www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 8th, 2018, 09:39   #1
TPW

TDI(s): 2004 Passat
Default Timing Belt Change

I've completed the manual swap into my BHW TDI, but I think it's time for a new timing belt service since I can't find any documentation from previous owners. I have all the special tools, and have changed many timing belts on gas 1.8ts, 4.2 V8's and even 5 cylinder diesels. What I want to know is if anyone has marked the old timing belt and sprockets so that the new timing belt can go into the exact position and the distances would be correct so as not to cause major interference destruction. I have used this method many times on other timing belts and not had any problems.
TPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 10:11   #2
Sprocket
Sprockette's hubby

That is never the correct way to time an engine. You sound like you're more than capable of doing the job correctly, which is great. Buy or rent the tools to do the job properly instead of the "mark & pray" method. I'm sure others will chime in as well. Some have the tools that will rent them to you, but they are really not that expensive. You'll also need VCDS to fine tune the torsion.
B4V, 2.0L w/ BHW pistons, Rosten Rods, Girdle, 11mm, GTB1756vk, RC6, PP764s, .622 5th, Colt Cam II, Ecodes W/leveling motors & Euro switch, fog lights, Koni Yellow, Cat FF, Whitbread 2.5" DP, exhaust, FMIC
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 11:13   #3
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

If you have the special tools, then use them to lock the crank and the cam in place properly when you change the belt....

Otherwise you may be living my avatar.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 12:37   #4
vwztips
Veteran Member

FWIW, I have the proper tools and do use them. I make sure everything lines up with the old belt with the tools in place. The fact that the upper cam sprocket is loosened and can move several degrees (with the pin in), I always mark the old belt before removing and mark the new one from the old one. This helps me not worry about being a tooth off on the sprocket AFTER I tighten everything. It always seemed to be a hit or miss of being 1 tooth off on these and the 1.8t's and it gets annoying to loosen everything to get it back right. Of course I check everything with the tools and then turn the engine by hand at least 2 revolutions and then re-insert the tools. Works the first time every time. Just an added safety measure and helps not having to reset things on occasion.
vwztips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 13:47   #5
TPW

Thanks, I will use the tools to lock the cam and crank in place, but like vwztips writes it's nice to know that you are not one tooth off.
Old March 8th, 2018, 13:57   #6
vwztips
Veteran Member

You will figure that out during the process, but I have found marking helps avoid the possibility. I started doing that on 1.8t's because the timing marks were never dead on. It was always a half tooth off. If you lined the crank up on one side of the mark it was retarded and sluggish. Very annoying.......
Old March 8th, 2018, 17:56   #7
TPW

I got everything back together, and the car runs fine, but the tensioner does not point to the notch anymore. It is a few degrees to the left (but not too far). Should loosen the nut and move the pointer to the notch again?
Old March 9th, 2018, 06:48   #8
vwztips
Veteran Member

No, they tend to move once the belt stretches. They are never aligned when I go to replace them.