www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old March 6th, 2018, 18:39   #1
Cottickc

Default 2004 2.0 liter BHW swap into 1994 Toyota

Iím new here and have done a fair bit of research, but with so much knowledge on this site I figured I would look for assistance. I got the BHW out of the donor 2004 Passat, I have the entire wire harness that was in the engine bay(unplugged it from the ECU and electrical block under it). I am swapping into a 1994 Toyota 4X4 pickup with a manual transmission Here are my questions:

1). What do I need from the inside wire harness besides the accelerator pedal and scanner plug?

2). Thoughts on swapping to the old style oil pump from the balance shaft model I currently have?

3). Thoughts on the EGR delete?

4). Was going to send the ECU to Malone tuning to have the immobilization removed and a stage 2 tune, anything else I need done to get it to run?

Iím good on all the mechanical and fabrication work, itís the electrical portion I could really use some advice.

Thanks
Cottickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 01:57   #2
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

grab the entire harness, relay, and fuse box, your life will be much easier with all the bits... affirmative on the bsm delete, my bhw/alh hybrid is deleted, zero issues over 125k miles
Old March 7th, 2018, 04:29   #3
PickleRick
Veteran Member

I've noticed the egr issues on the BHW are not nearly as common as other vw diesels. I'd consider Michigan near the artic circle(compared to my local). Would tossing the egr on that conversion lead to a longer engine warm up time/colder cab heat longer for minimal power gain?

Also, are the stock Toyota flywheels heavy enough on this conversion or should the swaps use the near 40lbs centerforce clutch/flyweel combo that was developed for the off road yota guys with dual transfercase set ups looking to pop the clutch without a stall while climbing rocks?
Old March 7th, 2018, 06:27   #4
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Affirmative on the above - go with the Delete - 200k km on mine (ALH pump, BRM gears) with no issues.

I also would not worry about the EGR on this engine, they cause few if any problems, unlike earlier cars. I had mine out to check and it had minimal carbon around it.

Malone did the auto-manual stage2 tune on mine, no issues there either.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 17:06   #5
Cottickc

Any specific oil pump kits that you recommend? Does anyone sell a specific wire harness for these swaps? Does anyone recommend a specific adapter kit? I was looking at the Acme kits. Thanks
Old March 7th, 2018, 18:21   #6
PickleRick
Veteran Member

I've heard too many issues with the acme kits being off center. This has led to input shaft bearings going out and other transmissions damage. Gastodiesel sells kits for a few hundred more that will both fit better and are more compete. He's also a vendor on here.

You'll have to make your own harness. I'm having a malone tune done on both my BHW projects by another vendor here who does the malone tune in the states. Malone should be able to provide diagrams on the BHW for you, if not others should be able to help. I'll be getting some in a few weeks and the moment i do I'll gladly share the wealth.

You'll want to remove the harness from your donor car. Don't give into the urge to cut anything! It's supposed to be simple from what ive been told. Ive yet to pull mine. Between work and my 5 speed 05 tdi passat conversion I've been too busy. Once my driver passat is ready to go the work begins on putting the 2.0 motor in my boat.
Old March 7th, 2018, 18:35   #7
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Member Hasenwerk can also do a custom tie-in of the BHW ECU and harness to talk to the rest of the vehicle, plus the necessary programming for a manual transmission on said ECU, immo-delete and gauge cluster-ignore.

Brake and clutch pedal switches should probably also be added.

How are people doing VSS?

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 19:36   #8
PickleRick
Veteran Member

If I remember correctly its just like the land cruiser and run off of the transfer case. You probably are not asking in reference to the speedo....i should on bed

Last edited by PickleRick; March 7th, 2018 at 19:38.
PickleRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 06:23   #9
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottickc View Post
Any specific oil pump kits that you recommend? Does anyone sell a specific wire harness for these swaps? Does anyone recommend a specific adapter kit? I was looking at the Acme kits. Thanks
I went with this one: https://www.idparts.com/balance-shaf...hw-p-3161.html

As it came with everything ready to go. Other vendors also sell a similar kit.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 11:42   #10
Cottickc

Ok, thanks for all the support. I will say... getting the complete harness out of the donor Passat on the inside of the car is challenging... that thing is burried like a tick on a coon hounds hind end. But, I didnít cut any wires and got it out. Take your time! Itís a massive bundle of wires! Now I get to work backwards from the engine to figure out what stays.