www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 8th, 2018, 15:26   #1
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta
Default Very loud whine after WOT run - turbo?

Folks -

This is a new problem, and deserves a different title/thread, since it may be of use to someone else...

I did a WOT run in third gear from 25 mph full throttle to do some logging. Almost immediately after, maybe a minute, I started getting a very very loud whine coming from the motor.

Symptoms: loud whine which goes by RPM only, not speed related. When idling at a standstill, push in clutch, rev the motor, whine gets louder by engine RPM. At idle hardly any whine at all. By 1500 RPMS, getting very loud, 2000 RPMs is about the max I dare to go.

What's been done:

Using a shovel on the accelerator, at only 1500 RPMs, whine is so loud I dare not go higher in the RPM range.

When listening from under the car, FMJ removed, can't hear it much at all.
From engine compartment, very very loud.

Removed sepertine belt, whine still is there. So can't be alternator, or those pulleys.

Removed top timing belt cover, whine remains.

Removed hot side hose, and looked for metal shavings. Didn't see anything obvious, but I swear the little 3" extension hose that goes to the intercooler did have little things fall out. Happened so fast I can't be sure.

Removed inlet hose (cool side). Here's a pic:

Here's a pic of oil in the intake tube, meaning after I removed the intake that was the end of it, which goes into the cold side of the turbo. Not sure if normal:

Any suggestions most appreciated. It's a VNT17 from Aaron, almost new.

Jud.
2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.

Last edited by Judson; March 8th, 2018 at 15:31.
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 21:41   #2
Momentslater

Fuel Economy: 43/54mpg

Have you checked the vacuum pump? My first thought was power steering pump but youve already ruled that out (Powerstroke still stuck in my head).

If you create a huge exhaust leak (removing EGR block off plate) does the whine not increase very well with rpm?

If it's not the vacuum pump or turbo my only other guess would be the water pump or oil pump.
Momentslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2018, 18:54   #3
shoebear
Veteran Member

Check the timing belt for damage and also to see if it rides centered on the pulleys. I had a tensioner fail, which caused the timing belt to go off center and rub. Luckily, I caught it before the belt snapped.
shoebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2018, 01:29   #4
UhOh
Veteran Member

Stethoscope.

Did you check axial play on the turbo?

How new is this turbo? Sometimes DOAs happen. Also, did you prime the turbo (oil feed line) when you installed it?

Follow your ears.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 06:44   #5
Judson
Veteran Member

The day I posted this I cupped my ear and though it was injection pump whine, but it wasn’t, and also pulled off upper cover and checked timing belt - which was fine and not rubbing at all.

Getting it towed to my mechanic today.
2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.
Old March 12th, 2018, 11:37   #6
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

The picture shows a lot of galling on the compressor wheel blades, like it sucked in some dirt or something. You will have to wait to get an official diagnosis from Aaron.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 16:22   #7
Judson
Veteran Member

Oh one more thing: during the diagnosis phase Brandon had me pull the intake and boost tube off the turbo and start her up and run her briefly to make sure it was turbo. Sure enough no sound.

Ordered up new VNT-17 from ID Parts today. Mechanic couldn’t source one via his supplier. So it will be later next week before she’s back together.
Old March 13th, 2018, 00:11   #8
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI View Post
The picture shows a lot of galling on the compressor wheel blades, like it sucked in some dirt or something. You will have to wait to get an official diagnosis from Aaron.
Yeah, after closer inspection (I just glanced at the picture) if this is new turbo there's some wear happening that one shouldn't be seeing. Just under the nut (about the 2 o'clock position) it looks like the wheel's collar has a chip? Looked at pictures of the turbo in my blue Golf and it looks better and it's got over 200k miles on it.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote