www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 8th, 2018, 12:01   #16
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

OK, latest log, first attempt at this. Sadly, after WOT run, very loud high pitch whine coming from engine. RPM-related, remained even if clutch pushed in. Diagnosing, but it's not a good sound. All boost tubes in place and look good. Whine louder from above engine, hardly any whine from below. Sigh.

2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 12:25   #17
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

remove your serpentine and see if the noise goes away... serpentine idlers, rollers, and even the alternator can make a whine
Old March 8th, 2018, 12:36   #18
Judson
Veteran Member

Yeah, just did that at the advice of my mechanic. Didn't make a difference.

Honestly, sounds to me like it's coming right from the injection pump...!!! ????
No whine from below at all. But he believes that it's the output side of the turbo that's machining itself.
A new VNT17, no less. He may come up and take a look in person. I clearly can't drive it to his place.
2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.

Last edited by Judson; March 8th, 2018 at 13:08.
Old March 8th, 2018, 15:13   #19
Judson
Veteran Member

Pic of cold (airbox input) side of turbo:

Does that look right? I have no idea.

Thanks all.
Old March 8th, 2018, 16:18   #20
jimbote

turbo is trashed
Old March 9th, 2018, 08:51   #21
Judson
Veteran Member

Hey Jimbote -

Talked with Jeff - you're right, unplugged the MAF should run better if the MAF was bad, as he put in a stock program for MAF-less situations.

He also says that the vendor I received my turbo from has been known to use Chinese turbos. Guess we'll see if I get a refund.

Needless to say I'll only be getting stuff from IDParts, or via my mechanic in the future. At least my mechanic will fully warrantee stuff - install and all.
Old March 9th, 2018, 10:59   #22
jimbote

can you share what vendor ? pm me if want it kept confidential
Old March 9th, 2018, 11:33   #23
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Dutch Auto Parts is a trusted vendor of turbos, transmissions, and many other ALH parts and he has very reasonable prices.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2018, 08:38   #24
Judson
Veteran Member

If I was the guy doing all of the work, then yes, I'd buy/install myself. But I'm not. There are some jobs I leave to people with 1000x more hours working on cars than myself, and there are some jobs I can do myself without effing anything up, and can easily recover from if I do.

I have learned to never underestimate decades of experience of wrenching versus a shade tree mechanic's skills.