www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 20th, 2018, 16:09   #16
Momentslater

Fuel Economy: 43/54mpg

If I can't just replace the cam and lifters what am I looking at doing specifically? What parts do I need to get?
Momentslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 20:54   #17
whitedog
Veteran Member

Contact franko6. He will let you know what you need.
Old February 21st, 2018, 03:50   #18
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momentslater View Post
If I can't just replace the cam and lifters what am I looking at doing specifically? What parts do I need to get?
You need to take the head off. You cannot tell what you need until you do. Quit asking, and take it apart, or part ways with the car. We cannot see inside the engine.

The head may be able to be fixed, it may need to be replaced. You may have a bent rod and/or a cracked piston. You need to take the head off.
Old February 21st, 2018, 08:35   #19
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Moments, read what Oilhammer said AGAIN AND AGAIN until it compels you to get the wrenches out and remove the head.

If you replace the cam and lifters and do NOT remove the head the odds are VERY HIGH that you have a bent or otherwise compromised valve stem AT LEAST. There is NO WAY to see that without removing the head and then removing the valves. If it happened, and it almost-certainly did, you will be driving down the road at some indeterminate point in the future -- maybe a day from now, maybe a week from now, maybe a year from now -- and the valve in question will break with the mushroom dropping into the cylinder.

WHEN that happens the engine will stop immediately as the valve head won't fit in the space available. It ALSO has a very high probability of gouging the crap out of the piston, head, cylinder wall or all of the above. That has a high probability of at best trashing the rod and piston involved, plus the head, and a decent probability of damaging the bore badly enough that the engine is junk.

Take the head off and send it to Frank06.
Genesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 18:12   #20
UhOh
Veteran Member

OP, if you do the work yourself then I'm guessing you're looking at a low of around $750(?) to a high of...

As Oilhammer said, pull the head or get rid of it. SOMEONE is eventually going to have to pull the head. You might find out things are on the lower side of the repair equation BUT still opt to get rid of the car; in this case you'd be able to get more money because the (likely) full extent of the damage will be known. If you don't pull the head then anyone looking to buy the car pretty much has to assume that there's lower end damage and thus would be offering less money less because of this (assumption).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 20:42   #21
Momentslater

I'm going to pull the head tomorrow, I'm going to buy the head rebuild kit from idparts if the head looks good and there's no cracks and or bottom end damage. If the head is damaged I'll get a new head and if the bottom end is damaged I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I got the car for $800 2 months ago, it had a clogged intake and the original owner wasn't very mechanically inclined. I gathered all its service records (all dealer work). $8000 worth of misc repairs and prevt. matinance over the past 2 years, timing belt/waterpump is 15k km old.

Last edited by Momentslater; February 21st, 2018 at 20:45.
Old February 21st, 2018, 21:25   #22
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Figure out why the cam fractured. That's a rather odd failure in these engines.
Genesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 21:49   #23
Momentslater

I can't really seem to think of any reason for the cam to snap, unless a piece of carbon broke off the intake that I missed and something happened in the combustion chamber? I can't think of anything outside of the valve-train to cause this failure.
Old February 21st, 2018, 22:28   #24
UhOh
Veteran Member

This one is going to be worth the price of admission!
Old March 2nd, 2018, 16:02   #25
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Any update?
ToxicDoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2018, 10:12   #26
wonneber
Veteran Member

Maybe we offended him?
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 10:26   #27
Momentslater

I put a new head in last night and ended up breaking an injector fuel return nipple. Other than that it runs great again. Was never really able to figure out the cause of the failure.
Old March 8th, 2018, 11:30   #28
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Nice work!
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 23:34   #29
UhOh
Veteran Member

Well, crap, would have been nice to have solved the mystery, but, I suppose, the bottom line is to have a working engine! Good to hear that it's back in operation.
Old March 8th, 2018, 23:40   #30
Momentslater

The 1st and 3rd cam bearings were destroyed, the rest were perfect. Loss of lubrication due to PO use of bad oil clogging oil passages in the head causing failure of the cam bearings? There was metal shavings left behind in cylinder 1 when I pulled the head off, the shavings were copper in colour so I just chalked it up to valve/piston contact and moved on with the repair.