www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old April 27th, 2018, 09:17   #1
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI
Default VW Still Believes In Diesels; Unveils New 2.0 TDI Mild Hybrid

Diesels are dying? Not so fast, says Volkswagen.
https://www.motor1.com/news/240543/v...gine-revealed/

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2018, 10:10   #2
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Finally!
Old April 27th, 2018, 13:29   #3
tomo366
TDI Lifer

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/v...CAD-16-10abc4e
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2018, 07:41   #4
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Better news if it can find it's way across the permanent puddle. Wasn't the diesel hybrid part of the original concept behind the Atlas?
Old May 7th, 2018, 09:29   #5
tadawson
Veteran Member

Now if someone will come up with an 'electric delete' for it . . . :-) :-)
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2018, 17:13   #6
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Now if someone will come up with an 'electric delete' for it . . . :-) :-)
Then it won't start or charge because it replaces the function of the starter and alternator. You could put in an older bellhousing and conventional starter and maybe fit an accessory bracket from an older car with a conventional alternator, but who knows if the ring gear teeth on the flywheel will still exist...

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
Old May 7th, 2018, 17:23   #7
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

I'm all for a BAS system, although I question the utility of so much work being expended just to turn a non-firing engine in the 48V systems that have an e-drive mode (this TDI mild hybrid will not so I digress, but the 48V one used in the V6 TDI apparently will). More elegant would be to have the e-motor/generator in the bellhousing replacing/augmenting the clutch or torque converter.

I thought of doing a poor-man's regenerative retarder using a high-amp 12V alternator that is common in competition sound system circles. I'd add a bank of 18-20V li-ion batteries but nominally maintaining a ~60% SoC and standard 14.4V voltage. When I'm coasting or press a steering wheel button, the alternator would kick into full 18V and full amperage (300A is not uncommon), giving me 5.4 kW of retarding power that charges up the batteries. I can then descend down pretty decent grades without touching the brakes and recuperating the electrical energy as a bonus.

Last edited by TDIMeister; May 7th, 2018 at 17:27.
Old May 9th, 2018, 05:11   #8
LRTDI
Veteran Member

Aircraft starter motors are also alternators generating power. Ram is using a similar system for their new 2019 1500 Hybrids. The technology is coming.
LRTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2018, 07:21   #9
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTDI View Post
Aircraft starter motors are also alternators generating power. Ram is using a similar system for their new 2019 1500 Hybrids. The technology is coming.
For 2019, the hybrid option won't be available on the ecodiesel. At least that's what the current press is saying.
Old May 10th, 2018, 18:45   #10
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
I'm all for a BAS system, although I question the utility of so much work being expended just to turn a non-firing engine in the 48V systems that have an e-drive mode (this TDI mild hybrid will not so I digress, but the 48V one used in the V6 TDI apparently will). More elegant would be to have the e-motor/generator in the bellhousing replacing/augmenting the clutch or torque converter.

I thought of doing a poor-man's regenerative retarder using a high-amp 12V alternator that is common in competition sound system circles. I'd add a bank of 18-20V li-ion batteries but nominally maintaining a ~60% SoC and standard 14.4V voltage. When I'm coasting or press a steering wheel button, the alternator would kick into full 18V and full amperage (300A is not uncommon), giving me 5.4 kW of retarding power that charges up the batteries. I can then descend down pretty decent grades without touching the brakes and recuperating the electrical energy as a bonus.
I've thought on it too, with some big fat supercapacitors in the mix to suck up the fast spikes of power needed and produced. Some companies make wheel motors that bolt on, could be tossed onto the rear axle real easy.

Finally decided that nah, too much effort.
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 07:40   #11
cheezy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: NB-52.6, B4-37 city on 2 yo fuel!?

Yup, the diesel hybrid that pulls 60-125 mpg, with less emissions in the promise? Holy crap let's go already...You know GM won't do it.
cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 18:21   #12
MrSprdSheet
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '09 JSW TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
I've thought on it too, with some big fat supercapacitors in the mix to suck up the fast spikes of power needed and produced. Some companies make wheel motors that bolt on, could be tossed onto the rear axle real easy..
sort of like the old GT3 Hybbrid, you could use a flywheel. i'd swear it looks like one aboard the VW Pikes Peak entry, in pssgr seat.

in the end, 48v isnt propelling much (vs 300-800v), and it is tough to see modding it to satisfaction. it's pre-prius tech, for a couple more mpgs. cant even get decent regen from that. right?
MrSprdSheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 20:49   #13
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSprdSheet View Post
sort of like the old GT3 Hybbrid, you could use a flywheel.
then you gotta do some oddball stuff with CVTs or maybe an electric motor driving the flywheel and acting as a generator the other way round. Eh, seems easier to just dump the electric into caps and then do whatever with it from there.

Main difference in the high volt stuff versus the low volt stuff is the amperage and therefore size of components required. You can get a lot more wattage through a #1 gauge cable with 400V than with 48V. Same with the transistors in the motor controller, more power through smaller components with higher voltage.

I'm currently picturing a setup at about 60v with 5 batteries. Make up a go pedal with carbon contacts to power it from 2, 3, 4, 5 of the batteries for smoother starts. For winter braking have a separate pedal that shorts the motor to stainless rods as heating elements. Summer braking just use the normal service brakes. Maybe go with an even number of batteries and work out one hell of a series-parallel switch so you get even discharge across the bank.

voila, caveman tech electric car
I've gotta fit my new interstage intercooler, not fiddle with thinking about electric cars, haha
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 12:39   #14
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I hope those five batteries wouldn't be lead acid. Even cave men have moved well beyond that battery tech. for EV usage.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 19:54   #15
Billion003
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 Golf
Default Hybrid

Hybrid...doesn't that dictate automatic transmission? I'm assuming soon I will be having to sell my 2011 Golf TDI, 2-door, 6 speed manual back to VW. (No sunroof, too!).
I'm suffering a crisis in choosing what car I want going forward. (a) I want it to be a 2-door. (b) I want it to be a 6 speed manual. VW seems to have given up on these two basic choice combinations.
(3) I want it to be a diesel because of the low end torque. My present car doesn't feel tin can-ish like oh so many small small cars with high revving 4-cylinder engines.
Except for the Beetle VW won't even be making 2-doors. And I heard rumors the Beetle will be discontinued. And manual transmissions are being dropped, AFAIK. (I'm holding back a major cursing fit.). Broadly, 2-doors are being dropped, too.

At a certain level I am angry at VW for this situation. At another, I am angry at what I feel is an over reaction to the VW diesel problems. I get it that NOX are to be avoided, but for what feels like a couple of decades now the idea of the bug-a-boo of CO2 was screamed from every mainstream media "news outlet." Now, I am going to be forced into a vehicle that gets worse mpg and emits higher levels of CO2. Not only because of the gasoline engine, but also because of increased size and the near requirement of an automatic transmission, which all too often is a CVT. (No effin' thanks.)

My wife's Lexus went into the dealer shop today for breaks. We didn't know it was to be in the shop overnight so they drove is home in an RX 330 (350?...brand new). Its a $43,000+ automobile...and from the way it rode and sounded...it...ain't...worth...it.
There's such an astoundingly standardized/average feel to so many new automobiles these days.

I'm in a real dilemma. What automobile can replace my VW Golf...the car that in my life I've enjoyed the most?

Rant off...temporarily.
Billion003 is offline   Reply With Quote