www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old February 15th, 2018, 19:44   #46
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Just a thought... ELM v2.0 would not work on my 2001 TDI, but a v1.5 works fine. Maybe you could try a v2.0 if you can get one? I am just guessing here.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 11:14   #47
sportwagen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesl View Post
Update: I had the opportunity to test my torque setup on a 2015 golf wagon TDI, and everything seems to work, incl. EGTs, manifold pressure (requested and actual ), fuel pressure, DPF soot load etc.. In fact, the soot load was 24 gram, as the car had only ever been driven very short distances, and I saw it start a regeneration.
Tried both formulas on my 15 GSW TDI SE. I get values that never fluctuate of 135.7 and 102.8. Any ideas how to fix this?
sportwagen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 19:22   #48
Diesl
Veteran Member

Hi, sportwagen3, if you test one of the formulas, you get to see the whole block; maybe it will become obvious where the correct bytes are located. As I posted earlier, the old formula worked on a 2015 GSW that I test drove.

Edit: I was still looking at the R49/R50 bytes at that time, which is not correct anymore (not the B2C5 field) after the fix. What torque read showed a similar pattern (stuck at max. value when going into regeneration) as the correct field, but the readings are wrong. I'm not sure what they are for, since both SportWagen3's record and my car's 06B2 record after the fix are shorter than 49 bytes; I don't know what torque is reading in that case.

Last edited by Diesl; March 10th, 2018 at 05:49.
Diesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 19:30   #49
Diesl
Veteran Member

Update: after the emissions modification, my car seems to regenerate after about 320 instead of 170 miles, at about 23.x gram instead of 16.x gram. It also reaches 500C on temperature sensors B1S1 (cat) and EGT3 (between cat and DPF?) for short stretches (~30s) when running at 80 mph between regenerations.
Old March 8th, 2018, 22:21   #50
sportwagen3

So I updated the formula, but the values never fluctuate. Am I looking at the right values based on the screen shot on the link below?

https://m.imgur.com/FmfVAFT
Old March 9th, 2018, 10:16   #51
Diesl
Veteran Member

Does the '0467' increase (right after 'B2C412')? I think it's best to call up the test screen (the one you posted) once in a while after the car is warmed up and see which bytes increase more or less steadily.
Given that the soot value in normal operation should max out below about 30, you are looking for the high byte starting with a '0' and the second nibble between '0' and 'A' (roughly), and the next byte taking on all values from '00' to 'FF'.

Whereas before the emissions fix I was seeing on average 1 gram per ten miles increase in bytes R49 and R50, I'm now seeing about two thirds of that (in bytes R40 and R41), and on the highway a much lower rate of maybe 0.1 gram per ten miles.
Old March 9th, 2018, 10:20   #52
sportwagen3

Nope that 0467 hasn't changed even though I've driven at least 60 miles. I've been logging the numbers at the end of each trip so I'll see what fluctuates. So far the only fluctuations have been other numbers that are way out of range. Also, the R13 and R14 values turned to 0000 after being 04FF.
Old March 9th, 2018, 20:25   #53
Diesl
Veteran Member

Looking at the raw dumps (using the 'test button in the 'edit' section of the torque special PIDs menu), for my car the fields shifted, and the B2C5 number moved from R49/50 to R40/41 after the emissions modification for my 2012 TDI. So I'm still looking a the same number, just in a different location. From that I would conclude that the '04FF' is the right location in your imgur image.
How many miles on your 2015 wagon since the fix?
Old March 10th, 2018, 00:02   #54
sportwagen3

Over 15k miles since I bought it CPO. It's weird how my setup is different than yours even though it's the same car.
Old March 10th, 2018, 05:38   #55
Diesl
Veteran Member

Well, the 2015 is the first year (in the US) on the MQB basis, so the engine is completely new.

It's nice that VW is at least keeping the names of the fields in the OBD record the same. It would be best if Torque could find the fields by name instead of by offset. For example, in this case: look for 'B2C5' in the response, report bytes 2 and 3 after it. Maybe I'll post a suggestion in the torque forum.

Regarding your car: assuming you just came out of a regeneration, the pattern is correct (first a constant value, then reset to a lower value), but the numbers are odd (04FF = 12.79 gram as maximum value, 0 gram afterwards). It would help if other 2015 owners could report what they see.
Old March 10th, 2018, 21:08   #56
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I have a 2015 Beetle and using vag dpf right now. It regens at 24 grams soot. I have torque as well if you want any other readings from it. Just send me the formula to use.
Old March 10th, 2018, 21:15   #57
sportwagen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
I have a 2015 Beetle and using vag dpf right now. It regens at 24 grams soot. I have torque as well if you want any other readings from it. Just send me the formula to use.
Yea I used VAG DPF, but I've been trying to get the same data in Torque since I'm able to get Torque to work with Android Auto.

((R13<8)+R14)/100 or ((R13<8)+R14)/100 for PID 06b2. Can you take a screen shot of when you test the PID. That way we can compare data.
Old March 11th, 2018, 00:40   #58
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I used Torque with my other cars but the Beetle came with temp and boost gauges built in. So only really need to monitor soot now. The RNS315 I am installing doesn't do android.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; March 11th, 2018 at 00:44.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 13:57   #59
Diesl
Veteran Member

Supposedly INT16(R13:R14)/100 also works in the latest version.
Old March 12th, 2018, 23:50   #60
sportwagen3

I'm not sure if the soot level is correct based on the formula. I noticed VAG DPF gave me a different reading before and after regen in comparison to this. I've been using the values after the B2C5.