Phase 2 at the same time in the early morning, so traffic is light (really non-existent on the country-side roads I took). No air conditioning, no headlights, no auxiliary power items turned on, except the Navigation map was on.

After running this route (drivetrain all warmed up), I checked the current (post Phase 1, pre Phase 2) shift points on the DSG.

First, in Drive mode:
  • 2nd to 3rd: 1800 RPM
  • 3rd to 4th: 1600 RPM
  • 4th to 5th: 1500 RPM
  • 5th to 6th: 1400 RPM
Now in Sport mode:
  • 2nd to 3rd: 2000 RPM
  • 3rd to 4th: 2000 RPM
  • 4th to 5th: 2000 RPM
  • 5th to 6th: 2000 RPM
I will not have any data on torque or HP, as I don't have access to a dyno. I may provide a perspective based on "feel".

I'll report back later this week on what the comparable post Phase 2 effects are compared to the information above.

Nice job absent access to a dyno! I'm going to be very interested in your "after" data but more so your take on the feel of the car, torque, etc. Many of us are complaining about a lack of torque and general sluggishness. Sincerely hope your car comes through with flying colors and you have none of that. Out of curiosity I'm going to check my Phase 2 shift point numbers against yours. Good luck tomorrow.